ID needed to pick up transfer Western Union

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ken.doyle
Tourist
Australia

Re: ID needed to pick up transfer Western Union

Post by ken.doyle »

Thanks for your replies, my friend received the money.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:24 pm
ken.doyle wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:46 am Hi,
I'm wanting to send some money to a Khmer friend in Siem Riep using Western Union from Sydney.
Do you guys know what ID details I should get from him to enaure he can pick it up?
Just get your Khmer friend to take a good clear photo of his Cambodian Photo ID Card with his or another persons smart phone and send it to you. This way you will have the correct spelling of his name in both Khmer script and in English script. Because to collect money you send him it will have to be sent in the exact same names as on the document used for identification to collect the money.

Many Cambodians are known by one name but their ID Card/Official Name may be slightly different.

OML
I have sent lots and lots via World Remit to Wing Cambodia and never once has the ID thing come up other than hearing a World Remit rep read back the "the no ID required clause" for Wing. Once World Remit releases the money to Wing, it's Wing's rules and there is no going back to WR to make changes. All Wing needs is the phone number to receive to be written and that phone number has to be there to receive funds. Wing will give you $999 5x in one day with Rumple Stilskin written in and any sender number if you have the right receive number.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

And in respect of transfers to Cambodia from elsewhere using WorldRemit - WorldRemit instructions for each transfer collection from Wing reads as follows . . .

. . .
Great news! You’ve sent 150.00 USD to XXXXX YYYYY.

What does XX YY need to do?
They need to quote 75660526 and present their ID to collect the cash from Wing. The money will be available for collection within minutes.

I was not posting about a Cambodian domestic Wing-to-Wing money transfer of which I have made my fair share. I was posting about International WorldRemit money transfers.

OML
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:57 am And in respect of transfers to Cambodia from elsewhere using WorldRemit - WorldRemit instructions for each transfer collection from Wing reads as follows . . .

. . .
Great news! You’ve sent 150.00 USD to XXXXX YYYYY.

What does XX YY need to do?
They need to quote 75660526 and present their ID to collect the cash from Wing. The money will be available for collection within minutes.

I was not posting about a Cambodian domestic Wing-to-Wing money transfer of which I have made my fair share. I was posting about International WorldRemit money transfers.

OML
With all due respect who cares what World Remit states to their customers after the money has been sent to Wing @OML
World Remit's instructions for Wing cash pick up are not material to anything once the money goes from WR to Wing ( "the local partner" in WR's language). You cannot change the recipient details once its in Wing's hands, you allegedly can cancel still although I've yet to do do it and see it through.
We were discussing WR to Wing Cambodia cash pick up and we are here now talking about World Remit to Wing Cambodia cash p/u so we are clear. When WR says here's the 8 digit numeric code for the receiver to quote and the receiver needs to present their ID to Wing it has no bearing on what is needed to get the money from the local partner, Wing. If you ask a typical WR representative they will likely reinforce the ID and code bit and like I said before it does not matter what WR wants after the money is released to Wing as Wing will not allow any changes at that point. No ID is required to pick up cash from Wing in ANY circumstances.
Mr.November
Expatriate
Poland

Post by Mr.November »

No idea why people still use those services in the era of crypto.

I guess the same reason people still may use phone booths in the era of Telegram and Zoom.

Sending cash using crypto internationally is virtually free. No ID needed.

Getting cash from USDT in Cambodia is very easy, plenty of small exchange places cash out USDT. Or just check Binance P2P. Changing AUD to USDT in Australia is just as easy online.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Mr.November wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:17 pm No idea why people still use those services in the era of crypto.

I guess the same reason people still may use phone booths in the era of Telegram and Zoom.

Getting cash from USDT in Cambodia is very easy, plenty of small exchange places cash out USDT. Or just check Binance P2P. Changing AUD to USDT in Australia is just as easy online.
Ok, so I trade my ETH for USDT. Then what? What does an exchange place look like?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Mr.November
Expatriate
Poland

Post by Mr.November »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:03 am Ok, so I trade my ETH for USDT. Then what? What does an exchange place look like?
A) Go to Binance website, navigate to P2P, Sell, search for KHR, enter amount, press sell, chat with seller and agree how to get cash. I always use ABA, but if your recipient needs paper cash, most Khmer traders on Binance will send via TrueMoney, eMoney, Wing (or others) which can be then picked up from agents all over the country. Or ask to go collect cash. In Cambodia 1 USDT is slightly over $1. I usually get 1.003 for each USDT. If I list myself, a bit more, but need to wait a bit.

B) Search USDT on Telegram - you will find quite a few Khmer money changers. Usually it's possible to go in person.

C) Ask around, find someone who wants to buy USDT (me for example, every last day of every month) and meet/arrange local payment.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

[quote=Mr.November post_id=506732 time=1628795966 user_id=14904]
[quote=Pseudonomdeplume post_id=506719 time=1628787836 user_id=20424]
Ok, so I trade my ETH for USDT. Then what? What does an exchange place look like?
[/quote]

A) Go to Binance website, navigate to P2P, Sell, search for KHR, enter amount, press sell, chat with seller and agree how to get cash. I always use ABA, but if your recipient needs paper cash, most Khmer traders on Binance will send via TrueMoney, eMoney, Wing (or others) which can be then picked up from agents all over the country. Or ask to go collect cash. In Cambodia 1 USDT is slightly over $1. I usually get 1.003 for each USDT. If I list myself, a bit more, but need to wait a bit.

B) Search USDT on Telegram - you will find quite a few Khmer money changers. Usually it's possible to go in person.

C) Ask around, find someone who wants to buy USDT (me for example, every last day of every month) and meet/arrange local payment.
[/quote]

@Mr November can you just please start a separate thread about what it is you have to offer? The things you know about etc. because I am interested in what you are offering however I don't think it's related in the slightest to what we're talking about here in this thread which is sending local people money.
So please consider starting a separate thread on the options available for crypto as most of us are really just learning about that and we would appreciate just some fundamental basics and how to get some crypto.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Mr.November wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:17 pm No idea why people still use those services in the era of crypto.

Ok, I'm going to bite here, and, as a fellow crypto holder, be as nice as I can..

Please explain, step by step how, let's call him Samnang the rice farmer, can (1) Get a crypto wallet using nothing but a Nokia feature phone, (2) Get money onto that wallet in Cambodia from the cash in his pocket (3) Cash out money from that wallet in Cambodia.

I had a heck of a lot of hoops to get my crypto wallet up and running in country, without leaving the country - did I do it all wrong? For me:
(1) Open a new bank account in the UK - even without living there/going there; Starling Bank, completely online - slightly 'iffy' UK address provided...
(2) Open a Coinbase account (required a UK bank account)
(3) Transact, etc.

Steps 1 & 2 I think are entirely out of reach for the average Cambodian in the street, thus 3 also - how would you do it?
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Mr.November wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:19 am
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:03 am Ok, so I trade my ETH for USDT. Then what? What does an exchange place look like?

Looks like I crossed threads with this one - thanks for share. You should however note that any facilitation of crypto/cash exchange is strictly forbidden by the Central Bank here, so enjoy it whilst you can. As this becomes more common knowledge & somebody up top hears of it, I suspect you'll see the regulator give each of these institutions a serious dressing down. I'm guessing it is a mere fraction of current transfers, so it hasn't hit the radar yet.
Great while it lasts! :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic