How to Invest in Cambodia: Asia’s Top Frontier Market

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: How to Invest in Cambodia: Asia’s Top Frontier Market

Post by Doc67 »

Arget wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:52 pm I lived in this place for two years. I left in April 2018. It was sold in December 2017.
It is entry through a internal lane and is ok during the day. Night time is not so good. A few crackheads and dodgy types about at night.
The renovation is better than it was when I lived there but its not the looks that will cause you issues. It is a "add on" level that is short on height and had major leakage problems when rain fell. We slathered the rooftop with black tar like stuff to try to stop leaks when storms hit and tried to drain water away. worked ok but not sustainable in the heat as everything on the roof got the morning and afternoon sun.
Because it is a stand alone add on there is no protection from the sun at any time and so it is like a bloody oven. I ran fans during the day and at night. The aircon was too big for the bedroom and was not very efficient.
In fact the heat in April was a mitigating factor for leaving as I had left the balcony door open for a breeze when I went to bed and woke up about 2.30 with a feeling of something not right. I checked my phone that was on the stand beside the bed but alas it was not charging there. I thought I must have left it in the lounge room charging by the laptop but , no not there. I then noticed the front door open and ran there. I heard footsteps on the roof next door so just locked the door. , Put some clothes on, and checked to see that nothing other than a fake $20 note I had near the laptop was missing. (the laptop was locked to the wall)

I was a regular at the Golden Vine around the corner and deputised as manager when Lan went away. That was why I lived there.
I had been robbed by three scruffy ladyboys with a knife outside the block 8 months before so this was time to go find a less hazardous place to camp.
I decided that if they can get up to the forth floor with nothing to hold onto I needed to live somewhere else . Three days later I moved.
I don't know this bloke but do know the place.
So the apartment was already refurbished in 2016?
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I think this was only recently refurbished.

These are shots from today. Note the filled i window in the bedroom. Lots of leaks there. Severe storms would leak through the walls throughout. Note also the exposed sides for morning and arvo sun making it an oven.

ImageImage
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Looks like the roof was added to stop leaks but makes it worse because the sun doesn’t dry it out.
The water will always find a way in.
People of the world, spice up your life.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Arget wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:13 pm Note also the exposed sides for morning and arvo sun making it an oven.
Those shaded penthouse/rooftop rooms are amongst the nicest places to stay in Phnom Penh, imo, but you need a decent sized total floor space, a huge awning and a relatively small room area - that also gives you the big breezy outside area as well.
Same effect in the rainy season (ps, when they are especially good if you don't like stifling heat, aircon and claustrophobia)

This parasol over a exposed box ^^ just won't cut it.
You would have to live exactly the opposite of what was intended - windows tinted, curtains drawn, doors closed and aircon running at double natural speed. Locked away instead of a cool breezy easy open style living.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Arget wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:13 pm I think this was only recently refurbished.

These are shots from today. Note the filled i window in the bedroom
could be an illegal floor
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

He bought it and how does he own it as a foreigner?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Strawberryshake wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:56 pm He bought it and how does he own it as a foreigner?
Most likely through a land holding company.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Strawberryshake wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:56 pm He bought it and how does he own it as a foreigner?
Should be able to own it as a foreigner as it's not on the ground floor.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Cooldude wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:38 pm
Should be able to own it as a foreigner as it's not on the ground floor.
I was under the impression foreigners can't own such townhouses but some use the 'nominee' workaround AFAIK.

I understood foreigners can only buy-in under their own name in certain condo buildings built after a certain year and up to a certain % of the building as long as it isn't ground floor.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Cambodia's population is too small to be "Asia's Top Frontier Market". Next.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic