Aircon usage

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Aircon usage

Post by Jacobincambodia »

Interesting. So maybe .50 an hour...
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I think if JiC sets the temp for 20C, that's really low and it's going to run close to constantly since most rooms are sieves. JiC, do you have upper wall vents? Go in and out of the apartment a lot? Run heat-producing computers and TVs a lot? Have several people in the rooms frequently? All this is going to cost a lot of money.

One thing worth doing, since Asians are incapable of maintenance, is having someone come over, clean the inside machine's filters and the outside unit's filters. This can make a big difference.

A story: First, I run my a/c temp at 26C here in Thailand. One time in a previous apartment, I had to run my bedroom a/c at 22C. After it was cleaned, I could reduce that to 25. Big difference in efficiency and costs.

Another tip: running the a/c at 20, makes the transition to walking outside all the more painful. You should gradually get used to higher interior temps by raising the temp control. It's way harder to step outside when your body is acclimatized to 20C. All my friends who have lived in SEA for decades set the a/c temp at 25 or more.
Last edited by ExPenhMan on Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

You need an inverter. : stir:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

ExPenhMan wrote:I think if JiC sets the temp for 20C, that's really low and it's going to run close to constantly since most rooms are sieves. JiC, do you have upper wall vents? Go in and out of the apartment a lot? Run heat-producing computers and TVs a lot? Have several people in the rooms frequently? All this is going to cost a lot of money.

One thing worth doing, since Asians are incapable of maintenance, is having someone come over, clean the inside machine's filters and the outside unit's filters. This can make a big difference.

A story: First, I run my a/c temp at 26C here in Thailand. One time in a previous apartment, I had to run my bedroom a/c at 22C. After it was cleaned, I could reduce that to 25. Big difference in efficiency and costs.

Another tip: running the a/c at 20, makes the transition to walking outside all the more painful. You should gradually get used to higher interior temps by raising the temp control. It's way harder to step outside when you're body is acclimatized to 20C. All my friends who have lived in SEA for decades set the a/c temp at 25 or more.
We upped the temp to 24 last night. I set the timer but that didn't work. Not sure why. Good tips, thanks.
General Mackevili wrote:You need an inverter. : stir:
I thought it was an inverter type Aircon. It says "split type." Isn't that an inverter?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

No clue what "split type" means, but I'm almost certain it would say "INVERTER" on it somewhere if it was an inverter.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Split-type only describes the fact the the a/c system is physically split into two: the heat exchanger is inside, the compressor (noisy bit) is outside. BTW, if it's an inverter system, it will say so on the machine somewhere. It's far more efficient and uses way less electricity.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Ah, good to know. Thanks!
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Jacobincambodia wrote:In Takhmao, we were paying 820 for electric. At our apartment, we pay a lovely 1200 or .30 per kWh.
You've gone from 820R to 1200R per kWh? Doesn't sound like you're receiving an EDC bill. Sounds more like you're being fleeced by your new landlord. It's a common scam.

Have you considered ignoring the bogus electricity bills and travelling to EDC instead? You can pay them directly and they will give you your actual 820R/kWh bill as long as you know your address, from where you can usually guess the official name of the bill receiver and then pay the proper amount. Once you've gotten the hang of it after doing it successully the first time you can politely ask the landlord to leave when he shows up with a pen and pad to enter your house for checking the meters.
Last edited by BOFH on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

BOFH wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote:In Takhmao, we were paying 820 for electric. At our apartment, we pay a lovely 1200 or .30 per kWh.
You've gone from 820R to 1200R per kWh? Doesn't sound like you're receiving an EDC bill. Sounds more like you're being fleeced by your new landlord. It's a common scam.

Have you considered ignoring the bogus electricity bills and travelling to EDC instead? You can pay them directly and they will give you your actual 820R/kWh bill as long as you know your address, from where you can usually guess the official name of the bill receiver.
Isn't it up to the landlord? It's his apartment complex.
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Jacobincambodia wrote:Isn't it up to the landlord? It's his apartment complex.
Not really. Electricity is supplied to the person living there by the government; Electricitie du Cambodge. kWh rates are set at static rates in the prakas.

It's up to the landlord to decide the rent price. Charging outrageous amounts per kWh is a common (thieving) way of boosting the rent.

You can actually have the subscriber info changed at EDC. You are their customer, not your landlord.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic