Afghani Resistance Thread

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Afghani Resistance Thread

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The earth has not stopped revolving.
the wind has not stopped blowing
the sun will come up tomorrow morning
and the tide always turns

Afganistan rolls on.
this thread is for news about the struggle that continues within Afghanistan - by Afghanis
i thought this was some interesting news to kick it off
Tribune; Voice of the People, India
9 hours ago

Panjshir flies flag of resistance again; Amrullah says he is President of Afghanistan

Panjshir Valley, the only district unconquered by the Taliban, has started to fly the flag of resistance all over again.

The First Vice President (FVP) of Afghanistan and a friend of India, Amrullah Saleh reached the Panjshir Valley and declared himself President. Citing the Constitution, he said in the event of escape, resignation or death of the President, the FVP becomes the caretaker President.

“I am currently inside my country and am the legitimate caretaker President. I am reaching out to all leaders to secure their support and consensus,” said Saleh.

Ahmad Massoud and Defence Minister Bismillah Mohammadi have also promised to side with him. Ahmad is the son of the slain commander Ahmed Shah Masood during whose lifetime the Taliban could not conquer Panjshir Valley during its first spell in power from 1996 to 2001.

Sensing Panjshir as an oasis of relief from the Taliban, minority Shia Hazara families have reportedly walked 200 km to reach the Valley, famous for its emeralds, mulberries and indomitable fighters. Many of the Tajiks in the Afghan army have also arrived with their equipment, including armed personnel carriers and tanks, after withdrawing from the nearby frontlines.

Interestingly, the Farkhor air base in Tajikistan, 200 km away from Panjshir, is known to keep an Indian detachment of helicopters. In fact Ahmed Shah Masood was flown from Panjshir to an India-manned hospital in Farkhor after an assassination attempt on him by Al Qaida hitmen masquerading as journalists. However, Masood died before he could reach the hospital.

The hit on Masood was said to be Osama bin Laden’s gesture to propitiate the Taliban a day before the attacks on the trade tower in the US on September 11, 2001.

So the Massoon is the son who hates the Taliban's guts.
That's a good start - good bloodlines for a fight too.
And the resistance has previously proven to be unique.

#Taliban #Afghan #Afghanistan
RAW Footage: VP Amrullah Saleh Organizing the Resistance in Panjshir Afghanistan
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Re: Afghani Resistance Thread

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I wonder what the numbers are. How many active Taliban in Kabul versus how many civilians who don't want them there ?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I don't see why this needs to be on a Cambodian expats forum , the whole things just a shit show.
The media will be bored with it soon.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

atst wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:43 pm I don't see why this needs to be on a Cambodian expats forum , the whole things just a shit show.
True, next crisis please.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

it is on the "rest of the world" section
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Apollo91881 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:52 pm
atst wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:43 pm I don't see why this needs to be on a Cambodian expats forum , the whole things just a shit show.
Hundreds of thousands of Afghans will make it through to Europe to claim asylum which will embolden the far right and cause unrest. Islamists in Pakistan will also be very happy as they would like to get rid of their government and set up an islamic state and Pakistan have the Bomb. China will now pour money into Afghanistan, not for women's rights or democracy. and that won't end well.

The media will not get bored with this. The world has just changed much like after 9 11. I think in the coming years people will look back to this as the start of something very dangerous. I am 70 so maybe I shouldn't care as I will be long gone before the effects of this are felt around the world :beer1:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

exactly; Burmese shit show still going on, i gave up reporting it here
nobody gives a shit past a few weeks when the next shit show rolls around
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:31 pm
Apollo91881 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:52 pm
Hundreds of thousands of Afghans will make it through to Europe to claim asylum which will embolden the far right and cause unrest. Islamists in Pakistan will also be very happy as they would like to get rid of their government and set up an islamic state and Pakistan have the Bomb. China will now pour money into Afghanistan, not for women's rights or democracy. and that won't end well.

The media will not get bored with this. The world has just changed much like after 9 11. I think in the coming years people will look back to this as the start of something very dangerous. I am 70 so maybe I shouldn't care as I will be long gone before the effects of this are felt around the world :beer1:
I tend to agree. This is just the beginning of yet another ongoing shit show that will be playing out for the foreseeable future. I don't know if the covid situation is taking its toll on me but I am quickly losing faith in anything good ever happening again. The slow road to democracy that Myanmar was walking has been ripped from under its feet with people dying and fighting to stop it returning to how it was. Afghanistan is in a similar situation with those with the upper hand undoing a 20-year attempt at change. Covid continues to wreak havoc around the world with no end in sight. Western powers are becoming weaker by the day while China grows in its dominance. Climate change continues to threaten our survival with no-one seriously dealing with it, and we even have the US Air Force telling us we might be being invaded by UFO's, I kid you not.

Considering I could have been born at any time in the last 200,000 years of human evolution, it would be just my luck to have been born just in time to witness the actual apocalypse.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Meanwhile, back to inside Afghanistan - by Afghanis ^^

The Northern Alliance is regrouping again too
Northern Alliance plans to regroup: Resistance leaders seek arms to fight Taliban in Northern Afghanistan
Leaders of Afghanistan, who have India’s backing and who fought the Taliban between 1996 and 2001 as members of the Northern Alliance, have shown some signs of initial resistance amid the Taliban’s surge.

While former Herat strongman Ismail Khan, now in his 70s, is planning to regroup to fight the Taliban, dozens of fighters have pledged loyalty to former vice-president Marshal Abdul Rashid Dostum in the northern provinces against the Taliban, ET has gathered.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... aign=cppst (paywalled)

Dostum!! Oh Flock, better cover your eyes if you don't like blood and spilled guts everywhere - and that's even before he faces the Taliban.

This is a very interesting analysis of The Northern Alliance by the Washington Post, dated April, this year
about why it didn't hold the North against the Taliban under the previous (just fallen) government
but it also points to why they may be more successful now - as they were in the very early days, resisting Taliban Mk 1
ie, they dont have that worm Ashraf Ghani leading the country for a start - and neutering all the effective resistance.
https://web.archive.org/web/20210816220 ... this-time/
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic