Stateless Fishers Cast Out by Cambodia, Shut Out by Vietnam

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Stateless Fishers Cast Out by Cambodia, Shut Out by Vietnam

Post by Tootsfriend »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:14 am 'Not sure how that is relevant in any way to this particular and pressing issue in Cambodia, C.O.D.

PS. I have never squatted without papers in either Au or Kh
I have never been unable or unwilling to regularise myself. (EVery border crosser's primary responsibility)
I have never been asked to stop shitting in the water and to stop stealing fish in unlawful ways slap-dang in the middle of either countries most crucial and sensitive protein source.

Kiwis are not usually famous for that kinda stuff - but sorry to say, 'hard truth, many Vietnamese in Cambodia are.
It's a problem - well, according to Cambodia it is anyway.

You point out the things that I agree with you. But shitting in the water and polluting it is not only a problem cause by Vietnamese houseboat people but also by the thousands of Cambodian houses built along the Tonle Sap and Bassic . We could even include the semi treated sewerage that flows into the water in front of the riverside area.
The only answer to the Vietnamese floating houses is to have them moved onto land , and as to us referring to them as Vietnamese, I think many were born in Cambodia and would refer to themselves as Cambodian with Vietnam ancestry and have had documents denied to them or had them confiscated just recently.
Even you know that.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

easy to compare them to the Rohingya's, Burmese refuse to allow them citizenship
BUT< at least they were able to find a place to become refugees in.
Something Vietnam is not allowing
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

This is being done to placate the population. The CNRP made this one of their main platforms for the 2013 election. Now the incumbent powers have acted on it no opposition can make plausible claims there are "millions" of illegal Viets here anymore and nothing is being done about it.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Oh wow - a government responds to the will of the people by addressing a rampart unregulated flow of unauthorised immigrants.

Oh Shame.
Oh call the United Nations.
Oh call Human Rights Watch.
Oh start getting all teary for the for first time in your lives about uncontrolled foreigners settling anywhere they want without papers in a foreign land.
'Too right John, it is not popular. Not anywhere.

I'm just presenting another side of the coin to this story - Cambodia's side.
Many foreigners never hear that, about lots of issues. Amnesty International et al included.
- mainly because they are so full of righteous western liberal cynicism about anything and everything this country does.

just imo.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Oh start getting all teary for the for first time in your lives about uncontrolled foreigners settling anywhere they want without papers in a foreign land.
'Too right John, it is not popular. Not anywhere.
So when do the white people get repatriated from Australasia and the Americas?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

:facepalm:

delete - 'not worth it
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic