Using your ABA card abroad

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Using your ABA card abroad

Post by xandreu »

Has anyone tried to withdraw cash from their ABA account using their ATM debit card abroad before (specifically UK) ?

Does it work and what are the fees like?

Thanks.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Using your ABA card abroad

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:44 am Has anyone tried to withdraw cash from their ABA account using their ATM debit card abroad before (specifically UK) ?

Thanks.
Yes, I did last year and it is fine. I'll check the fees and get back to you.

Edit:

2 withdrawals on 24th and 30th March 2020. Here are the amounts of £ withdrawn, the amount of $ debited, the fees, the exchange rate on the day (as best as the charts can provide) and then the rate I got from ABA

£500............$602.51..............$11.81.................1.15.........1.20

£500.............$609.................$11.95.................1.24.........1.21

The exchange rate you get is not the spot rate, I think it's the agreed rate at a certain time by the Visa network and then the banks can add on more if they like. I am sure there is a webpage somewhere on the ABA site that spells it all out (but I can't find it)

The fees look like 2%. The XR is harder to work out as this was the most volatile time for the USD/GDP and it was up and down quite a bit.

Hope this helps.
duran
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by duran »

I used it in Australia. Not at the ATM which has a limit. I did a cash advance of 2000 AUD at Commbank and was charged a fee of USD 30 by ABA.

Also used the card a few times in Germany. ABA charges 2% of the amount withdrawn from the ATM if the currency withdrawn is not USD. The bank operating the ATM also charged a fee of EUR 4 for each withdrawal.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Used in all asean countries, Hong Kong, Europe for all usual stuff. It's a visa card
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:34 am Used in all asean countries, Hong Kong, Europe for all usual stuff. It's a visa card
Yes, that's what I thought. Visa cards can be used all over the world, but considering there are other common, everyday financial activities that you can also elsewhere in the world which for some reason you can't in Cambodia, I just wanted to double check.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:43 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:34 am Used in all asean countries, Hong Kong, Europe for all usual stuff. It's a visa card
Yes, that's what I thought. Visa cards can be used all over the world, but considering there are other common, everyday financial activities that you can also elsewhere in the world which for some reason you can't in Cambodia, I just wanted to double check.

The only concern you have is the card becoming stuck in the slot of the machine and gets retained. If it does it is gone forever (unless you use a machine in a branch foyer and they will open the machine a give it back).

I have got both a Visa and a Mastercard on my ABA account, so if one gets lost or stuck in a machine, I have a spare. Get yourself one just in case and leave it at home and not in your wallet with the other card!
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

From ABA's website...

Cash withdrawal with non-ABA’s ATM
/ POS (in and outside of Cambodia) 2% of amount withdrawn, min $5

Purchase/withdrawal in non USD Currency
(except KHR currency) 2% for currency conversion
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

I used my ABA card in India just before covid ended travelling fun.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Used my Visa card SE Asia, in Europe and USA. You can get MasterCard for the same bank account as well, I always travel with both in a case of theft or any other unforeseeable event.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Bong Kri
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bong Kri »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:49 am
xandreu wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:44 am Has anyone tried to withdraw cash from their ABA account using their ATM debit card abroad before (specifically UK) ?

Thanks.
Yes, I did last year and it is fine. I'll check the fees and get back to you.

Edit:

2 withdrawals on 24th and 30th March 2020. Here are the amounts of £ withdrawn, the amount of $ debited, the fees, the exchange rate on the day (as best as the charts can provide) and then the rate I got from ABA

£500............$602.51..............$11.81.................1.15.........1.20

£500.............$609.................$11.95.................1.24.........1.21

The exchange rate you get is not the spot rate, I think it's the agreed rate at a certain time by the Visa network and then the banks can add on more if they like. I am sure there is a webpage somewhere on the ABA site that spells it all out (but I can't find it)

The fees look like 2%. The XR is harder to work out as this was the most volatile time for the USD/GDP and it was up and down quite a bit.

Hope this helps.
Can I ask if you needed to notify ABA you were traveling/using your card outside of Cambodia prior to using it in another country?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic