Sending a passport back for a visa

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sending a passport back for a visa

Post by Lonestar »

Hello,

I am currently working in the U.S. and my Cambodian EB visa is set to expire in mid December. I understand that it is extremely difficult, if not impossible to get a new one while in the U.S. My choice may be to either turn down work here in order to come back to Cambodia and get it renewed, or to send my passport to my wife so that she can get the new visa and send it back. Does anyone here know of a shipping method rock solid enough to trust your passport with?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Sending a passport back for a visa

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

DHL or FedEx. ~7 days. However, won't they see that you left the country already when renewing? Or they won't see it?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Lonestar wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:48 pm Hello,

I am currently working in the U.S. and my Cambodian EB visa is set to expire in mid December. I understand that it is extremely difficult, if not impossible to get a new one while in the U.S. My choice may be to either turn down work here in order to come back to Cambodia and get it renewed, or to send my passport to my wife so that she can get the new visa and send it back. Does anyone here know of a shipping method rock solid enough to trust your passport with?
My friend just last week had to get a passport sent from Philippines to Australia to get it renewed, He used Fedex and it was delivered quite quickly and on time.
Was a bit expensive but worth paying for with a valuable document like your passport. DHL also have a solid reputation.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

That is a good point, It did not occur to me that they might wonder why there is not entry stamp in my passport showing that I returned to the country. Looks like I may have to travel back.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Lonestar wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:18 am That is a good point, It did not occur to me that they might wonder why there is not entry stamp in my passport showing that I returned to the country. Looks like I may have to travel back.
I've sent my passport around the world to different countries before through Fedex, and other important documents through DHL, so I consider it secure enough to trust.

I could be wrong, but I don't think being out of the country would cause any issues with your visa extension, but I'm just totally guessing. Even if they did 'notice' that you weren't in-country (which I just have a feeling they wouldn't even bother to check), I still can't imagine it being an issue. And if they did, the worst-case scenario is that you're out of shipping costs both ways.

I believe we paid about $140 via DHL to send documents to Cambodia and it took exactly a week, or maybe even 6 days.

Good luck with it and keep us updated on how it all pans out.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

For my most recent EB renewal, I had to, for the first time, fill some details into a form from immigration and sign it to accompany my application.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

You can’t get a renewal without an entry stamp.
People of the world, spice up your life.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Don't forget you need to do the FPCS registration as well.
IMHO there's more chance of Prince Andrew flying to New York city today than of the DoI missing the lack of immigration stamp (and stapled form) in OP's passport.
Is it really so difficult to get a visa in the USA? Worth checking the FB group Cambodia Visa and Work Permit group,for latest info.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:39 am Don't forget you need to do the FPCS registration as well.
IMHO there's more chance of Prince Andrew flying to New York city today than of the DoI missing the lack of immigration stamp (and stapled form) in OP's passport.
Is it really so difficult to get a visa in the USA? Worth checking the FB group Cambodia Visa and Work Permit group,for latest info.
wife can do the FPCS on her phone but the entry stamp???

ur working, obviously not returning soon , so ......
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You need to physically be in Cambodia in order to he eligible to apply for an EOS...believe it or not, they do actually check their database.

There was a member of the Cambodia Visa and Work Permit group who tried this a while back, the DoI sent the persons passport back to their Embassy, caused a whole heap of drama for the individual concerned.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic