Are there alternatives to guesthouses and hotels in Phnom P

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Are there alternatives to guesthouses and hotels in Phnom P

Post by obelisks »

Hi
I wondered if there are any alternatives to staying in hotels and guesthouses in Phnom Penh in the form of self catering accommodation for staying about 3 to 4 weeks at a time?
when I started to visit Bangkok in the early 80s there always seem to be a lot of low-priced serviced apartments that were a good alternative to hotels and guesthouses because you had more independence even though you were only there for short visits.
I don’t want executive standard. Just something basic like a studio apartment (although if at all possible a small kitchenette would be great). I also don’t care where it’s located in the city.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Are there alternatives to guesthouses and hotels in Phn

Post by StroppyChops »

Homestays in the form of self-contained single room with own bathroom, within a larger family home. Access to kitchen, usually own fridge, shared lounge area. Expect to pay $300 upwards per month for stays of a month or more, significantly higher (as a daily rate) for stays less than a week. We have a homestay which includes king bed, all linen, tea and coffee facilities, large study desk and chair, hot water, air conditioning, cable TV, WiFi, serviced three times a week, laundry including ironing, meals optional. There are many others like ours, and AirBnB is making a presence in Cambodia now.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

https://www.airbnb.com/
couchsurfing.com
or stay at the Wat
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Schnippi
Tourist

Post by Schnippi »

StroppyChops wrote:........... tea and coffee facilities, large study desk and chair, hot water, air conditioning, cable TV, WiFi, serviced three times a week, laundry including ironing, meals optional. There are many others like ours,.......
Guess you got something wrong here. He's looking for an alternative guesthouse NOT a nursing home (bible classes included) !
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Schnippi wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:........... tea and coffee facilities, large study desk and chair, hot water, air conditioning, cable TV, WiFi, serviced three times a week, laundry including ironing, meals optional. There are many others like ours,.......
Guess you got something wrong here. He's looking for an alternative guesthouse NOT a nursing home (bible classes included) !
You do get that you're making yourself look pathetic, right? Nobody is laughing WITH you, some laugh AT you, and most just pity you. If the highlight of your day is desperately seeking attention from me, get help - you clearly need it.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

Thank you for everyone’s contribution so far. I think I will try out Murray’s place because that is the closest to the concept I had in mind.
Thank you for the suggestions but homestay would definitely not be suitable.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

obelisks wrote:Thank you for everyone’s contribution so far. I think I will try out Murray’s place because that is the closest to the concept I had in mind.
Thank you for the suggestions but homestay would definitely not be suitable.
If you're looking for a more 'open-minded' landlord, Murray is your man.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

phuketrichard wrote:https://www.airbnb.com/
couchsurfing.com
or stay at the Wat

thanks Richard. I'd never heard of this before although just doing a quick Google search I just discovered this service has been banned in New York City!
Is this a variation on homestay or do they rent out the entire place in some cases?
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

airbnb usually involved renting out the entire place. There are serviced apartments in Phnom Penh, including lower budget ones, maybe Lux on St. 136 or Golden Gate or the other "Golden" -named places on Street 278 (aka Golden Street).

You could get a hotel or guesthouse for the first night and then walk around Street 278 and I'd bet you;d find something.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Went to an AirBnB session the other day, they'll let you lease any space - mansion, single room, cave, van. It's intended as much for home staying with your hosts as not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic