Cambodia to reopen to Tourists

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
khmerre
Expatriate

Re: Cambodia to reopen to Tourists

Post by khmerre »

Strawberryshake wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:10 pm Nobody is coming as long as face-masks, quarantines PCR testing, insurances, ect are still mandatory.
I don't think so
IMHO
The real obstacle for the European tourists is the quarantine (length, place etc).
face-mask inside, PCR-testing, insurances or VISA at the embassy are not the real obstacles.

In Europe there are many wealthy vaccinated tourists eager to start travelling outside Europe, but surely the mass international travel will take many years to return to the old levels,
Ahyou!whyme?
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Ahyou!whyme? »

khmerre wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:50 am
Strawberryshake wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:10 pm Nobody is coming as long as face-masks, quarantines PCR testing, insurances, ect are still mandatory.
I don't think so
IMHO
The real obstacle for the European tourists is the quarantine (length, place etc).
face-mask inside, PCR-testing, insurances or VISA at the embassy are not the real obstacles.

In Europe there are many wealthy vaccinated tourists eager to start travelling outside Europe, but surely the mass international travel will take many years to return to the old levels,
VISA at the embassy IS an obstacle when you need to be employed in Cambodia to get one.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Ahyou!whyme? wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:29 am
khmerre wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:50 am
I don't think so
IMHO

VISA at the embassy IS an obstacle when you need to be employed in Cambodia to get one.
As this thread is about the return of tourists, the issue of a visa will be fixed by the government when the decide to let them back in. The obvious way is to fire up the E-Visa website, which worked fine. However that allows for independent travellers. That's does not seem to be on their agenda just yet.

Currently, there are a small number of hotels making a lot of money in desperate times. The ownership and connections of those thriving hotels was the key factor that got them onto the lists, they did not win a lucky dip. They will not want anything to change unless they can be at the front of the next line for cushy business.

They are talking about package tours with operators arranging visa's and tours. Seriously, who has bought a package holiday since the internet? (probably only the Chinese). Furthermore, any westerner buys them through a regulated and bonded agents; we have all seen what happens when they go belly up. Who is going to trust a bunch of freshly minted 'tour operators' in Cambodia? And no regulated agents in other countries will be keen to promote them either.

Even if you get past this hurdle of trust, the hotels being offered by these new operators need to be selected and bribes (sorry, advanced commissions) need to be agreed. I think, and it's just a theory, the current quarantine hotels are the ones at the front of that queue, if for no other reason that they are geared up for 30 people arriving all at once in reception (a la tour groups).

The shape or form these tours will take is anyone's guess, but prepayment for trips and/or multi city travel might be required to prove your genuine tourist credentials. Good luck with that.

But, one thing is for sure, any quarantine of 48 hours is a major impediment, and any period of 14 days kills 99.99% of all normal tourism stone dead (there's always a few nutters that do it willingly).

When will tourist E-Visas be available, and fully independent travellers be allowed to return, with no testing or quarantining required? Your guess is as good as mine, be here is mine anyway...
Spoiler:
October 2022, with a bit of luck.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Of course everything depends the quarantaine, i went to phuket sandbox because exactly that quarantaine, was only 1 night at my hotel, before released on the island. Now almost a month here in Phuket, and still enjoying it much more then i would have thaught before coming (its my first thai-trip, after +10 KOW-trips). Plan is now to come to PP for X-mas, but if 14 days quarantaine wont change, i think i will very happily stay overhere !!
Sjookammmoooii !!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

see Thailand ( especially phuket) can be very enjoyable, even during a world wide crisis
even if ya cant drink that beer in a bottle at a bar full of semi named ladies :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ahyou!whyme?
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Ahyou!whyme? »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:15 pm Of course everything depends the quarantaine, i went to phuket sandbox because exactly that quarantaine, was only 1 night at my hotel, before released on the island. Now almost a month here in Phuket, and still enjoying it much more then i would have thaught before coming (its my first thai-trip, after +10 KOW-trips). Plan is now to come to PP for X-mas, but if 14 days quarantaine wont change, i think i will very happily stay overhere !!
Sjookammmoooii !!
How many time can you extend visa/entry for 30 day ?
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

i am here on a 45 day visa-excemption, then i can extend for 60 days at 1900 bath, and unofficial, i could extend that again and again at the moment, i spoke with people here they were doing that for over a year, but its not the official rule i would think !! It means i can stay until end november, and then hopefully come to PP but if not, i will stay here probably another 60 days !! Bad for ANCHOR-brewery, good for Chang-brewery !!
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:13 am A big gap is emerging between Asian countries (plus Australia) and most others when it comes to opening up.
In Asia, the policy is zero tolerance of Covid so that opening up is hesitatnt and the brakes get applied whenever there is a fresh outbreak, however small.
An example is the repeated deferral of the much anticipated reopening of Macau.
Whereas in Europe and North and Central America, the policy is now to open up based on proof of vaccine, often with no testing, and reasonable levels of fresh cases are taken as inevitable and no reason to go into a quick reverse.
Countries with low rates of vaccine (which is most of Asia) have little choice possibly.
But Cambodia's stunning success in vaccinations has given it a wonderful opportunity to forge ahead if it wants to do so.
yeah, would love to do a month or two in SE-Asia next year, but with how things are looking I'll most likely head to Europe for my holiday, probably in April... keep Asia on hold till at least Septemeber 2022
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Little bird told me that they are currently planning to open country in November or December for vaccinated tourist. 1-2 test still needed as well as 5-7 days quarantine in hotel. Let's see if it comes true. I would have hoped they would ditch quarantine totally or at least reduce 1-2 days or until your test results are done. Week is too long.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia considers reopening of borders for fully vaccinated foreign tourists
Cambodia's Phnom Penh capital has become the city having the highest ratio of COVID1-19 vaccination in Southeast Asia, enabling the Ministry of Tourism and relevant agencies to design a plan to reopen the country’s borders for fully vaccinated international tourists.
VNA Thursday, September 09, 2021 15:16

Phnom Penh (VNA) – Cambodia's Phnom Penh capital has become the city having the highest ratio of COVID1-19 vaccination in Southeast Asia, enabling the Ministry of Tourism and relevant agencies to design a plan to reopen the country’s borders for fully vaccinated international tourists.

The Khmer Times has quoted an announcement by the Ministry of Tourism as saying that fully vaccinated international tourists with proof of their inoculations could be allowed to enter Cambodia in early November 2021.

Cambodia is also considering lessening or the full removal of the 14-day quarantine policy for fully vaccinated tourists, barring certification showing a negative COVID test 72-hours before travel and another negative COVID-19 test upon arrival at Phnom Penh International Airport, it said.

The country is currently the second most vaccinated country in Southeast Asia after Singapore as it has already inoculated over 70 percent of its 16.5 million people, while residents in the capital city of Phnom Penh are already fully vaccinated and are already receiving third booster doses.

The country anticipates it will reach herd immunity with 75 percent of its population double vaccinated by the end of September this year./.
VNA
https://en.vietnamplus.vn/cambodia-cons ... 207711.vnp
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic