Why do foreigners refuse to wear a mask?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Why do foreigners refuse to wear a mask?

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:30 am
ressl wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:14 pm Months ago I had some serious discussions with my boss, who refuses to get vaccinated and wear a mask when he is alone in the office. He is completely resistant for any argument, starting from having couple of people every day in that room and ending with the basic question about who gets protected by the mask. In the end, I gave up on him, but when I was driving down riverside today (which is usually not on my way) I couldn't believe that virtually none of the countless foreigners sitting in the bars and restaurants was wearing a mask; not a single one! I mean, sure, when you have your dinner or beer it gets a bit in the way, but those guys were either just sitting around or chatting in small groups with each other. Maybe having been working for 12 years in the healthcare business makes me a bit sensitive for protective measurements, but can anyone give an explanation why people who supposed to have a certain amount of knowledge behave that careless/ignorant?
I’m hazarding a guess, here- I’ll bet that your survey of foreigners that actually led to your statistical proof that foreigners refuse war masks is actually limited to a very small cross section.
Which might be a very flawed study on your part, for the following reasons-

Foreigners.
Is that all foreigners? British, Irish, german, French, chinese, japanese, etc?
I’m a dunce when it comes to languages. I won’t starve in French, and I can insult the in-laws in Khmer, but I’m largely locked into English

Driving Down riverside.
It’s a supposition, but I’d say that does not leave you in the best position to query these foreigners about their reasons, and therefore you’ll be unable to state as fact that they actually refused. Your observation of this ‘fact’ is based on your observation alone, with a relative speed differential of about 15mph*. Given that some are seated in restaurants and bars where it might be reasonable to assume the consumption of food and beverages is under way, it seems to me that you would not have sufficient time to question anyone, let alone establish in which language to continue the interrogation of the suspect.

One presumes you have some familiarity with the concept of bars and restaurants. (? I’ll give you a question mark, but it’s not really a question)

Protective measurements.
After some 12 years in the healthcare business, you talk of protective measurements, not measures. In the last 18months or so, the most common protective measurements that I’ve encountered are

-2m
-1m
-1.5m
-6ft

What exactly was your involvement in the healthcare business?

A janitor in a school could claim a long term involvement in the education business, but might be hard pressed to convince anyone of their suitability as a teacher (except maybe in Cambodia, so maybe a bad example). Likewise, an accountant in healthcare could equally be an accountant for a bakery. I wouldn’t want to rely on an appendix operation or loaf of bread by their hands.
Plus, long term exposure to the afflicted hoi polloi might also render you overly sensitive to the point of OCD.

Might your question be rephrased as-
can anyone give an explanation why people who allude to having a certain amount of knowledge behave so obtusely?
?

To which the answer is a definitive
Yes, anyone can
Is your ire really directed at the unknown foreigner, or your oberst?

*something of the order of 6-7m/s.
If you want, you can stick your head up a cow's ass to check out the round roast, sirloin and a London broil, but I'd just as soon take the butcher's word for it.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

JB wrote: It's not that hard. Getting arrested for not wearing one is a pain in the ass.
8)
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:26 pm

What do they do to you?! Permanent fixture!
Nothing happened to me. However my teenage son was riding around one of the islands with his friends a few weeks ago and four of them on two bikes got arrested for not wearing masks. It was ridiculous because they were in the middle of nowhere with nobody else nearby. So they had to stay in the station for a couple of hours while they negotiated the price down to $50 a head. :(
Silence, exile, and cunning.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

When I'm in a bar or restaurant my mask is normally in my pocket, does that make me an ignorant foreigner?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Nothing happened to me. However my teenage son was riding around one of the islands with his friends a few weeks ago and four of them on two bikes got arrested for not wearing masks. It was ridiculous because they were in the middle of nowhere with nobody else nearby. So they had to stay in the station for a couple of hours while they negotiated the price down to $50 a head. :(
Teenage son eh? Thats gotta be a challenge; bringing him up in this environment. What is the youngsters' take on all this? Is mask-wearing cool (to stay on topic)?

His generation, and particularly the one behind him will be named, with the host of changes to how we live and work. It is a coming of age for him, simultaneously with the world, as an era.

When it all recedes in the likely not-too-distant future, our accelerated trends, like a cashless society, brick-mortar retail's decline, working remotely, mask-wearing will become a more permanent part of the post-pandemic’s “new normal,” in my opinion (IMO). These are obvious markings of a coming of age in the pandemic era.

The not-so-transparent consequences: Much as the maskless Roaring Twenties into the Great Depression and World War II/Post-war era, and to an extent, the recent Great Recession, marked their generations, with wide-ranging, unpredictable, outcomes, the unseen effects that will affect society for decades to come, are ahead.

Most of KoW's post-crisis generational changes are about as relevant as The Big Bang.

The times are particularly difficult for those growing into adulthood, wearing masks, and finding their place in the world. Certainly, on the job front, with businesses going out the back door. Mask manufacturers excluded. With personal effects felt in most aspects of life, over a long period, this packs an enduring punch.

No problems, only solutions.

Recognising that uncontrollable inconsistency is a basis for traumatic stressors, is a start. Masks.

For the younger: Entering school, leaving school, graduation. Gen-Zers: Relationships, employment/income. That’s a formative period in their lives, that can not be masked over, when people are figuring out: What’s important to me? Do I want my Dad's life? How can I compete? What's that spot? Can I re-use my mask?

One answer I stuck to: Find something you enjoy and monetise it (yes, pimping is a thing). "Decide what you want, then act as if it were impossible to fail" - Brian Tracy.

My Dad used to say "Son (that was me), you can't play your whole life away!" Unfortunately, I took that as a challenge, back in the days of no masks. To date, I am winning, but I wish I had interpreted it differently. Too late now. Might as well take it to the finish line and finish what I started, for the epitaph.

On a bright note, today’s young adults may think of health differently from earlier generations, as more of a common good than something intrinsically personal.

If mask-wearing endures, they may not remember a time when not wearing one was acceptable.

Physical distancing may accelerate existing trends to connect via social media rather than in person, which, though compensating somewhat for pandemic-induced isolation, may hold its own negative effects.

Regarding many people we know or read about here, the bigger the distance, the closer you get (to being far enough away!).

Broke? Print trendy masks? "I'm all ears", "Read my Lips" "FUCK OFF!" Rolling Stones "tongue", "Custom Masks 1800-COTTONBREATH". Less work than scamming, don't have to hide, pubs will buy them for advertising.

If a window of opportunity appears, don't pull down the shade. And "if it doesn't knock, build a door" - Milton Burle. An entrepreneur adapts to change, looks for an opportunity and exploits it.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston S. Churchill

Good luck. Enjoy the journey. I envy you.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

So the OP has only met one foreigner who refused to wear a mask.... when alone in the office. Then saw some people eating and drinking without masks on. None of whom refused to wear a mask because no request to wear one was made. I think it's a little premature to be making sweeping statements about foreigners' attitudes to masks.

BTW, I see Cambodian people eating in restaurants without masks blocking their mouths everyday.
Scarier than malaria.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I haven't seen any foreigners not wearing masks. But I'm not sure if this has been pointed out elsewhere, I don't have time to read the entire thread, but it is well known amongst experts that there is an extremely low chance of catching Covid outside in the open air. Even if the air feels still, it isn't. Air is circulating all of the time and will more than likely dissolve your breath the minute it leaves your lips, with the slightly heavier covid molecules falling straight to the ground.

The biggest threat is inside enclosed spaces, where the air is still, especially where there is no ventilation to help circulate it. There is a huge public health campaign in the UK telling people to keep windows open in their houses, especially if they have visitors or tradesmen in their houses.

And remember, masks that are not N95 certified, do very little to protect you from inhaling the virus. Their primary use is to prevent people from exhaling the virus onto other people.

So if you are outside, on your own, with no-one else in the near vicinity, especially if you're doing something like riding a moto where you're moving through air quickly, putting on a mask is in public is about as effective as putting a condom over your head.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

xandreu wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:10 pm So if you are outside, on your own, with no-one else in the near vicinity, especially if you're doing something like riding a moto where you're moving through air quickly, putting on a mask is in public is about as effective as putting a condom over your head.
The thing is, if you're riding a bike/moto, you invariably have to pull up at traffic lights where you are less than 1.5m from other people. And also, I believe cops can fine you if you're not wearing a mask on your bike/moto.

A few months ago pretty much the few people that I spotted not wearing masks were almost all white. Now it's about 50-50, but given the tiny expat proportion of the population they are still well over-represented. Not to mention you give us all a bad reputation.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:50 pm Teenage son eh? Thats gotta be a challenge; bringing him up in this environment. What is the youngsters' take on all this? Is mask-wearing cool (to stay on topic)?
He was wearing a mask in 2018.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:22 pm
The thing is, if you're riding a bike/moto, you invariably have to pull up at traffic lights where you are less than 1.5m from other people. And also, I believe cops can fine you if you're not wearing a mask on your bike/moto.

A few months ago pretty much the few people that I spotted not wearing masks were almost all white. Now it's about 50-50, but given the tiny expat proportion of the population they are still well over-represented. Not to mention you give us all a bad reputation.
I don't live in Phnom Penh, maybe my behaviors would be different in a busy city - but I cannot wear a surgical mask on the moto; it doesn't stay on my face putting the helmet on and gets broken if I try.

Plus, I care far more about cranial protection while riding than about feelings and emotions of others, so it's helmet on and mask off

Pull up outside a shop, helmet off, mask on and in I go. If somebody is within 1.5m of me while my mask is off then they are, I don't lose sleep over it - why worry about something that I am powerless over?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:17 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:22 pm

I don't live in Phnom Penh, maybe my behaviors would be different in a busy city - but I cannot wear a surgical mask on the moto; it doesn't stay on my face putting the helmet on and gets broken if I try.

Plus, I care far more about cranial protection while riding than about feelings and emotions of others, so it's helmet on and mask off

Pull up outside a shop, helmet off, mask on and in I go. If somebody is within 1.5m of me while my mask is off then they are, I don't lose sleep over it - why worry about something that I am powerless over?
Huh? I see hundreds of people wearing both masks and helmets every day!
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic