Cambodia's First Mormon Temple to be Built on Russian Federation Bvd

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodia's First Mormon Temple to be Built on Russian Federation Bvd

Post by Doc67 »

The single-story temple of approximately 10,000 square feet will be built on a 3.16-acre site located on Russian Confederation Street,

One acre is 43,560 feet. 3.16 acres is 137,649 square feet. But their temple is just going to be 10,000? Something isn't right and that image is way more than 10,000 square feet.

Given the Mormons are even more full of shit than all the other religions, it can be assumed that their "Temple" will probably look more like the first picture, than the latter. That way, if they can't find enough mugs to make it viable they can rent it out.

TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

There is a Mormon Temple in Kampong Cham that they built about 5-6 years ago. I used to regularly see a group of 3-4 guys cycling around Kampong Cham wearing the white shirt and tie. What was a bit odd was they seemed to keep to Kampong Cham city and only head out of town to smaller villages if/when one of the locals would introduce them to someone else. At the time (2016 or so) I think I remember seeing an article saying they had 50-60 local members of the church.

I would suspect that there is a vast difference between the number of members and the number of believers. Church events usually seemed to include food/meals and I can certainly understand why someone with 3-4 kids would "join" simply to partake in the church sponsored events that included free food. So if they say they have 15,000 members I might translate that into 1500-2000 "believers" and 12-13K participants.

But I'm sure it gives them lots of pictures and videos to encourage the donations to continue to roll in to sponsor their missionary work.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

TWY wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:55 pm There is a Mormon Temple in Kampong Cham that they built about 5-6 years ago. I used to regularly see a group of 3-4 guys cycling around Kampong Cham wearing the white shirt and tie. What was a bit odd was they seemed to keep to Kampong Cham city and only head out of town to smaller villages if/when one of the locals would introduce them to someone else. At the time (2016 or so) I think I remember seeing an article saying they had 50-60 local members of the church.

I would suspect that there is a vast difference between the number of members and the number of believers. Church events usually seemed to include food/meals and I can certainly understand why someone with 3-4 kids would "join" simply to partake in the church sponsored events that included free food. So if they say they have 15,000 members I might translate that into 1500-2000 "believers" and 12-13K participants.

But I'm sure it gives them lots of pictures and videos to encourage the donations to continue to roll in to sponsor their missionary work.
'Come an enjoy our free meal and please, take home this leaflet and read it' :dm:

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Alex wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:23 pm Of all the dumb beliefs on this planet, the idea that some American wanker has encountered an angel really takes the biscuit. The cult leadership, on the other hand, is obviously very smart for exploiting that.
Nah Christianity and Scientology are arguably dumber
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Here's a good way to spend Sunday afternoon. True story of murder through bombings in Utah in 1985.
Very interesting what the Mormons will do to protect themselves.
It's on Netflix and also on download from Pirate Bay.
Spoiler:
Just watch it!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13987620/
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

was built in 1974, right on the beltway where i grew up in silver spring Md, just a few miles from DC>
it was the Only temple east of the Mississippi>
beautiful looking building, but non Mormons not allowed inside
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

The Mormons already have a very nice facility on that side of town. Do any of you know the one I am speaking of?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:39 pm I feel for the fertile, disadvantaged minds that these missionaries will presumably prey on and convert to some delusional higher order religion (in the Mormon's view). As if it's some higher ideal than Buddhism (moot point this no doubt).

I'm all for choice but if we look at some of the previous and current missionary motives and activities here, it seems that they will largely operate as a charitable organisation to those that follow/succumb to their faith..whether or not the subjects believe in their god or not.

And so, it will create a dependency where those that choose to follow the faith will be rewarded either through donations, training, job offers, support and other opportunities etc.

Some will say that preying on the disadvantaged in this manner to convert them to their religion is proselytizing. Of course, these missionaries will deny that and say there is no coercion....but who will check on that?
Compared to more restrictive neighbouring countries like Vietnam and Laos, Cambodia has a relatively open climate for missionary work.

The law requires all religious groups to register with the Ministry of Cults and Religions if they wish to build places of worship or conduct religious activities. But according to the Religious Freedom report, "there is no penalty for failing to register, and in practice some groups do not." Only 900 of Cambodia's 2,400 churches are officially registered with the government.

Come to cambodia with suvs and tons of rice, and that's virtually bribery

Dok Narin, undersecretary of state at the ministry, said the constitution guaranteed freedom of religion and that there are few laws to regulating the day-to-day activities of missionaries. "We cannot control them, as we don't have any special laws," he said, adding that more regulation was desirable but difficult to balance with a commitment to religious freedom. "The ministry is planning laws to exercise more controls on religion, but we are afraid that it may affect the constitution," he said.
Full: https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... id-poverty
Yep, follow the money. I read that tithing in the Mormon church is a massive 10% of annual income. When a lot of members are in a rich part of the world, that leads to a lot of dosh to spend. They won't get much from tithing in a country like Cambodia, from the average citizen anyway.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

wolfcreek wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:30 am The Mormons already have a very nice facility on that side of town. Do any of you know the one I am speaking of?
Yes, there's a big temple on the corner of 598/ Russian Federation. They have a smaller one at the bottom of 63.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Yes, the LDS Church activities in developing countries falls under proselytization. Yes, the beliefs Mormons are said to agree to are bizarre.

Having spent a few years in Utah and seeing it all up close and getting to know these people I'd add they are mostly a terrific bunch of people, I didn't get pitched on their religion or Christ much if at all. Further, I would say that the Mormons I encountered exemplified basic good neighbor values better than any other Christian people I had been around.

They are a subculture within the American story, many of the people in Utah** are descendants of the pioneer families that made the arduous trek there in 1847. A good read on this story is John Krakauer's "Under the Banner of Heaven" even though it deals with the crazy fringe types and a girl's abduction (Elizabeth Smart). As much as I personally like many of the Mormons I've encountered, this temple at this location in this place troubles me, knowing full well that the missionaries who will engage with local people to the point of religious conversion are not doing so in a synergistic way. They are plying poor people through guile and trickery and that is not supposed to be allowed by law here or anywhere given where the LDS church is based out of this community would be fully aware of what proselytization is.

As for the pictures, the last temple is the temple in Salt Lake City, Utah.

** Other groups that made the trek with Brigham Young in 1847 ended up in then remote parts of Utah, Nevada, Wyoming and Idaho and into Canada. Las Vegas, Nevada became settled with Mormons in this period and still counts many on their roster.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic