Homeless British Man Passed Away in Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Homeless British Man Passed Away in Siem Reap

Post by Alex »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:51 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:48 am
Yerg wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:27 pm
Username Taken wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:19 am
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:44 am This should be front page news in England.
@General Mackevili, know anyone in the press in UK?

Time to shame these shameless tossers (i wanted to use a word starting with 'c', but thought better of it).
For what it is worth, I have forwarded the story details to Times, Telegraph, Express, Mail, Mirror and Sun. Whilst not holding out on any hope, let's hope one of them takes a deeper look in to things. RIP.
Not The Guardian? They rarely turn up the chance to bash the government.
Tell them he identified as non-binary and they'll put the story on their front page.
Tell them they identified as non-binary. Please.
Karwo
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Karwo »

Good Morning,

I am writing this from the UK. Jason is from my home town. News of his passing has very slowly filtered through to us but seriously it is very vague and very limited.

I would really like to speak to anyone who knew Jason, especially his friend who wrote about providing him with food and supporting him with the embassy.

I along with other childhood friends of his would like to know where he is and whether he is coming home.

I do not wish to comment on his family but there seems to be nothing from them to help.

The thought of him in cold storage is too unbearable and considering he was desperate to get home before his passing it would be the only right thing to do, in trying to help this happen or at least know someone is working on it.

Your information would be greatly received.

K
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Hi K,

I think I knew Jason but can't be 100% from the 1 photo of him on this report.

I didn't want to say anything as I can't give you anything definitive but it seems nobody has anything to help with your enquiry.

As for getting him home, I have to say it seems unlikely now. I must stress again that this is only speculative. My understanding is that there is minimal cold storage here in Cambodia and most / all of that is in the capital. There is also the cost of repatriation, which can run to tens of thousands of dollars. It seems unlikely that someone who was reported as homeless and who had minimal funds would be kept at the expense of the government. The norm here is cremation rather than burial so I would guess that's already happened. Probably the best place to check would be the with UK consulate here (via email?) for confirmation of that. In spite of their failings - as reported in this thread - I think they might respond to an email of this nature. I don't know what else to suggest. Local authorities will be difficult to liaise with of course.

I hope this helps and that you can find some closure on this.

Condolences
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

I did not know the man, but his story hits close to home. Quite disgusting for embassies to shrug responsibility.

Some of the earlier posters expressed interest in getting press coverage. Perhaps, a whole bunch of us could submit the story here,

https://www.theguardian.com/securedrop
and
https://emeaportal.prnewswire.com/
https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/contact-us/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic