Cambodia ranks fourth for friendliness towards foreign residents

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Cambodia ranks fourth for friendliness towards foreign residents

Post by phuketrichard »

Mindbasetwo wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:49 pm From my experience, I have to really disagree. When visiting many Khmer businesses, especially during pandemic times, people often are unwelcoming and have poor attitudes. When renting an apartment, the landlords have been incredibly rude by what they say and how they say it. I have had multiple women scream and be very aggressive when looking at apartments. While in China, Thailand and Vietnam, people were very helpful and did whatever it took to help me when renting.

I honestly believe Vietnam is kinder to foreigners and certainly Thailand. People here have absolutely no filter or tactfulness when dealing with others it seems in many cases-they simply do not care and some really like to disrespect others. The customer service is also abysmal with shop owners caring about an immediate sale and a complete disregard for the customer.

I do not like to be negative too much, but these are just my observations. This has been heightened during the pandemic of course but this attitude and group of problems were always present.
careful what ya say here, you might get banned :beer2:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

=@
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:34 pm
Mindbasetwo wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:49 pm From my experience, I have to really disagree. When visiting many Khmer businesses, especially during pandemic times, people often are unwelcoming and have poor attitudes. When renting an apartment, the landlords have been incredibly rude by what they say and how they say it. I have had multiple women scream and be very aggressive when looking at apartments. While in China, Thailand and Vietnam, people were very helpful and did whatever it took to help me when renting.

I honestly believe Vietnam is kinder to foreigners and certainly Thailand. People here have absolutely no filter or tactfulness when dealing with others it seems in many cases-they simply do not care and some really like to disrespect others. The customer service is also abysmal with shop owners caring about an immediate sale and a complete disregard for the customer.

I do not like to be negative too much, but these are just my observations. This has been heightened during the pandemic of course but this attitude and group of problems were always present.
careful what ya say here, you might get banned :beer2:
Lol, PR. :tumbleweed: Might get banned ? Shit-stirring again ? =@

Interesting that the poster MB2 has met so many rude landlords, but my experiences (in renting outside of PP) have been quite the opposite. Sometimes it's true that the landlords don't want you,(and they say why, so that's cool ), or else they can't do enough to help you move in, change the fridge, fix broken mosquito screen etc.
Maybe Phnom Penh landlords are different than the provinces, but I have never had a landlord or lady scream at me, that's for sure. This is just weird, whether in PP or elsewhere in Cambodia:
I have had multiple women scream and be very aggressive when looking at apartments.
Multiple women screaming at you ? Wow; there is something wrong here. :argue:
Mindbasetwo
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Mindbasetwo »

Banned for giving an honest opinion!? What good is a forum if people can't give an account of their experiences?

I have met some very nice people here, but there are some serious problems with regard customer service and reception of foreigners in general in my opinion. I honestly have had many people be incredibly rude here (gave the example of landlords). This place certainly stands way out in terms of its treatment of customers and not in a good way. Other countries in this region seem to be incredibly more friendly in my opinion.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

I have said this before and I will say it again.

When you have 1 or 2 outliers in anything to do with people. And they, like MB2 are adamant that their experiences are genuine and they can’t see why everyone finds their position so unreasonable. What I find is that the problem is simply them. They cause it yet they can’t see it.
It’s like the guy who won’t go up town on a Friday night because “there’s always trouble on a Friday”, when everyone else never has a problem with “trouble” on a Friday.
Or the guy who wants to rent the apartment above you and when you ask why he’s moving apartments and his reply is “the landlord and neighbours are dickheads” and then after he moves in you realise he’s the problem as everyone around you complains about him or has had run ins with him, or the local mom and pop store refused to sell to him in the end.

But these types can never see that they are the root of the problem and thus it never goes away.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It surprises me how some business actually runs here, never mind it being successful, but again we expats are only considered that of paying visitors, and most definitely a minority. It's fair to say that in parts of Asia businesses may be run a little different but too also looked upon differently. An example of what we maybe used too in our western countries is that the person whom is in the store is treated has their potential customer, and its normal for the shopkeeper to accommodate that shopper in general for what they may wish to purchase. Also it's also common for any store to have the attitude of the customer is always right. Because at the end of the day, without customers there is potentially no business. But I find (not everywhere) it seems to be the opposite here, were the customer are/is of less importance, because it seems the shopkeepers attitude is that he/she is of most importance because they have the business, and you are the customer who needs to buy from them.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:05 pm Here we go again.
UPDATE
Cambodia is ranked first for friendliness in the latest Rough Guide survey:

The world's friendliest countries - as chosen by you
written by Rough Guides Editors
updated 11/08/2021

We asked our Twitter and Facebook friends and followers which country they thought was the friendliest in the world. Everywhere from Albania to Uganda was mentioned but these are the top ten friendliest countries in the world as voted by you.
1. Cambodia
Cambodia was by far the top answer in our poll, and a popular choice among staff members and Rough Guides Twitter followers alike. @AndreaLeber declared, "They've been through so much and still have a smile on their faces!"
https://www.roughguides.com/gallery/the ... en-by-you/
What? Thailand beaten by Cambodia, Philippines, Laos and Nepal. How can that be? :popcorn:

Full list of Rough Guide top ten friendliest countries in the world:

1. Cambodia

2. Philippines

3. Laos

4. Nepal

5. Thailand

6. Myanmar

7. Indonesia

8. Fiji

9. Scotland

10. Sri Lanka

mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Posted yesterday.

Hmm.
9. Scotland. (As long as you’re not English)
People of the world, spice up your life.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:55 am It surprises me how some business actually runs here, never mind it being successful, but again we expats are only considered that of paying visitors, and most definitely a minority. It's fair to say that in parts of Asia businesses may be run a little different but too also looked upon differently. An example of what we maybe used too in our western countries is that the person whom is in the store is treated has their potential customer, and its normal for the shopkeeper to accommodate that shopper in general for what they may wish to purchase. Also it's also common for any store to have the attitude of the customer is always right. Because at the end of the day, without customers there is potentially no business. But I find (not everywhere) it seems to be the opposite here, were the customer are/is of less importance, because it seems the shopkeepers attitude is that he/she is of most importance because they have the business, and you are the customer who needs to buy from them.
While I don’t recall having many problems with business owners here (the minor ones I’ve had have been language barrier related)
I actually find it quite refreshing that some business owners here will happily refuse to serve and maybe tell a bad/rude customer to go fuck themselves (or the Khmer equivalent). I always feel sorry for business owners and employees in the West having to suck up abuse from nasty customers because supposedly ‘the customer is always right’.
Not always, sometimes the customer is an arsehole and needs telling, and decent customers would still patronize the business’ of those that did so IMO.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:11 pm
I have had multiple women scream and be very aggressive when looking at apartments.
Multiple women screaming at you ? Wow; there is something wrong here. :argue:
Def agree. There would have to be quite a big trigger for one Asian woman to start screaming and be aggressive at you...let alone multiple women..

Has to be a back story there.. :popcorn:
Mindbasetwo
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Mindbasetwo »

Where do some of you guys live, Neverneverland? I know people like to drink a lot here and indulge in other things, but completely not understanding what I am saying is so strange to me. Most people from other countries would understand what I am saying perfectly. The treatment of customers is absolutely ridiculous sometimes. I am certainly not an outlier; some just have no idea, like IraHayes who probably says something wrong every minute.

And when I referred to multiple women, I meant on different occasions for simply asking for internet access. The stories could go on and on, but my intention was just to share my experience. I really don't care what some think because maybe you don't know the difference. I am out of here as soon as it is easy for just this reason.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic