Homeless British Man Passed Away in Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bong Kri
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Homeless British Man Passed Away in Siem Reap

Post by Bong Kri »

Sambodia wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:22 am Does anyone have more information on cause of death? 46 is awful young even if he was living rough; there's reference to an illness, but no specifics
I was talking with a homeless person in SR yesterday who witnessed the incident and said that he knew the deceased. He said the official verdict was a stroke I believe. I can only imagine the effects of living on the streets in this country, however no nutrition, fuelled with alcohol and drugs, would bring a lot of people down at 46. Very sad, RIP.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:19 am
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:44 am This should be front page news in England.
@General Mackevili, know anyone in the press in UK?

Time to shame these shameless tossers (i wanted to use a word starting with 'c', but thought better of it).
I’d want to know a bit more about the story, first.
Yes, I’ve found the embassy bureaucracy to be lacking on several occasions, but also am well aware that sometimes, people simply won’t follow simple instructions.

If no assistance was given, then name and shame.
But if any instructions were issued, but not adhered to, ..? Sometime, you’re just banging your head for nothing.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Met this fellow a few times years and years ago, he wasn't down and out at the time.

R.I.P
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I agree with others, much has been left out of this sorry tale.

For one thing, a US$15,000 fine. If I am correct, it's $10 a day for overstay, yes? If so that's 1500 days or just over 4 years. His problems started pre-pandemic. Hmmm . . .
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Tragic story that could happen to any of us. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to turn an RIP thread into an embassy bashing thread, but I'm so ashamed at the way our British embassy behaves out here. It's not an embassy in the traditional sense. Far from it. It has absolutely no concern for British nationals whatsoever. We are utterly on our own out here. The British Embassy in Cambodia serves as nothing more than yet another pathetic attempt at getting a British shoe wedged into some Asian door somewhere so that we can try to make friends and hopefully some trade deals now that we've told our old friends to fuck off.

You just have to look at the way they behaved at the start of the pandemic. Their initial reaction was to simply close the embassy. At a time of global crisis, and especially where there were so many tourists stranded and scared here with no way to get home, they simply shut up shop and cut off all communication with everyone. They might have given out an email address or a phone number but nobody ever received or realistically expected to receive a reply from either. From the very start, the message was that we were all on our own.

I raise my eyebrows every time I read posts from people of other nationalities who ask for advice online and people simply reply with "Go to the embassy, they'll sort it out". If only it could be that easy for us Brits. I get it that the embassy has limited resources and that people need to take responsibility for themselves, but there are times when non-intervention by the embassy is tantamount to a dereliction of duty, and when it leads to people dying, as in this case, perhaps criminally so.

I could go on and on over this but I'll stop there as I don't want to contaminate the thread too much with my bile, but whoever suggested going to the papers in the UK made a good suggestion. People back home do need to be made aware that their embassy, paid for by their tax dollars (pounds) is knowingly allowing British nationals to die on foreign streets and actively turning them away when they desperately go to them for help.

RIP to the guy. So young as well. Such an avoidable tragedy.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

A very sad situation however and my sincere condolences to the deceased and his friends and family.

I absolutely echo the sentiments of other posters who have pointed to the flaws in the British Embassy. They are beyond useless, inept and nothing but a national embarrassment. It makes you wonder whose sons and daughters the staff are because they clearly didn't attain their positions on merit.

Perhaps the pandemic wasn't a direct cause but if it was the reason he was unable to work as a tour guide then it was certainly a secondary cause. As I have said on other threads, the remedy may be worse than the illness. How many Cambodians have lost income or jobs that mean they can't eat or seek medical treatment? I would hazard a guess far more people will die as a result of the lockdowns than from the virus in the end.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:44 am This should be front page news in England.

Time to shame these shameless tossers (i wanted to use a word starting with 'c', but thought better of it).
For what it is worth, I have forwarded the story details to Times, Telegraph, Express, Mail, Mirror and Sun. Whilst not holding out on any hope, let's hope one of them takes a deeper look in to things. RIP.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

You could ask the Ambassador for her take on the story via her Twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tsredshaw
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Yerg wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:27 pm

For what it is worth, I have forwarded the story details to Times, Telegraph, Express, Mail, Mirror and Sun. Whilst not holding out on any hope, let's hope one of them takes a deeper look in to things. RIP.
Not The Guardian? They rarely turn up the chance to bash the government.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:48 am
Yerg wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:27 pm

Not The Guardian? They rarely turn up the chance to bash the government.
Tell them he identified as non-binary and they'll put the story on their front page.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic