Privately imported and sold vaccines in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Privately imported and sold vaccines in Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

i did not know where to post this. As many of you are aware, the Chinese vaccines, as is the Russian, are not recognized in the EU. This would make/travel in a number of EU countries rather difficult. Moreover, you are unlikely to get a recognized vaccine put on top of the Chinese and (!) be recognized as being vaccinated, i.e. receiving the all-important papers. Under these circumstances, the news below which comes following a decision (mentioned in the article) seems relevant.

The article indicates that there are more prospective importers than before and that there is some price control scheme under consideration. Moreover, at least one of the hopefuls is in negotiations. this is all good news.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... e-use-jabs

Vaccines imported privately limited to non-state use jabs

Voun Dara | Publication date 09 August 2021 | 20:21 ICT
Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A medical doctor administering the Sinovac vaccines in Phnom Penh on August 9. Heng Chivoan

Ten private companies have submitted requests to the Ministry of Health seeking permission to import Covid-19 vaccines that are not currently available in Cambodia. The ministry is working on setting an appropriate price for vaccines administered by private entities to the public.

In an interview with The Post on August 9, Cambodia Chamber of Commerce (CCC) vice-president Lim Heng said health minister Mam Bun Heng had revealed that at least 10 different private firms have now requested permission to import rapid test kits and Covid-19 vaccines.

The information was shared during a meeting on August 2 between the ministry and CCC.

“We hope that the health ministry will be able to facilitate the registration of private companies as soon as possible to import vaccines. The private sector will import only vaccines and rapid test kits that differ from those that the government [is providing],” he said.

According to Lim Heng, the decision to import only vaccines and test kits not currently being used by the government was made in order to ensure that the vaccines in the state’s inventory are not at risk of being diverted for black market sales.

The government purchased vaccines are to be administered to people free of charge and those vaccines cannot be sold on the market by any private entity, he said.

He said CCC asked that the ministry intervene to set an appropriate price for testing and vaccinations for Covid-19. The ministry has already accepted the proposal and agreed to jointly discuss appropriate pricing.

“At this time, we cannot set the price for rapid testing or vaccines, but we just know that soon some private companies will be able to import Covid-19 vaccines into Cambodia,” he said.

Once the vaccines are imported, he noted, companies will be able to study the costs they incur while conducting testing and vaccinations and set an appropriate price acceptable to all parties without overcharging people or losing money by providing the service.

“The CCC’s request to let the private sector import alternate vaccines is intended to help ease the burdens on the state. It will provide additional funds to the state and private imports of vaccines will allow those who can afford it access to private services with alternate choices,” Lim Heng said.

In a bid to boost the government’s efforts at containing the spread of the virus, the health minister issued a letter on July 27 giving private firms the green light to import the vaccines and distribute rapid antigen test kits, with the brands eligible for use in the Kingdom restricted to those with the World Health Organisation’s approval.

The privately-run Royal Phnom Penh Hospital told The Post on August 5 that it had requested permission to import the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines and administer them. The hospital’s supply team is now working on the process of purchasing the vaccines.

As of August 8, Covid-19 vaccinations in Cambodia have reached 78.73 per cent of the targeted adult population of 10 million and 14.19 per cent of the roughly two million children aged 12-17.

In total, the Kingdom has now vaccinated more than eight million people – or about 50.90 per cent, of the population of approximately 16 million.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Privately imported and sold vaccines in Cambodia

Post by Ozinasia »

This is what I have been waiting for as well.
I prefer to be able to pay for the jab of choice, although not yet decided which one as yet at age 64 I'll research that before I get stuck.
I'd like to see data on best protection against this new Delta first. I have serious doubt on the efficacy of the Chinese jabs against Delta
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

Ozinasia wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:54 pm This is what I have been waiting for as well.
I prefer to be able to pay for the jab of choice, although not yet decided which one as yet at age 64 I'll research that before I get stuck.
I'd like to see data on best protection against this new Delta first. I have serious doubt on the efficacy of the Chinese jabs against Delta
I belive that Moderna is currently being concidered as giving the best protection against Delta. I wish I knew this a few months ago, before I got my Pfizer vacs.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I would be careful. When you have a Western double jab, the next requirement will be a Western booster, then a booster for the x-variant, etc etc.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

I just saw that Astra-Zeneca is practically risk-free for people over 40 years of age. However, this vaccine wont be on sale. We look at Biontech/Pfizer and Moderna on offer, as the other vaccines are used by the government and thus off limits.
The practical aspect of the privately sold vaccine is that you wont end up in limbo when traveling to the west. Biontech would most likely necessitate a third booster shot at one point. Moderna, no idea but would suppose so as well just to be on the safe side. There wont be ultimately definitive data as the situation is developing.
Uncle-V
Expatriate
Croatia

Post by Uncle-V »

Ozinasia wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:54 pm This is what I have been waiting for as well.
According to a recent study the AZ vaccine may be less effective over time against the Delta variant as the effects of the vaccine wear off. My experience with Sputnik (also a protein vector virus) seems to confirm this. AZ was however, more effective over time against the Alph variant than the other vaccine in the study the Pfizer, which is an mRNA vaccine.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2108891

Months from now, as the vaccine you take begins to break down, there may be a new variant that replaces Delta as the most prevalent one, so it's hard to say which vaccine is better to get now. But personally, the Chinese one would be the last one I'd take (though I'd take that one too if it was the only one available)
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

For me right now i need to marry two solutions, getting vaccinated and getting it done with something that allows me to operate in the EU. I am resigned to the fact that vaccines will need a booster and that there is more to come. One step at a time and then, hopefully, finding solutions for problems as they pop up along the way. the chinese stuff is a dead-end for sure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic