Mr. Vanny, the One-Legged Scrap Collector

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Mr. Vanny, the One-Legged Scrap Collector

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Vanny, the One-Legged Scrap Collector, is a story of courage in the face of adversity.

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): Everyday Vanny goes to every corner to pick up scrap metal to sell just to make a living. Vanny and his daughter go through the bins in front of people's houses to find cans, water bottles and other items that can be sold.

"One day I can earn from 20,000 to 30,000 riel. While collecting the scrap metal, sympathetic people offered some food, noodles, fish, which just alleviated the difficulties, "Mr. Vanny said with a dry face.

Mr. Soda Vanny was not born with a disability. He was originally physically fit but became paralyzed in 2020 due to a drilling rig in his right leg, when he worked as a construction worker, earning an average of $ 20 a day. After the disability, life changed dramatically.

Sod Vanny, 34, is responsible for supporting his wife and two children. Today, his family lives in a rented house around Stung Meanchey. He was born in Kravanh district, Pursat province. "Every morning, I take my 8-year-old daughter out of our rented house to pick up scrap metal around the Olympic Market, around the Chinese Embassy, ​​the former Tuol Sleng Prison and around Boeung Keng Kang until 5 to 6 p.m."
Scrap collecting is not just for food, because he has to save to pay for the monthly rent and for the baby milk. Before the Covid-19 epidemic, his wife went out to work as a construction worker, but since Phnom Penh was devastated by the disease, his wife can no longer sell her labor, so the family depends on him and his daughter to collect enough scrap metal to live on.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Mr. Vanny, the One-Legged Scrap Collector

Post by Ghostwriter »

I guess he could do better as a tuktuk.
Isn't there any NGO willing to help one-legged people to get a motorized job ?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:23 am I guess he could do better as a tuktuk.
NGO?? Send him to the Khmer rouge.
That's where all amputees should go.

- if you believe one study (which i do)
This is a copy of my fourth post on CEO
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:41 pm Hi folks. This is slightly off-thread but it may be a good audience..
Around 2006-7 a study was released here - a comprehensive survey of amputees sampled from around the country.
The big finding was that on all "indicators" (except maybe one??), those from communities of former Khmer rouge scored higher.
The conclusion was that a strong culture of self-sufficiency within those communities, and a refusal to accept outside help, led to better outcomes - than for all other models of recovery/assistance/empowerment.
Significantly better outcomes.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find this study since. (it was reported in C.Daily when first released)

About 5/6 years ago a major conference of various Cambodian and international amputee agencies happened to show up in my little town. When I asked a few of the participants if they had heard of this study, they got a bit defensive and quickly steered the conversation elsewhere.
They probably thought I was just one of those old expats who hates NGO's, "do-gooders" and all their work. I am not. (but i still beleive the study)

Anybody got any thoughts on this quandary - the empowerment V. dependence dance? Here in Cambodia.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I remember some years ago reading about Halo Trust helping more so with landmine casualties.
This is an interesting read of a guy getting back into society from his injuries, but suffered humiliation at the time of his accident from people who he may have thought would have been more supportive -

CREATING A FUTURE WITHOUT BARRIERS IN CAMBODIA
INTERNATIONAL DAY OF PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES

“I want to tell those who used to discriminate against me that although I am disabled, I will persevere with life.”
Soy Kossal

Six years ago, aged just 28, Soy Kossal thought his life was over. He was living in Veal Roloem, Battambong, with his wife (known as Kolab to her friends) and two children, farming the land and working as a carpenter to support his family. One morning he went with four friends to clear vegetation, walking along a well-trodden path through the undergrowth. Suddenly an explosion shattered the quiet. Soy Kossal had stepped on a landmine. His friends rushed him to hospital but the force of the blast had amputated his leg.

For Soy Kossal, the impact of losing his leg was profound. Unable to lift heavy objects he could no longer work as a carpenter or farm his land. He feared that without his leg he would never be able to find work and look after his family. He faced discrimination because of his injury, some people told his wife she should divorce him because he only had one leg.

"People were discriminating about me behind my back, asking my wife 'why do you still continue to live with him, he’s missing a leg. You should get a divorce.' I was ashamed and isolated myself from everyone."
Soy Kossal

But Kolab stayed by his side, telling Soy Kossal he still had a good future. Gradually with her support, Soy Kossal was able to overcome the emotional trauma of the accident and start looking forwards. Kolab already worked for HALO and encouraged Soy Kossal to apply to become a deminer, knowing that his injury would not be a barrier.

“You are only missing one leg, but there are others who are missing both legs, yet they could still find income. So as long as you are still alive, you can also do it.”

The road to recovery was difficult, both emotionally and physically but Soy Kossal persevered.

https://www.halotrust.org/latest/halo-u ... abilities/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:02 am
Ghostwriter wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:23 am I guess he could do better as a tuktuk.
NGO?? Send him to the Khmer rouge.
That's where all amputees should go.

- if you believe one study (which i do)
This is a copy of my fourth post on CEO
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:41 pm Hi folks. This is slightly off-thread but it may be a good audience..
Around 2006-7 a study was released here - a comprehensive survey of amputees sampled from around the country.
The big finding was that on all "indicators" (except maybe one??), those from communities of former Khmer rouge scored higher.
The conclusion was that a strong culture of self-sufficiency within those communities, and a refusal to accept outside help, led to better outcomes - than for all other models of recovery/assistance/empowerment.
Significantly better outcomes.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find this study since. (it was reported in C.Daily when first released)

About 5/6 years ago a major conference of various Cambodian and international amputee agencies happened to show up in my little town. When I asked a few of the participants if they had heard of this study, they got a bit defensive and quickly steered the conversation elsewhere.
They probably thought I was just one of those old expats who hates NGO's, "do-gooders" and all their work. I am not. (but i still beleive the study)

Anybody got any thoughts on this quandary - the empowerment V. dependence dance? Here in Cambodia.
Did you miss the part where it said he lost his leg in a construction accident? 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

??
Very little to do with how it happened.
'Talking about the approach to assistance.
From outside NGOs, or from self-reliant communities.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:51 pm ??
Problem is, and not only speculation! I was told only the other week from an enquiry I had made too an NGO organisation, there is very little they can do when you are talking help for one or two individuals. Little sad, and unhelpful for ones who may need a little assistance.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:51 pm ??
I think his response was to your comment about sending him “To the Khmer Rouge”, which I’m not is possible now.
People of the world, spice up your life.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Yes, that's very true too, Andy.
Fact is, everybody knows i am a pathetic sucker for a guy who is down on his luck, just as much as any "do-gooding" NGO.
I certainly think there is a place for outside assistance (!!) - but i also see the dangers of a "dependence" or "victim" mentality that some of the NGOs seem to unconsciously promote in those they are trying to help.

It's not so noticable now - but when i first arrived a bit over 15 years ago - many NGO's were training their "charges" to really playup the sob story and the victim angle.
It may have bought in immediate cash, but it never sat right with me. I am more inclined to give added assistance to a bloke with one leg who talks about how he is determined he is to stand on his own two feet - instead of asking for a handout given out out of pity.

Another factor of course is that many Cambodian communities are just not geared up to support others in the way that some former KR communities do.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Well, that was a lot of words and postures for no pragmatic answers.

Handicaped in a cripled country ? -> ask a NGO seems rather pragmatic, but i must have been mistaken about their role.

Carry on, please now tell us the best approach for his wife to lay bricks or pour concrete, is there any past article about deep insights on how to reconcile the future of construction in Kow and breathing dust for mothers of several kids who sticks to their diminished but still standing husband ?

Or any useful suggestion ?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic