Who's Tried the $145 USD Burger in Phnom Penh?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Who's Tried the $145 USD Burger in Phnom Penh?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

There's a prolific barang eater of foods around the place who I saw on a Facebook group eating this yesterday

It looked much better than this low res picture & and I would eat it in a heartbeat so long as I didn't get the bill to pay afterwards
Last edited by Jerry Atrick on Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

306 serves food for rich Khmer who think paying 30 dollars for a "pizza" is a deal
Uncle-V
Expatriate
Croatia

Post by Uncle-V »

cautious colin wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:42 pm looks like they have just decided to clear out the fridge

you said it. That combination actually sounds kind of gross.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

hanno wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:22 am I have spent quite a bit of money on a decent feed in the past, but there is no way that I would put down $145 for a burger. Particularly not in a poor country and at a time when a lot of people do not know where their next meal is coming from.
LMAO agree, this seems more like NYC prices, in fact there its probably not news. Check out this place called Nellos.
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

Jerry Atrick wrote:There's a prolific barang eater of foods around the place who I saw on a Facebook group eating this yesterday

It looked much better than this low res picture & and I would eat it in a heartbeat so long as I didn't get the bill to pay afterwards
I saw that too, but I think he had the Angus beef one, no?
Either way, he sucketh the bones and dranketh the greeeeeease.
Each to his own, but I can't imagine living my life to gorge on rich foods.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

nemo wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:31 pm It is a marketing ploy.
But the food there is well overpriced
Yeah, I went once but couldn't tell what they were trying to be. A bakery? A restaurant? A high-end one now?

The price of their pastries is almost double that of places like Eric Keyser and Khema, so I don't know who their target market is. Now they're serving +$100 burgers, but the place is lit with very bright white LED lights and an open-space concept with tables everywhere. I can't see myself fine-dining there as it feels like a sort of fast-food joint, not the quiet, intimate place that you'd expect when the price tag creeps up.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Some high end places hedge their bets.
The new restaurant at the Amanajaya is very smart. You can choose $150 dishes or you can have a 3 course set lunch for $15. Free water too.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

FrankReynolds wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:37 am
Jerry Atrick wrote:There's a prolific barang eater of foods around the place who I saw on a Facebook group eating this yesterday
Either way, he sucketh the bones and dranketh the greeeeeease.
And all who heard should see them there,
And all should cry, Beware! Beware!
His flashing eyes, his floating hair!

Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread
For he on Smash Burger 306 hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise.

Sam Coleridge didn't say why, but i believe the warning anyway.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I doubt this restaurant is targeting your average CEO member :)
Ctasphnompenh
Tourist

Post by Ctasphnompenh »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:23 pm There's a prolific barang eater of foods around the place who I saw on a Facebook group eating this yesterday

What, the one who looks like Uncle Fester?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic