Why do foreigners refuse to wear a mask?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Why do foreigners refuse to wear a mask?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:04 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:17 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:22 pm
The thing is, if you're riding a bike/moto, you invariably have to pull up at traffic lights where you are less than 1.5m from other people. And also, I believe cops can fine you if you're not wearing a mask on your bike/moto.

A few months ago pretty much the few people that I spotted not wearing masks were almost all white. Now it's about 50-50, but given the tiny expat proportion of the population they are still well over-represented. Not to mention you give us all a bad reputation.
I don't live in Phnom Penh, maybe my behaviors would be different in a busy city - but I cannot wear a surgical mask on the moto; it doesn't stay on my face putting the helmet on and gets broken if I try.

Plus, I care far more about cranial protection while riding than about feelings and emotions of others, so it's helmet on and mask off

Pull up outside a shop, helmet off, mask on and in I go. If somebody is within 1.5m of me while my mask is off then they are, I don't lose sleep over it - why worry about something that I am powerless over?
Huh? I see hundreds of people wearing both masks and helmets every day!
I wear a full face, branded helmet, not one of these shit chinese or thai plastic excuses for helmets; not possible to wear a surgical mask in it; i have tried
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:16 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:04 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:17 pm
The thing is, if you're riding a bike/moto, you invariably have to pull up at traffic lights where you are less than 1.5m from other people. And also, I believe cops can fine you if you're not wearing a mask on your bike/moto.

A few months ago pretty much the few people that I spotted not wearing masks were almost all white. Now it's about 50-50, but given the tiny expat proportion of the population they are still well over-represented. Not to mention you give us all a bad reputation.
I don't live in Phnom Penh, maybe my behaviors would be different in a busy city - but I cannot wear a surgical mask on the moto; it doesn't stay on my face putting the helmet on and gets broken if I try.

Plus, I care far more about cranial protection while riding than about feelings and emotions of others, so it's helmet on and mask off

Pull up outside a shop, helmet off, mask on and in I go. If somebody is within 1.5m of me while my mask is off then they are, I don't lose sleep over it - why worry about something that I am powerless over?
Huh? I see hundreds of people wearing both masks and helmets every day!
I wear a full face, branded helmet, not one of these shit chinese or thai plastic excuses for helmets; not possible to wear a surgical mask in it; i have tried
OK you can probably get away with that then.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

xandreu wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:10 pm So if you are outside, on your own, with no-one else in the near vicinity, especially if you're doing something like riding a moto where you're moving through air quickly, putting on a mask is in public is about as effective as putting a condom over your head.

When these latest restrictions came in, didn't they threaten $50 on the spot fines for anyone found outside without a mask?

I remember Mrs Cargo berating me to make sure I did so when I went out.

Doesn't sound like enforcement was efficacious though..
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Actually, back in the day, wearing a mask was considered to be "cool".

Image Image
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:03 pm
xandreu wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:10 pm So if you are outside, on your own, with no-one else in the near vicinity, especially if you're doing something like riding a moto where you're moving through air quickly, putting on a mask is in public is about as effective as putting a condom over your head.

When these latest restrictions came in, didn't they threaten $50 on the spot fines for anyone found outside without a mask?

Not too efficient but then I don't see many people out without masks. As I mentioned earlier my son and his friends were fined $50 each on one of the islands recently for not wearing masks, and they were in the middle of nowhere.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:34 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:03 pm

Not too efficient but then I don't see many people out without masks. As I mentioned earlier my son and his friends were fined $50 each on one of the islands recently for not wearing masks, and they were in the middle of nowhere.
Yes, I should have qualified my comment is based on my experience living in the Daun Penh/Riverside area. I tend to walk a fair bit rather than take the moto and in those back streets, every day I see both khmers and barangs not wearing masks. The %? I dunno..maybe 15%.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Fair enough, I work centrally but rarely go near that area. It's full of degenerates. :lol:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I wouldn't say full of degenerates is correct. I live in aforementioned area, and I can categorically tell you that some other people seem seemly. By all accounts they both have virtuous reputations.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

The current R-naught for the Delta variant falls between five and nine, according to recent documents from the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (U.S. CDC). Recently the U.S. CDC updated their estimate to reflect the Delta variant having an R-naught of 8.5. Many other estimates predict the R-naught of the Delta variant as falling between six and eight with several scientists predicting an average of seven. This represents a substantial increase in the virus' ability to spread amongst and infect people.
If this is true it will have run it's course in the next few months.
https://health-desk.org/articles/how-co ... s-diseases
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic