Aircon usage

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BOFH
Expatriate

Re: Aircon usage

Post by BOFH »

StroppyChops wrote:There's another one?
Yeah, they opened it over a year ago. Wat Phnom office only does bill payments nowadays as far as I know.

When they turn you off because your neighbor gave you the bill the day it had to be paid you need to travel out near by the stadium to hand them the 10KKHR bribe. That's where they do all the admin stuff.
StroppyChops wrote:Our power bill nearly doubled last month from $80 to $140. I firmly believe at least one of the neighbors is jacked in on our supply though. Neighbors with similar equipment/usage are paying under $50pm at the moment.
You should get that checked ASAP. Make sure to get somebody competent. Or just, you know, go for holiday with your power switched off and check the meter when you're back :-)

On the other hand, are you sure that you're not running more transformers than the others in your area? By usage I guess you don't mean the recorded kWh.
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Hell, my power was $20 last month. That includes fridge, washing machine, servers and other computers that are practically running 24/7. When I was running aircon it was $120. You see why I stopped :-)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

BOFH wrote:You should get that checked ASAP. Make sure to get somebody competent. Or just, you know, go for holiday with your power switched off and check the meter when you're back :-)

On the other hand, are you sure that you're not running more transformers than the others in your area? By usage I guess you don't mean the recorded kWh.
I'm going to bring in a third-party electrician when I can find a competent one that speaks English. The landlord's niece lives next door and his nephew lives three doors down, conveniently there are no sub mains in our house but when the power trips it needs to be reset from next door. I've challenged him directly on it, he's adamant there's nothing dodgy going on. Also considering putting one of those cheap apartment meters in and comparing it to the EDC bill. Will get around to switching off the house and then checking the meter for activity.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

BOFH wrote:On the other hand, are you sure that you're not running more transformers than the others in your area?
There's a couple of laptop, monitor, mini-server transformers running constantly, and three small UPS, bit can't imagine they'd make that much difference.

Also have a couple of black-out light/fans sitting on charge.
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

StroppyChops wrote:I'm going to bring in a third-party electrician when I can find a competent one that speaks English. The landlord's niece lives next door and his nephew lives three doors down, conveniently there are no sub mains in our house but when the power trips it needs to be reset from next door. I've challenged him directly on it, he's adamant there's nothing dodgy going on. Also considering putting one of those cheap apartment meters in and comparing it to the EDC bill. Will get around to switching off the house and then checking the meter for activity.
This sounds very dodgy. Your landlord's niece doesn't happen to be studying to be an electrician, just to add to it? :?

So, the box for your supply is actually inside somebody else's house? Almost sounds like it was built to be tampered with. Get a meter no doubt. Even if you send somebody in to check it there's nothing that stops them from removing those wires conveniently for your electrician friend.
StroppyChops wrote:There's a couple of laptop, monitor, mini-server transformers running constantly, and three small UPS, bit can't imagine they'd make that much difference.
I can't either. I literally have a hard time going above $25 without AC, so I guess that's a benchmark. I've got more things powered on when I'm not home than most others I know. Maybe you have a really aggressive microwave or something?

Na, I'm going to side with your speculations about your neighbors...
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Come to think of it. Getting the bill the way as Jacob does from his landlord may actually protect you against this sort of box hijacking, since the bill goes for the meter inside and not outside. Interesting perspective, I at least never thought of it from this angle.

A choice of robber. How convenient. Kingdom of Wonder.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Our premises has the meter on the post out on the road, but the wiring then disappears on its way into our property... not sure what fuse box is housed next door, and what mystery wires might run from it. That's why I'm thinking the cheap internal meter might suddenly scare the landlord.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Jacobincambodia wrote:
BOFH wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote:Interesting. Didn't know that was within my control. Something to think about...
If you want to save face you can always have EDC disconnect your landlord from the house and install your subscription separately. Then you show him his unchanged meter everytime he comes by to check.

All extra that you pay on a non-EDC electricity bill is literally tea money. Official price for going to and from EDC wouldn't be more than $5 even by taxi from the other side of town. Offer him $5 compensation or something.
What about my contract? It says I will pay .30/kWh. And do I mention we are in an apartment complex?
Personally, I think you have a ZERO chance of doing what BOFH is suggesting.

You pay what the landlord asks, negotiate something lower, or move.

I don't even think EDC would come and hook your single apartment up to private line. If that were even possible, the landlord would do it for each individual apartment, as the price for electricity is cheaper per account if you don't use over a certain threshold.

And there is also no chance you could show up at EDC and say, "Oh, I'm not paying the whole bill for the apartment complex, I just want to pay for what my meter says in my room."
Spoiler:
Buy an inverter. Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

BOFH wrote:Come to think of it. Getting the bill the way as Jacob does from his landlord may actually protect you against this sort of box hijacking, since the bill goes for the meter inside and not outside. Interesting perspective, I at least never thought of it from this angle.

A choice of robber. How convenient. Kingdom of Wonder.
No ladder required. I just open the box and check the numbers. Makes me want to invest in an inverter air con. I had it on 24 last night in auto mode from 8-6 or so and it saved us .75. Wow.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I would get one of the places that sells and installs air-conditioners to come and put a meter and a switch by your aircon [ the same as mine in the photo ]. My estimate ,,, $15 for meter, $3 for switch . wiring $2 and $20 for the electrician. When you move house you can take the meter with you, as it just involves turning off the switch and removing.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic