oudong or udong or what?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

oudong or udong or what?

Post by BklynBoy »

Does anyone know anything about oudong / udong ?

is it even the same place but different spelling?

has anyone ever been and is it worth checking out? I have a friend who lives there w/ her bf and she keeps stressing me to go but i couldnt really find much online..which probably makes me feel i will be bored out my ass

anyone ever been?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: oudong or udong or what?

Post by John Bingham »

It's the same place. It's worth a visit, it's mainly a few stupas and pagodas on a mountain. It can be very hot up there. There are some interesting modern pagodas on the plain below. I'll post some stuff later when my internet comes back on.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

We went early and had a look around the mountain, then went back down to a little stall by a pond to rent some shady hammocks, drink some beers, and eat some stir-fry and BBQ.
It was a long time ago, but I remember it as a pleasant day out in good company.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Mrs Cargo and I went up there recently on the moto..good trip up there..bit over an hour from memory from Riverside. Nice views up there and peaceful. Here's a few pics:

ImageImageImageImage
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That's the stupa they put the Buddha relic from the stupa in front of the train station in. I thought it was going to be used for Norodom Sihanouk's ashes but maybe not.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Worth a cheeky half day trip, it's not that far & you'd be back in PP before sunset after a decent lunch there. I've got an uncle-in-law who is a village chief out there, very dangerous with boxes of Black Panther, but also very serene & relaxing; great view from the top. It is a fair hike up the steps to the top, if you're not in above average shape you'll probably need to break it up into a couple of sprints - if going with a Khmer lady, she'll probably want a break before you so you're all good! ;)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:52 pm It is a fair hike up the steps to the top, if you're not in above average shape you'll probably need to break it up into a couple of sprints - if going with a Khmer lady, she'll probably want a break before you so you're all good! ;)
Yeah, several of these and one get's the idea..
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Historically it's important and of interest, but to visit it today is by no means extremely beautiful nor interesting. Worth a visit though if you've never been.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There's a box of skulls at the bottom of the hill too if you like that kind of stuff. For a day trip Phnom Chisor is much older and nicer and has great views. Also a lot of steps though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic