Why do foreigners refuse to wear a mask?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Why do foreigners refuse to wear a mask?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I still have N95 mask stock for myself

Keep one under bike seat and use it in shops, market stalls etc, in crowds the ususal. Have done since before covid

I don't wear one on the street or riding my moto

And if I go to a pub to drink beer and smoke cigarettes I won't be wearing one either
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

As a teacher I can honestly say I have never gone so long without a sniffle or cold, in the 10 years I have been here, since COVID hit. I'm actually coming round to appreciating the benefits of keeping these homunculus germ machines away from crowded places.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Change thread title to "Why do a small portion of people not wear masks?" or "Why do people not wear masks in a bar?"

I already had masks in my home even before the pandemic. 15-20 years ago I started wearing them when I was in Osaka and became ill - a) respect the local people & culture of the place you are visiting & b) a physical barrier stopping the spread of illness just makes sense.

For the masks, there doesn't need to be a huge amount of research to convince me. The mask capturing particles from your coughing, sneezing, breathing is common sense. You can argue over how effective it is, however, it obviously would have some kind of impact being a physical barrier. Even if a minuscule impact, happy to wear it.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

annejanes wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:41 am Most barang I know believe that covid is a conspiracy. They believe the numbers are fake. It's an ordinary flu. There's no dead bodies in the street. I mean half the posters here still can't get their heads around that thread about ice smokers in 172. They have no way to find truth and their whole life is one big shitpost where all they can do is troll people by denying the obvious.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

There's no dead bodies in the street.
:no: There is no answer to stupid, but...
Most people who die of disease/illness die in hospital or at home (whatever they die from).
Except for the homeless of course, who do die in the street, but of course their bodies are not left there for you to count.
:BangHead:
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:46 pm Change thread title to "Why do a small portion of people not wear masks?" or "Why do people not wear masks in a bar?"

I already had masks in my home even before the pandemic. 15-20 years ago I started wearing them when I was in Osaka and became ill - a) respect the local people & culture of the place you are visiting & b) a physical barrier stopping the spread of illness just makes sense.

For the masks, there doesn't need to be a huge amount of research to convince me. The mask capturing particles from your coughing, sneezing, breathing is common sense. You can argue over how effective it is, however, it obviously would have some kind of impact being a physical barrier. Even if a minuscule impact, happy to wear it.
Prior to 2020, I only wore a mask once in Japan. There was an outbreak of influenza at my junior high school.

Now I wear them a lot. When in Rome, etc.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

The strangest thing to me is how the locals will put on a mask driving a moto but not a helmet.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

canucklhead wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:33 am The strangest thing to me is how the locals will put on a mask driving a moto but not a helmet.
Yeah, I wonder whether the OP noticed this but somehow decided to focus on something else. Whole familia four up on the bike at 8pm for spin, no helmets and busted headlight, but all wearing masks... Eat soup next to a bunch of strangers with no mask, then they'll spray down their motobike seat with alcohol before hopping back on and donning their masks...

Funny how so many don't seem to have risk assessment capabilities and will just follow certain trends. OP seems to be like this, picking on one aspect of many, but completely disregarding other safety measures which might be even more dangerous to one's health, longevity and well-being. I'm all for masks in certain situations, but outdoors on a motorbike or while eating is a bit stupid. More importantly: don't be a hypocrite when it comes to all the other obvious lackluster safety measures.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

If I’m on my moto and I need a sneaky sneeze I’ll check for any humans and whip my mask off and let it out, not even a hand covering.

It’s liberating.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Apart from the obvious benefits of mandatory mask wearing, is that stupid people are far more easily identifiable. No longer do you have to endure interaction before being able to make a call about someone’s intelligence, masks make it almost instant.

Nose hanging over the top (:fool: duh, I smell), the man with his nestled snugly under his chin but below his mouth ( :tard: ahhur! I'm wearing it, but) and, the criminal morons who pull the mask away so they could enjoy an unhindered dry cough in public ( :crazy: Fuck you. I'm alright).
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic