How the British Embassy has failed its citizens

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

How the British Embassy has failed its citizens

Post by IraHayes »

Let's make life easy for anyone looking into the background on the British Embassy.

If it failed it will on here somewhere right?
If you can recall a thread where the Embassy did little to help or want to add your thoughts on how they have failed their citizens then please post post it here.
I have added GB News to the list Yerg posted on the Homeless Brit in SR thread and if we can find out where this guy was from back in Blighty maybe his local newspaper will be interested.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: How the British Embassy has failed its citizens

Post by IraHayes »

From AndyKK
The thread/post
post502486.html?hilit=british%20embassy#p502486
I was the same when I recently was unable to access my UK bank accounts. Security would not let me into the British Embassy's grounds, but did give me a card with the telephone number. So I called, the lady answered "can I help you"? I explained my unfortunate situation, asking if I could receive a call on their landline telephone, too confirm myself, then my accounts would be activated again. Certainly not was her answer, I then asked if she knew a landline in the city I could use. I can't say because it is not our policy to help or be involved with a persons bank account. Okay then if I am out in the street soon, could you help me then, the answer to this, have you not got family and friends. The receiver must have been put down because the phone call was over now. I have no words for our representatives of our country, or that of a fellow countryman.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

A whole lot of Brits get in trouble abroad. The embassy isn't going to take responsibility for destitute subjects. They are here to deal with trade and enriching the treasury. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Yep, in this case it's a disadvantage of being British, as our embassy here is incompetent and indifferent to the suffering of newborn Brits abroad. To elaborate a little:

Kids with foreign parents are (anecdotally) pretty much always initially refused a birth certificate. There is no legal reason for this, it's pure extortion. For Americans when this happens they can make a note of the phone number of the office denying their legal right to a birth certificate, they give the phone number to their embassy, the embassy calls the office, asks why the birth certificate is being denied, and it magically gets approved and created the following day. Conversely if you're British the embassy will just tell you that they have no jurisdiction and therefore won't even try to help you. Of course not having jurisdiction doesn't mean they can't help, but as far as they are concerned it's enough for it to no longer be their problem, so they just don't care. Pointing out that your newborn infant is being subjected to racist discrimination and illegal extortion (and is therefore the victim of a crime) also doesn't help.
From this thread: ask-the-expats-questions-answers/birth- ... 32559.html
John Bingham wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:07 pm The embassy isn't going to take responsibility for destitute subjects
They don't limit their apathy to people who are destitute or difficult situations without an obvious solution. Their counterparts from other countries put them to shame when you compare their actions, as per the example above.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

They don't limit their apathy to people who are destitute or difficult situations without an obvious solution. Their counterparts from other countries put them to shame when you compare their actions, as per the example above.
Having needed help in Spain and the Middle East in the dim and distant past, I can vouch that other embassy staff and officials in other countries are (were) extremely helpful. JB isn't wrong, as the embassy in PP clearly has a set of instructions or directives that preclude assisting UK nationals in strife in Cambodia (for whatever reason). (Or the people working there are either lazy, incompetent, stupid or... [insert your own adjective here].)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bubble T wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:23 pm
They don't limit their apathy to people who are destitute or difficult situations without an obvious solution.
Sure, I was being hyperbolic.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I recall a plane requested by a single UK citizen to bring back other fellow compatriots at the time covid kicked well in and the UK embassy wasn't handling too well the last plane call for it's citizens to go home safely.
So, not too surprised, although still disappointed for your guy who needed a quick hand.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

The British Embassy in Cambodia has been notorious for as long as I can recall for being rather cavalier about citizen support. They also have little funding and staff, so the problem is rooted back at the mothership.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

It's not been fit for purpose for years.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I met a very nice woman at the British embassy. She had only been there for a few weeks though.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic