Driving from Phnom Penh to Phnom Tamao Zoo (Beggar's Lane)

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Driving from Phnom Penh to Phnom Tamao Zoo (Beggar's Lane)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Video:

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Driving from Phnom Penh to Phnom Tamao Zoo (Beggar's Lan

Post by StroppyChops »

Each time I've been down this lane I found myself wondering yet again how many are begging from actual need.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Where is this road? I have a few plots of land and a house not far from the zoo, but I've never actually been there...I hate seeing caged animals.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Where is this road? I have a few plots of land and a house not far from the zoo, but I've never actually been there...I hate seeing caged animals.
Check here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... _Penh.html

It advertises itself as a wildlife rescue centre and seems to do an okay job. You'll see plenty of the usual stuff that makes you cringe at Asian zoos, but overall I rate it better than the zoo in Bangkok (not saying much). Most of the animals seem tame and interactive, even the lions.

As usual the bloody hawkers spoil the experience - one of their routine stunts is to give one gibbon in a cage of two an icy pole, and then tell you if you don't buy one for the other, the two will fight and one will be hurt. About that time I'd like to punch the hawker in the face, but I believe that's no longer acceptable in the Kingdom.
Last edited by StroppyChops on Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Where is this road? I have a few plots of land and a house not far from the zoo, but I've never actually been there...I hate seeing caged animals.
It's been a few years since I've been, but it's a long straight away off the main road, almost right before you get to the zoo.

I also think they splashed us with water the whole way, or maybe they were throwing water on the dirt road to make the dust settle, I forget.

I surprisingly liked that zoo a lot! You almost feel like it's not a zoo and you're just wondering around the jungle with random animal out and about.

Big birds roaming around a lake, and you can walk all around with them.

They also have the "Save the Bears" out there. Very cool to see the bears up close like that.

And right when we were getting back to the car a dude came up asking for $5. We only saw him for 30 seconds at the very beginning when he pointed us to the direction of some animal. The Cambodian girl I was with gave me the "just pay him" look, so I did. Grrrrrr
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

These days it's a ravening horde of school kids all collecting "money for school" - they sell you bananas, yams and peanuts, and then lead you along with a surprisingly good commentary, and tell you which animals eat what. The temptation to toss the big cats a school kid gets a little strong, but otherwise they're worth their dollar each.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

On the subject of zoos...I highly recommend NOT going to the one in Kampot, the conditions those animals are kept in are appalling, although it does look like it once used to be of a much higher standard.

After spending a significant amount of time in Africa, and seeing animals living and roaming freely in their natural environment, it makes me sick seeing caged animals...unless they're of the drug-dealing, kiddy-fiddling, murdering sub-species of the human race.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It's a great life for some of the animals there. When I visited some bongtoms were giving the monkeys in a cage, cans of beer, and they were going bananas, fighting each other.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
clippy
Expatriate

Post by clippy »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I went again last year and the bear enclosure is much better than it used to be. I also find the zoo entertaining except for the constant feeding and that beggar's lane.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic