Why do foreigners refuse to wear a mask?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Why do foreigners refuse to wear a mask?

Post by timmydownawell »

I also have to admit a sneaky sneeze with my mask pulled down when riding my bike, but only when there's no-one within 20 meters. I'll still do it into my shoulder though.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i dont wear a mask while riding my bicycle at any time before or currently
i dont wear a mask while swimming
i dont wear a mask while eating

I do wear a mask inside anywhere

I never wore a mask before
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I don’t wear a mask when actually operating. I know some idiots who’ve tried. On the ground, during turn arounds, I’m not wearing a mask. The door is shut for a reason. I’m the boss, you enter my aircraft at my discretion, until the end of the trip.

I’m not sitting in a restaurant pulling the mask down between bites or sips. That’s retarded. I saw some silly women trying to do exactly this in a restaurant. I’d rather become a hermit or other type of recluse if the brown shirts are going to get that retentive about the whole thing.

I’m sure we’re well into the laws of diminishing returns. I was at the NIPH for my PCR test yesterday, before heading back to work- I couldn’t understand a word that one fella said to me, so he took a few steps back, took the mask off and repeated himself. In an age where too many people mumble as it is, many don’t remember that we now have an artificial barrier to communication.

In the hospital where my mother was being treated, not so long ago, those patients who found the mask too uncomfortable, but who weren’t eligible for a tag excusing them, a plastic face guard was supplied. There’s a clear 1”/25.5or-so-mm gap where it doesn’t meet the wearer’s face. I’m guessing there’s some scientific principal that confirms that virus/particles cannot move sideways from the nose and mouth.

At home, I’ve considered installing one of those detectors that are sometimes used in petrol stations, to give me a warning when someone is passing by our kitchen window or front door, on the way to theirs. Then all we need to do is determine who is obligated to mask up, as it seems that once out of sight of the Sangkat common room (cafe downstairs), we’re mostly safe, unless 1984 has finally kicked in proper and we’re getting shopped by the kids.

One or two positive things about the mask, though-

We might more easily identify arse lickers in the work place
Infidelity might be more easily uncovered

Sadly, In the not so distant future, a certain religion might get all prissy about covering up by yelling inshallah; we told you so.

I’m going to eat my curry, now. In the 21st century, the new commando is to not wear a mask at home, possibly
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:33 pm i dont wear a mask while riding my bicycle at any time before or currently
i dont wear a mask while swimming
i dont wear a mask while eating

I do wear a mask inside anywhere

I never wore a mask before
I always wear a mask outside - because its mandatory but you stand out without one and it's not going to be pleasant having people run away from you in terror.
Inside not so much at home or work but always when I'm in any kind of commercial premises other than a restaurant.
It's not that hard. Getting arrested for not wearing one is a pain in the ass.
8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

johnnywalker3 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:16 am Image

There are many similar examples including comparisons between similar countries/states with high vs low compliance that seem to show masks have limited impact. Anecdotally the people I know who got the virus vs those that haven’t is far more correlated to how social they are than their views about and adherence to wearing a mask.

Staying home is probably the safest thing to do IMO. Also prevents vehicle injuries and deaths. Probably less likely to get a cold too. Seems real boring though. I understand why some people choose to assume differing stances towards risk than others.
To me that graph shows the incidence of the much more infectious Delta variant taking over as is the case around the world. I don't necessarily see it as the ineffectiveness of mask wearing... Imagine if the 97% mask compliance on July 20 on the graph had only been say, 5 %....how much higher do you think the number of new cases would've been then? It's clear to me there are waves of this virus and mask wearing alone cannot prevent it.
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

I believe these cheap masks are outdoors not effective much better keep distance. I don’t think wearing these masks is good for ur lungs.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I believe these cheap masks are outdoors not effective much better keep distance. I don’t think wearing these masks is good for ur lungs
I believe the WHO and other scientific sources. Tens of thousands of surgeons and nurses wear masks all day every day with no harm to their lungs.
I also believe in Dunning Kruger Syndrome.

Science is not an article of faith- belief is not required.
Instead, we use proofs, rather than faith.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:32 pm
johnnywalker3 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:16 am Image

There are many similar examples including comparisons between similar countries/states with high vs low compliance that seem to show masks have limited impact. Anecdotally the people I know who got the virus vs those that haven’t is far more correlated to how social they are than their views about and adherence to wearing a mask.

Staying home is probably the safest thing to do IMO. Also prevents vehicle injuries and deaths. Probably less likely to get a cold too. Seems real boring though. I understand why some people choose to assume differing stances towards risk than others.
To me that graph shows the incidence of the much more infectious Delta variant taking over as is the case around the world. I don't necessarily see it as the ineffectiveness of mask wearing... Imagine if the 97% mask compliance on July 20 on the graph had only been say, 5 %....how much higher do you think the number of new cases would've been then? It's clear to me there are waves of this virus and mask wearing alone cannot prevent it.
To me that graph shows exactly when they had the Olympics.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

ressl wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:14 pm Months ago I had some serious discussions with my boss, who refuses to get vaccinated and wear a mask when he is alone in the office. He is completely resistant for any argument, starting from having couple of people every day in that room and ending with the basic question about who gets protected by the mask. In the end, I gave up on him, but when I was driving down riverside today (which is usually not on my way) I couldn't believe that virtually none of the countless foreigners sitting in the bars and restaurants was wearing a mask; not a single one! I mean, sure, when you have your dinner or beer it gets a bit in the way, but those guys were either just sitting around or chatting in small groups with each other. Maybe having been working for 12 years in the healthcare business makes me a bit sensitive for protective measurements, but can anyone give an explanation why people who supposed to have a certain amount of knowledge behave that careless/ignorant?
I’m hazarding a guess, here- I’ll bet that your survey of foreigners that actually led to your statistical proof that foreigners refuse war masks is actually limited to a very small cross section.
Which might be a very flawed study on your part, for the following reasons-

Foreigners.
Is that all foreigners? British, Irish, german, French, chinese, japanese, etc?
I’m a dunce when it comes to languages. I won’t starve in French, and I can insult the in-laws in Khmer, but I’m largely locked into English

Driving Down riverside.
It’s a supposition, but I’d say that does not leave you in the best position to query these foreigners about their reasons, and therefore you’ll be unable to state as fact that they actually refused. Your observation of this ‘fact’ is based on your observation alone, with a relative speed differential of about 15mph*. Given that some are seated in restaurants and bars where it might be reasonable to assume the consumption of food and beverages is under way, it seems to me that you would not have sufficient time to question anyone, let alone establish in which language to continue the interrogation of the suspect.

One presumes you have some familiarity with the concept of bars and restaurants. (? I’ll give you a question mark, but it’s not really a question)

Protective measurements.
After some 12 years in the healthcare business, you talk of protective measurements, not measures. In the last 18months or so, the most common protective measurements that I’ve encountered are

-2m
-1m
-1.5m
-6ft

What exactly was your involvement in the healthcare business?

A janitor in a school could claim a long term involvement in the education business, but might be hard pressed to convince anyone of their suitability as a teacher (except maybe in Cambodia, so maybe a bad example). Likewise, an accountant in healthcare could equally be an accountant for a bakery. I wouldn’t want to rely on an appendix operation or loaf of bread by their hands.
Plus, long term exposure to the afflicted hoi polloi might also render you overly sensitive to the point of OCD.

Might your question be rephrased as-
can anyone give an explanation why people who allude to having a certain amount of knowledge behave so obtusely?
?

To which the answer is a definitive
Yes, anyone can
Is your ire really directed at the unknown foreigner, or your oberst?

*something of the order of 6-7m/s.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

[/quote]
It's not that hard. Getting arrested for not wearing one is a pain in the ass.
8)
[/quote]

What do they do to you?! Permanent fixture!
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic