Orthopedic assistance needed

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Re: Orthopedic assistance needed

Post by bossho »

Grand Barong wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:07 pm [/url][/url]
bossho wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:51 pm
HappyChappy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:43 am Had a moto crash the other day and I don't think anythings broken bit my shoulder is not in a good way. With no insurance and my wages cut due to covid I need to see someone compitant yet cheap.

Any suggestion?
Hello again Sir, it is verging on difficult to read your plea here due to the grammar errors and usage of a non word (anythings). I feel for you though, and I have bad news for you. I broke my shoulder ( the ball end cap of my medulla actually) when I was 14 on a dare from my friends while sledding on a cold upstate NY night. That injury has been with me ever since. I don't believe a Doc visit or two is what you are in for for your recovery.

If there are broken bone area (s) then it is what is. Casting it is probably not going to help you long term.

I have some ideas for long term recovery and the physical therapists here do come highly recommended but are going to cost you more than you might be willing. Could you please tell us a bit more of the current state of the shoulder and I' ll research and help where I can. I won't bark about the writing but please review it and edit before posting or just after posting you can edit for 10 minutes or so and your plea will be received better and you will get higher quality help here. Also consider a photo or two to illustrate the current state of your shoulder.
I have highlighted a few areas of your own writing that needs attention, Perhaps spend some time checking your own grammar and use of correct words yourself before criticising others.

You broke your medulla? how did that go for you? The medulla oblongata (medulla) is one of the three regions that make up the brainstem.

But it is what is huh? :ROFL:
@Grand Barong,
It is what it is, I did not take my own medicine and proofread and it looks like I am a cocky fat bastard after all. The broken bone area (s) sentence is as correct as I could get it whilst still being casual, i.e. he may have a single break or a few breaks.
The Medulla thing I will blame my father for, I was going off a 40 year old memory of his review of the X rays and I recall his usage of "medulla" in a tangent he was on and I just got carried away here and substituted "medulla"for humerus somehow, my apologies. I could have sworn that my Old man was calling the ball end of the humerus the medulla but he may have been referring to the medula like this example from the Free Dictionary: (mĭ-dŭl′ə) pl. me·dul·las or me·dul·lae (-dŭl′ē) 1. The inner core of certain organs or body structures, such as the marrow of bone.

More importantly, our patient, Mr Happychappy, would do well to research some immediate first responder and ongoing treatment stuff for his injuries, I feel for him. Remember R I C E from any first aid training you may have had? That is RICE meaning: "While RICE isn't the optimal way to treat and cure many soft-tissue injuries, it can still be used effectively as a first-aid treatment. RICE can help an injured person bear the brunt of the initial wave of pain until the severity of the injury is determined." (https://renew-physicaltherapy.com/use-r ... m-healing/. For the interested few that refuse to look stuff up even though you are voluntarily living in the Information Age, RICE means, Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate. Contemporary treatment strategists generally do not push RICE for rehab but RICE is still the go to technique for the first response and ongoing trauma phases or say the first 12 to 96 hours. Once you realize you'll be needing that body part to fully function again you'll want to get away from RICE ing too much.

I'd rather break my humerus again than get soft tissue damage to a joint. Deal with it happychappy, it's not going to be 100% again unfortunately, the worst thing you can do is immobilize it and pray it gets better, pain is good and blood flow is the key to getting better. The experts really push the heating pads a lot sooner than you may be aware of, basically they say heat vs ice as soon as the acute pain and swelling phase is over. If you read up on how to fix this you'll save money and maybe you can direct a massage person to do as you have read and understand.

Some links I found that are good: http://www.absolutephysiotherapy.co.uk/ ... iques.html , https://renew-physicaltherapy.com/use-r ... m-healing/ , https://propelphysiotherapy.com/physiot ... ue-release , https://www.impactphysicaltherapy.com/6 ... njuries-2/
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

HappyChappy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:43 am Had a moto crash the other day and I don't think anythings broken bit my shoulder is not in a good way. With no insurance and my wages cut due to covid I need to see someone compitant yet cheap.

Any suggestion?
So, @HappyChappy , on a scale of 1-10,

How would you rate our service?

How likely are you to recommend us to a friend?

How much pain are you still in?
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Gazzy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:15 pm Has he even had an x-ray? Surely the first course of action, no?
Nah no broken bones I'd know by now
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Any suggestion?
Hello again Sir, it is verging on difficult to read your plea here due to the grammar errors and usage of a non word (anythings). I feel for you though, and I have bad news for you. I broke my shoulder ( the ball end cap of my medulla actually) when I was 14 on a dare from my friends while sledding on a cold upstate NY night. That injury has been with me ever since. I don't believe a Doc visit or two is what you are in for for your recovery.

If there are broken bone area (s) then it is what is. Casting it is probably not going to help you long term.

I have some ideas for long term recovery and the physical therapists here do come highly recommended but are going to cost you more than you might be willing. Could you please tell us a bit more of the current state of the shoulder and I' ll research and help where I can. I won't bark about the writing but please review it and edit before posting or just after posting you can edit for 10 minutes or so and your plea will be received better and you will get higher quality help here. Also consider a photo or two to illustrate the current state of your shoulder.
Hi frend, wel I'm nw at the stge were mi sholder has ful rnge of moshion but mi kne is actuly getin wurse. Hip aint doin grt eather.
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

bossho wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:35 pm
Grand Barong wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:07 pm [/url][/url]

Any suggestion?

I have highlighted a few areas of your own writing that needs attention, Perhaps spend some time checking your own grammar and use of correct words yourself before criticising others.

You broke your medulla? how did that go for you? The medulla oblongata (medulla) is one of the three regions that make up the brainstem.

But it is what is huh? :ROFL:
@Grand Barong,
It is what it is, I did not take my own medicine and proofread and it looks like I am a cocky fat bastard after all. The broken bone area (s) sentence is as correct as I could get it whilst still being casual, i.e. he may have a single break or a few breaks.
The Medulla thing I will blame my father for, I was going off a 40 year old memory of his review of the X rays and I recall his usage of "medulla" in a tangent he was on and I just got carried away here and substituted "medulla"for humerus somehow, my apologies. I could have sworn that my Old man was calling the ball end of the humerus the medulla but he may have been referring to the medula like this example from the Free Dictionary: (mĭ-dŭl′ə) pl. me·dul·las or me·dul·lae (-dŭl′ē) 1. The inner core of certain organs or body structures, such as the marrow of bone.

More importantly, our patient, Mr Happychappy, would do well to research some immediate first responder and ongoing treatment stuff for his injuries, I feel for him. Remember R I C E from any first aid training you may have had? That is RICE meaning: "While RICE isn't the optimal way to treat and cure many soft-tissue injuries, it can still be used effectively as a first-aid treatment. RICE can help an injured person bear the brunt of the initial wave of pain until the severity of the injury is determined." (https://renew-physicaltherapy.com/use-r ... m-healing/. For the interested few that refuse to look stuff up even though you are voluntarily living in the Information Age, RICE means, Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate. Contemporary treatment strategists generally do not push RICE for rehab but RICE is still the go to technique for the first response and ongoing trauma phases or say the first 12 to 96 hours. Once you realize you'll be needing that body part to fully function again you'll want to get away from RICE ing too much.

I'd rather break my humerus again than get soft tissue damage to a joint. Deal with it happychappy, it's not going to be 100% again unfortunately, the worst thing you can do is immobilize it and pray it gets better, pain is good and blood flow is the key to getting better. The experts really push the heating pads a lot sooner than you may be aware of, basically they say heat vs ice as soon as the acute pain and swelling phase is over. If you read up on how to fix this you'll save money and maybe you can direct a massage person to do as you have read and understand.

Some links I found that are good: http://www.absolutephysiotherapy.co.uk/ ... iques.html , https://renew-physicaltherapy.com/use-r ... m-healing/ , https://propelphysiotherapy.com/physiot ... ue-release , https://www.impactphysicaltherapy.com/6 ... njuries-2/
Yea I'm hearing ya. I actually found a place that has saunas and hot / cold baths. I'm thinking that should help but honestly this is the first this has happened to me so regarding physio I'm going to have to look into rehabilitation if it doesn't ease up soon.
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:22 am

Any suggestion?
So, @HappyChappy , on a scale of 1-10,

How would you rate our service?

How likely are you to recommend us to a friend?

How much pain are you still in?
Service 5

Recommend 10

Pain, enough to not be able to do any fucking weight training and it's driving me fucking nuts. If you remember my previous post about getting cheap weights so I could start working out again to save my sanity........well I got some, and sanity resumed. Now I'm back to square fucking one.
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Can anyone recommend a credible physio therapist?

My buddies hooking me up with a chiropractor, which really won't resolve the issue IMO but couldn't hurt 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

HappyChappy wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:31 pm Can anyone recommend a credible physio therapist?

My buddies hooking me up with a chiropractor, which really won't resolve the issue IMO but couldn't hurt 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
This guy.

Dick Van Der Poel
https://www.physiotherapy-phnompenh.com ... n-der-poel
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Gazzy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:15 pm Has he even had an x-ray? Surely the first course of action, no?
Okay I think I just found out that an x-ray isn't just for broken bones and can identify tissue damage. Anyone know a cheap place I can get an X-ray or ultrasound?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

HappyChappy wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:44 am
Okay I think I just found out that an x-ray isn't just for broken bones and can identify tissue damage. Anyone know a cheap place I can get an X-ray or ultrasound?
I got sent for an Xray on my first visit to Phnom Penh Physiotherapy (PPP). It was a maternity clinic (ultrasound) and out the back they had an Xray machine. It was my first brush with Khmer medical costs and had no idea what I was in for. The total cost was under $30 and I was in and out in under an hour. I was astonished. It was a long time ago, and cannot remember exactly where it was, and it may be a very long way from you.

Here is a plan. Call PPP and ask them where they refer you to, and give them your location.

I bet there is an X-ray machine within 10 minutes from where you live and you could walk in, without an appointment, and out again within 60 minutes with your images under your arm and all for under $40.

As for ultrasound, they are everywhere, all the maternity and Cardio clinics have them. But while they will know how to look at a foetus or an aortic valve, they might not be able to tell you much about a torn ligament. I think you need a scan for that and someone capable of interpretation of the results.

All this really ought to be undertaken with your physio examining you and advising you. Diagnosis is one thing, rehabilitation is another.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic