Cambodia's First Mormon Temple to be Built on Russian Federation Bvd

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia's First Mormon Temple to be Built on Russian Federation Bvd

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

First Presidency announces groundbreaking date for Phnom Penh Cambodia Temple
An exterior rendering of the Phnom Penh Cambodia Temple Credit: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
18 Aug 2021

The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has announced a Sept. 18 groundbreaking date for the the Phnom Penh Cambodia Temple.
Cambodia Phnom Penh Mission President Veasna Kuonno Neang will preside at the event, with attendance at the site being by invitation only because of current local COVID-19 guidelines.
Location of the Phnom Penh Cambodia Temple Credit: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

The groundbreaking announcement was made at 6 a.m. local time in Cambodia on Thursday, Aug. 19 — 5 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 18, at Church headquarters in Salt Lake City.

The Phnom Penh Cambodia Temple will be the Church’s first in the Southeast Asia country.

The single-story temple of approximately 10,000 square feet will be built on a 3.16-acre site located on Russian Confederation Street, between the Cambodia Institute of Technology and the Institute of Foreign Languages near the Royal University of Phnom Penh. An ancillary building will also be constructed on the site.
https://www.thechurchnews.com/temples/2 ... ple-222690
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Re: Cambodia's First Mormon Temple to be Built on Russian Federation Bvd

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I have often wondered why they have the second m in the word mormon ?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm not a fan of the cult but that's a very prestigious site and the building looks impressive. It looks more like a Mosque or Pagoda than a Church.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"Mormons on holiday"
Spoiler:
CIA agents abroad. As in - "Nah, he's just a mormon on holidays"
an oldie but a goldie
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I had 2 mormons knock on my door last week. I was so bored I invited them in for tea, I sat them down and said " ok explain your faith to me" one of them stared at me with a look of confusion and said " i am fucked if can remember it's been years since anybody has asked me" booom boom
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Goody! I hope I can hear them at 4am from my place.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:39 pm I have often wondered why they have the second m in the word mormon ?
Glad you asked... It dates back to the 1800s and their penchant for polygamy. They tried Mormonespouses - more of my wives (Moronwives was a motion proposed by Elijah Moron but was never seconded. Elijah, and his brothers, Beckett, Eliza, Biscuit, Galilee and Galileo, were expelled, along with their 47 wives. An extra 'm' was added, immediately) - but that didn't roll off the tongue and they thought they might be nicknamed Mice. They tried adding more 'm's but that looked like they were thinking lustfully about having many partners, so they settled on Mormon and introduced Mormonism. To justify their harems, they declared divorce "evil", later to be adjusted to a "necessary evil", following an adulteress incident. The word adulterer means the same as adulteress. They currently go door to door to check how you and the good lady are getting along.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:19 am I'm not a fan of the cult but that's a very prestigious site and the building looks impressive. It looks more like a Mosque or Pagoda than a Church.
I figure it's the mormons adapting to the local country's cultural sensitivities :mrgreen:

Sort of like what the Golden Arches did in Thailand with introducing weird additions to the local menu..
ImageImageImage
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:19 am I'm not a fan of the cult but that's a very prestigious site and the building looks impressive. It looks more like a Mosque or Pagoda than a Church.
It's Mormon temple style. :dm:

They even have Extra-large on option.
Owen
Expatriate
Mexico

Post by Owen »

How many Mormons are there in Cambodia? I mean, I know theirs is a proselytizing faith, but this seems super optimistic in terms of potential congregation numbers. Who is this really for?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic