Major changes to Malaysia's MM2H retirement visa eligibility

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Major changes to Malaysia's MM2H retirement visa eligibility

Post by timmydownawell »

Malaysia has made eligibility to its MM2H programme so tight as to have killed it off by stealth.

You now need (for over 50yos, $ rate approx):
  • $10,000 per month in income
  • $250,000 in a fixed deposit
  • $375,000 in liquid assets
If you were doing that well, why would you choose Malaysia?

For now, at least, Sarawak offers their version of SMM2H which has much lower requirements, You can still live in peninsular Malaysia if you wish, but must spend 14 days a year in Sarawak at least. In the light of the changes above, they may be forced to lift their requirements as well.

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/categ ... nsultants/
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Major changes to Malaysia's MM2H retirement visa eligibility

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

South America has way more attractive retirement visas, not sure why anyone would choose SEA, especially Malaysia. Do they even get many applications?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

I know few guys who have got MM2H visa previously. Though they are young and they have done it to benefit low-income tax rates mainly. One of the benefits for retirees in Malaysia is that offshore pensions are exempt from tax.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:36 pm South America has way more attractive retirement visas, not sure why anyone would choose SEA, especially Malaysia. Do they even get many applications?
Article says currently 57,478 holders plus their dependants. I'd be quite happy to live in Malaysia. KL has a real big city vibe, huge variety of foods and cultures (Malay/Indian/Chinese/Middle Eastern), great shopping, etc. I didn't even qualify for their old regime, but the new one is just insane.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I've previously considered this program and it's early iteration seemed attractive for retirees including:

'One of the benefits for retirees in Malaysia is that offshore pensions are exempt from tax.'

But these new requirements are too much for many I think. That, and it's still a muslim country with ridiculous grog prices.

If you have that much money, why bother and especially now as:

'Established in 2002, the programme allows foreigners to stay in Malaysia for 10 years, which is renewable. That period has now been reduced to five years.'

They've killed the golden goose imo :assasin:
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:27 pm 'Established in 2002, the programme allows foreigners to stay in Malaysia for 10 years, which is renewable. That period has now been reduced to five years.'

Oh I must have missed that bit. I haven't really kept up with Malaysian politics but I know they have a weird coalition government now. Maybe some racist/anti-foreigner One Nation-style party is flexing their muscles or something? But yes, I think these changes send a clear message that they basically don't want foreigners any more.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:14 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:27 pm 'Established in 2002, the programme allows foreigners to stay in Malaysia for 10 years, which is renewable. That period has now been reduced to five years.'

Oh I must have missed that bit. I haven't really kept up with Malaysian politics but I know they have a weird coalition government now. Maybe some racist/anti-foreigner One Nation-style party is flexing their muscles or something? But yes, I think these changes send a clear message that they basically don't want foreigners any more.
That anti-non-Islam vibe was coming in a while ago, but seemed to get stopped in it’s tracks by the more progressive government agendas. But maybe it was just a matter of time.

I thought the MM2H programme allowed for 20years, renewable? I was seriously looking into it in 2009ish. It was a big bank bond ($80k?), you got some tax incentives if you wanted to bring in things like your own cars, and if you weren’t retired but earned your salary entirely outside of Malaya, then a big income tax break.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:48 pm That anti-non-Islam vibe was coming in a while ago, but seemed to get stopped in it’s tracks by the more progressive government agendas. But maybe it was just a matter of time.

I thought the MM2H programme allowed for 20years, renewable? I was seriously looking into it in 2009ish. It was a big bank bond ($80k?), you got some tax incentives if you wanted to bring in things like your own cars, and if you weren’t retired but earned your salary entirely outside of Malaya, then a big income tax break.
no, pretty sure it was always 10 years.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Unsurprisingly, it hasn't gone down well:

They’re kicking us out: expats decry MM2H changes
Govt’s new conditions blasted as ‘bizarre’, may deteriorate Malaysia’s reputation

GEORGE TOWN – Many expatriates under the Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) programme are convinced that the government is looking to remove them from the country in light of the new requirements and conditions announced on Wednesday.

The decision is expected to dramatically affect the economy as it encourages non-citizens to sell off their assets in Malaysia, remove their deposits and take off for greener pastures.

The most talked-about issue is the minimum monthly offshore income that has increased from RM10,000 to RM40,000 per month.

It is significant as most who decide to make Malaysia their home are retirees, and have hence experienced a major drop in income.

“I feel incredibly sad for those expats who own their own homes here and will be unable to meet the new limits,” said one MM2H holder.

“Also, expats who own investment properties here to supplement their incomes will not be able to count that as income to meet the new financial requirements as the RM40,000 per month must be earned offshore.

Full article, where the changes are described as 'bizarre and ridiculous': https://www.thevibes.com/articles/news/ ... 2h-changes
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Having worked in Malaysia for a whopping three months, I'm happy to say that my short stays later on - none of them exceeding one week - were more than enough for me. I wouldn't want to stay there any longer than that, ever again. Why anyone would want to retire there is beyond me.

With that said, I think at the very least they should grandfather in existing MM2H holders instead of kicking them out. It would just be bad form. If not many new applicants qualify, so be it, they might reconsider at some point.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic