Bangkok's streets expose Southeast Asia's new divides

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Bangkok's streets expose Southeast Asia's new divides

Post by Anchor Moy »

Alex wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:08 pm
Multipox wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:50 pm
Alex wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:29 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:11 am ....
If the leaders refuse to allow democratic practices and principles to take place - then Revolution is the only way "Government by the People" can come about.
??
That's basically the silver lining in this whole Covid mess: Things might finally get bad enough for a crucial mass of people to make a revolution a real possibility.

if you hang around Thailand long enough and get a feel for it, you see it's the same old story decade after decade:
demonstration for democracy by students from Thammasat,
people killed,
army takes over, etc etc
Yes, Thailand has been trapped in that vicious cycle for decades. I just hope that they will be able to break out at some point, and who knows, the Covid crisis might be the catalyst.

A country cannot be a "developing country" forever. At some point you either have to consider it developed or a failed state. Which one will it be?
Not only Thailand. It's the same story all over, but let's stick to SE Asia. I was in the Philippines when Marcos was deposed and everyone had such high hopes for the future. So much joy that turned to mud. And then there was Aung San Suu Kyi who was going to restore democracy and human rights in Burma.
I hate to be so cynical, but history is not on the side of power to the people.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I think that is very true, AM. and an important reality check. ^^
but on another level, instituting democracy, freedom, rights etc - is a process.
An eternal dance. always a struggle, very precarious and never fully achieved.

In our region that is especially the case. Democracy is such a new concept here.
Combine that with a booming wealth and development curve and you are bound to get good TV.

If you look at SEA history over the past 120 years ish (probably a relevant number) there has been a definite pos+ trend for democracy.
There have been spectacular successful and spectacular unsuccessful "revolutions".
There has been a huge development in the infrastructure of democratic institutions. There has been widespread adoption of the philosophy.
There has been many setbacks, subversions, corruptions and hardnuckle crackdowns.
The struggle goes on. it just does. Sometimes quiet, sometimes busy, sometimes boring, sometimes served up with red hot chilli pepper sauce.
I dont really see a change to that pattern, including the steady overall improvement.

(and PS, i think the battle between the struggle and the setbacks is about to heat up in the West once again.
For most of our life we have been on cruise control but that seems to be running out of steam.
We the People are spluttering, imo, The Machines are on the ascendancy once again)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Uncle-V wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:44 pm No vaccinations no return to normal. In Thai only 6 percent fully vaxed.
We are getting slammed here in Russia. almost 800 deaths a day. Not surprising considering that only 20% are fully vaccinated. Shameful as the jab has been easily available to anyone who will take it since Decemeber. At least the Thais and others have an excuse. Even Cambo has around 34% fully vaxed! Makes my blood boil.
Off topic, so apologies in advance.

Why is the vaccination rate so low in Russia?

Sputnik was super fast-tracked and reports are ok about it. It is just a strong anti-vax movement, distrust in that vaccine or inability to make progress on a 150 million population.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:48 am
Uncle-V wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:44 pm No vaccinations no return to normal. In Thai only 6 percent fully vaxed.
We are getting slammed here in Russia. almost 800 deaths a day. Not surprising considering that only 20% are fully vaccinated. Shameful as the jab has been easily available to anyone who will take it since Decemeber. At least the Thais and others have an excuse. Even Cambo has around 34% fully vaxed! Makes my blood boil.

Sputnik was super fast-tracked and reports are ok about it. It is just a strong anti-vax movement, distrust in that vaccine or inability to make progress on a 150 million population.
Anti-vaxxing is strong over there. Russian mate of mine told me he's shocked by how many people he knows who don't even believe the corona virus exists.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

siliconlife wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:08 am

Anti-vaxxing is strong over there. Russian mate of mine told me he's shocked by how many people he knows who don't even believe the corona virus exists.
How is this reported on (state?) media? Is it all Russia Great - Everywhere Else Bad propaganda news, or is there a campaign of encouragement or will they eventually compel then?

I wouldn't of thought Vlad will put up with it much longer.
Uncle-V
Expatriate
Croatia

Post by Uncle-V »

Not so much anti-vaxxers as low level of trust in Sputnik and anything coming from Russia as far as medicine goes. (people still ask me to bring them Ibuprohin and other over the counter drugs back when I go visit the states, though the local ones work just fine and are produced by Bayer etc.) A lot of of people I talked to who haven't been vaxed say they are waiting for one of the Western vaccines to come. Of course, RU will not let that happen any time soon as they push for their local vaccines.
Uncle-V
Expatriate
Croatia

Post by Uncle-V »

[/quote]

How is this reported on (state?) media? Is it all Russia Great - Everywhere Else Bad propaganda news, or is there a campaign of encouragement or will they eventually compel then?

I wouldn't of thought Vlad will put up with it much longer.
[/quote]

No they are pretty honest about the problem in the media and tyring to get encourage people to vaccinate.They even had a lottery in Moscow giving away cars and apartments. They also tried the stick. You had to get a QR code to go to restaurants. But abandoned that as people were getting fake codes and fake vaccine certificates. Now companies are suspending people who aren't vaxed -- but they are finding ways to get around that too.

The Russian state isn't as strong as it may seem first glance. They pretty much let people do what they want their private lives and people have had a lot of practice in finding wasy to get over and manipulate the bureaucracy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic