Phuket: 57 Years Old Swiss Woman Found Dead (Murdered?)

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Phuket: 57 Years Old Swiss Woman Found Dead (Murdered?)

Post by yong »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:36 pm To add even more attention to the case it turns out the lady was a Swiss Diplomatic Official, Like mentioned by PR surprising she was off the radar for 3 days before being found by accident.
Omg this is really deep
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Timeline for the Sandbox murder:
🗓 13 July: Arrived in Phuket
🗓 27 July: Took taxi to a hotel in Ao Nang, Krabi
🗓 31 July: Taxi back to Phuket
🗓 3 August: Walked out of hotel at noon and visited coffee shop
🗓 5 August: Body discovered
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:36 pm To add even more attention to the case it turns out the lady was a Swiss Diplomatic Official, Like mentioned by PR surprising she was off the radar for 3 days before being found by accident.
How so, the British Ambassador has been off the radar since arriving in Cambodia & nobody has reported her missing yet.

RIP all the same :(
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

She checked in at The Mooring Resort Hotel in tambon Vichit of Muang district. From July 31 to Aug 3, she stayed at the hotel and relaxed on its beach.

According to security camera footage, on Tuesday (Aug 3) she walked out of the hotel about 11.25am to Ao Yon beach. At 11.48am she walked alone on Ao Yon-Khao Khat Road towards Ao Yon waterfall. She wore shorts, a white shirt and dark shoes, tied a long-sleeved shirt around her waist and carried a dark rucksack.

She walked 18 minutes, covering 1.4 kilometres from The Mooring Resort to Ao Yon waterfall. She was later found dead in the stream at the waterfall, in tambon Vichit of Muang district, about 1.30pm on Thursday

seems like a crime of opportunity.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

I wouldnt bet my left testicle that Thais will try to find Burmese scapegoat (again). To much is in stake.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Chuck Borris wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:09 pm I wouldnt bet my left testicle that Thais will try to find Burmese scapegoat (again). To much is in stake.
Agree. It's likely that theThais will try to find a non-Thai scapegoat - BUT, as far as foreign tourists are concerned, I don't think they will make a difference between being murdered by a Thai or a migrant worker in Thailand. It's still going to be a major turn-off for western tourists looking at the "sandbox".
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:06 pm
Chuck Borris wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:09 pm I wouldnt bet my left testicle that Thais will try to find Burmese scapegoat (again). To much is in stake.
Agree. It's likely that theThais will try to find a non-Thai scapegoat - BUT, as far as foreign tourists are concerned, I don't think they will make a difference between being murdered by a Thai or a migrant worker in Thailand. It's still going to be a major turn-off for western tourists looking at the "sandbox".
why: the only connection between the murder and the sandbox is that she arrived in Phuket under the sandbox scheme>
if it had happened to a local expat or a thai would it have been different?

I hope they dont just put the blame on anyone, There over 75,000 Burmese on the island who contribute immensely to the islands industries doing jobs the thai's no longer will
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

^ Let's wait and see what the Thai officials say about this. But, they do have previous on blaming crimes on migrant workers. See Koh Tao etc.

All I'm saying is that this unhappy event is not a good look for the reopening of Thai tourism, and if I was a single woman looking for a tropical holiday, personal safety would be a factor to take into consideration.

And yes, of course it would be different if the victim was local. Thailand just opened up to tourists, and a woman tourist is apparently murdered shortly afterwards.
:facepalm:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

phuketrichard wrote:
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:31 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:31 am addition;
tourists are required to download the Mor chana tracking app when they arrive
Fuck. That.
??
how else will they know if u were around someone that tested positive without the tracking app?

its been in use with locals since last year.
In essence, the app will allow you to check in when you go to different locations around Thailand, enter shops and buildings. As guests in the country, expats and travellers here should acknowledge that we have a role and responsibility to play in getting this current situation under control, as well as the Thais.

Of course you are well entitled to decide NOT to download and activate the app but the narrative from the government is that they see More Chana as an important part of their strategy. The app will also alert you when you are entering areas or provinces of potentially high risk. Being alert to these situations is like being alert to any other type of news.

FYI:
read her phone was found near her body>>
No issues with Big Brother...?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:20 pm ^ Let's wait and see what the Thai officials say about this. But, they do have previous on blaming crimes on migrant workers. See Koh Tao etc.

All I'm saying is that this unhappy event is not a good look for the reopening of Thai tourism, and if I was a single woman looking for a tropical holiday, personal safety would be a factor to take into consideration.

And yes, of course it would be different if the victim was local. Thailand just opened up to tourists, and a woman tourist is apparently murdered shortly afterwards.
:facepalm:
Thailand has been open for tourists this whole year. The Phuket sandbox started July first to enable new arrivals to avoid quarantining in a hotel room. 14,000 used it, many believe more than 50% of those were not truly tourists but returning expats and thais returning home

Yea, unfortunate a lady was murdered but it has /had nothing to do with the sandbox.
using it in the headline is just sensationalism reporting.

FYI: plenty of single women posting on the fb sandbox page, saying how happy they are to have made it thru all the hoops.

NOT to be callous, but it wont affect arrivals at all, ( look at Koh Tao) what will affect the sandbox is the current added restrictions to enter Phuket, PLUS being unable to fly anywhere after ur 2 week stay
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic