Khmer logic

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Khmer logic

Post by xandreu »

cambo swa wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:43 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:01 am There is no Khmer logic.

It’s just the way it is done in Cambodia.

Missus is between both worlds and has become more vocal about all the concerns that are voiced on CEO. In Cambodia she’s just quiet, because that’s the way it is. Plus can’t publicly look down on Cambodian culture.

I think that driving is part education, part enforcement.

That being said, many locals drive without a license. Some have moto licenses and drive cars. Other don’t have a moto license and drive motos. So no education.

On the other hand, the cops don’t routinely stop and check. Why would a local cop put his life on the line to stop a crazy driver? They don’t pay enough kickbacks to risk their lives. So no enforcement.

So lots of people have no idea how to drive, and no one to tell them that driving that way is wrong.

A perfect storm.
Driving like an idiot and putting other people's lives at risk is "culture"?
When you don't know any better and just imitate the behaviour of those around you, apparently so....

Culture is an umbrella term which encompasses the social behavior and norms found in human societies, as well as the knowledge, beliefs, arts, laws, customs, capabilities, and habits of the individuals in these groups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

xandreu wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:51 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:27 pm
Freightdog wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:16 pm Ok.
Back to one of Khmer (but maybe just local) logic.

Cash is everything here. You can’t hail a tuk-tuk and pay with plastic.
At open of business, small shops, tuk-tuks, coffee shops. No one is able to give change on even a 10000r note. No have…

In my stash of filthy luoy, I would normally have 10000 or 20000r in small notes- 500, 1000, 5000. Enough to get a tuk-tuk or be able to rustle up enough for a coffee. But SWMBO will use all the small change early, and then we’re left trying to find small money to pay for a tuk-tuk.

These small things sometimes feel like the old conundrum- immovable object and irresistible force.
True that no one is able to give change for 10000r notes but cash being king is not really true anymore (in cities that is). Already for few years you have been able to pay pretty much every where with mobile here. At your next door mom'n'pops store and even many of the tuktuks and of course if you take count all the hailing apps, then almost 100% of tukstuks are cashless. Developing countries like Cambodia jumped over the "plastic era" totally and already ahead of the western world with mobile payments.
True. My ABA debit card inexplicitly stopped working some weeks ago. Not sure what's wrong with it. ATM's just spit it back out at me, shops can't get it to work in their machines and it even started getting rejected as payment on Grab. It's not expired. It seems to have been cancelled by someone for some reason but I don't really see the point in going to get a new one when almost everyone has those QR codes and on the odd times I need physical cash, I can just use the E-Cash service. Being cardless for several weeks now hasn't really caused me any bother so far.
Could you report someone else's card lost/stolen, and request a new one to "this temporary" address, or even the same address, or pick up (whatever) and receive a new one ready for its brand new password?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

I've been stuck at home for a while.

Khmer logic or at least default thinking:

"He'll need food", which has been unfailingly delivered to my door without a word or any expectation of repayment by various neighbours.

I'm not sure that would have happened 'in the west'.
Rough with the smooth. Plenty of superior thinking here, as the OP mentioned in the first post :thumb:
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

My wife recently got her driver's license, and she was pressured throughout the process to pay a bribe to get it before she had finished her training. So, you might say there is logic in corruption, but in the end it is a very self-serving logic. To be honest, I'm not at all sure of the veracity of Anchor's statement about "logical" reasons for bad driving here. They are understandable to the observer situationally, but that doesn't equivalate to them originating from a place of logic in the perpetrators of traffic crimes.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Something that has changed a lot but that used to amuse me here is, or was, the complete lack of logical ordering when serving food items.
For instance you would order a meal with fruit shake and water. You would first receive the hot meal with nothing to drink, then the fruit shake some time later, and finally the water once you're already finished eating. Of course you don't speak a word of Khmer so not much to do but to roll with it lol.

I liked it though, people just hacking it and no stress whatsoever :)
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:40 pm The point is that some members have used this topic as an opportunity to stick the boot in and disparage khmers. And once started by one a few more pile in.. Effectively derailing the gist of the topic with a negative tone.

There is no need for this on the forum if it's pervasive imo. Obviously there are joys and frustrations in living here but when I see members who continually come in with disparaging comments that belittle khmers, I'll step in.

I wonder too whether those that do this refuse to acknowledge and accept that things are done differently here. Why the need to compare with or expect the standards/practices to be the same as our home countries? It is what it is. You either live with it, accept and adjust to it or you moan about it..and be bitter.

That's what makes living here different right? I mean if I want everything nice, orderly and clean with lots of rules, I might as well have stayed in my boring home country right? Glass half full not half empty..
I don't think we need to go all Pollyanna and say everything is wonderful in the wonderful place. I agree we should not be too insulting to our hosts, but it is in the nature of humans to voice opinions about matters that irritate them, and this is a forum for that. Yes it would be sooo nice if we all thought the same, if we all accepted others failings without a murmur, and were all virtual saints. But we are not. We are people who moan, bear grudges, and do not tolerate foolishness very well. On the positive side the beer is cheap.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

reggie perrin's dad wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:13 am I've been stuck at home for a while.

Khmer logic or at least default thinking:

"He'll need food", which has been unfailingly delivered to my door without a word or any expectation of repayment by various neighbours.

I'm not sure that would have happened 'in the west'.
Rough with the smooth. Plenty of superior thinking here, as the OP mentioned in the first post :thumb:
Indeed.
I think back to the 70s in the UK- unbolted doors, a knock on the door, a neighbour popping by to check all’s well, a pot of some sustenance if needed. It seems to have Fizzled out somewhat.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Khmer Logic In Action

This morning we heard what sounded like a Kango breaker at work downstairs in the groundlfloor house. Didn't think too much of it at first and then saw they were digging a trench outside that leads to a wastewater drain cover. They hit a small water pipe but it doesn't feed our house so we just smiled at the situation. Then on closer inspection I realised they were digging a trench from their bathroom to the drain. Now our waste water from our bathroom connects to this pipe.

And it is at this point you and I are on the same page.
Yes... if our pipe connects to the one they are uncovering for an unknown reason... probably a leak given the look of the soil they are removing to expose the pipe... our waste water will flow into it. And you are probably thinking of all the possible scenarios where this could lead to if we have a shower for example.

And now we see K.L.I.A
There was no warning. Nothing. Not a word about not flushing or taking a shower. We don't even know if the kitchen sink goes to the same pipe but my guess is it does.
Why? What were their thoughts as they decided to dig up the pipe? did they not see the implications of not telling us? My mind is seriously stuck at "WTF were they thinking?"

So while you all sit there making excuses for "cultural" differences and the like let me tell you this ... just you wait till their lack of cognitive ability affects you.
Since no one has bothered to let us know what they're doing I'm going for a shower in about an hour when they start the repair. We have a load of laundry to do as well and we'll use the extra rinse cycle today for good measure.

Lessons need to be learnt!
- Think! We're about to expose and repair a shared waste water pipe.
- A pipe that connects to 2 homes above us means those homes are affected.
- Let's make sure those 2 houses know what we're doing and not to let any water go down the drain.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

IraHayes wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:26 am Khmer Logic In Action

This morning we heard what sounded like a Kango breaker at work downstairs in the groundlfloor house. Didn't think too much of it at first and then saw they were digging a trench outside that leads to a wastewater drain cover. They hit a small water pipe but it doesn't feed our house so we just smiled at the situation. Then on closer inspection I realised they were digging a trench from their bathroom to the drain. Now our waste water from our bathroom connects to this pipe.

Yes... if our pipe connects to the one they are uncovering for an unknown reason... probably a leak given the look of the soil they are removing to expose the pipe... our waste water will flow into it. And you are probably thinking of all the possible scenarios where this could lead to if we have a shower for example.

And now we see K.L.I.A
There was no warning. Nothing. Not a word about not flushing or taking a shower. We don't even know if the kitchen sink goes to the same pipe but my guess is it does.
Why? What were their thoughts as they decided to dig up the pipe? did they not see the implications of not telling us? My mind is seriously stuck at "WTF were they thinking?"

So while you all sit there making excuses for "cultural" differences and the like let me tell you this ... just you wait till their lack of cognitive ability affects you.
Since no one has bothered to let us know what they're doing I'm going for a shower in about an hour when they start the repair. We have a load of laundry to do as well and we'll use the extra rinse cycle today for good measure.

- Let's make sure those 2 houses know what we're doing and not to let any water go down the drain.
I got one, not as good as yours, but worth a mention.

I live on floor 3 of a 3 story shophouse. I can see down to the floor on the second floor as there is just a staircase and landing for access on my floor.

The roof developed a big hole (pretty sure someone has been up to no good on the roof). The hole was about 1 metre diameter, directly above the open area. When it rained it went directly down onto the floor of the second floor. It's hasn't been raining much, but when it did it made a right mess down there directly outside two apartments. The keep piles of crap outside and generally don't care about the outside, so if it is wet it is less of a fire hazard.

I was completely unaffected by this and I was wondering just how long it would take before someone did something about it (and if they tried to tap me up for some contribution towards the cost). I waited and waited and waited.

They, the second floor occupiers, did nothing for at least 2 weeks. They seemed happy to put up with the occasional mess rather than fix the problem.

Then it dawned on me. The floor below them is two apartments knocked into one and owned by a foreigner. His ceiling is directly below the now rain-exposed second floor. And they know that.

Did they tell him? No, they didn't. I found him and told him. He was mighty grateful too as he saw the inevitability of water damage in his home in the next few weeks. He had the roof repaired with 24 hours and didn't ask anyone for a penny.

Either the occupiers of the second floor were happy to have flooding outside their door front door from time to time, or they knew that the rich foreigner downstairs would pay for it when he finally figured out why his ceilings were going brown and falling in.

But they didn't tell him. Why? Couldn't they see what was going to happen next, or did they just want to hide behind their doors in case someone asked them for a contribution?

Or are they just stupid? :D
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Doc67 wrote:
IraHayes wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:26 am Khmer Logic In Action

And now we see K.L.I.A

I got one, not as good as yours, but worth a mention.

I live on floor 3 of a 3 story shophouse. I can see down to the floor on the second floor as there is just a staircase and landing for access on my floor.

The roof developed a big hole (pretty sure someone has been up to no good on the roof). The hole was about 1 metre diameter, directly above the open area. When it rained it went directly down onto the floor of the second floor. It's hasn't been raining much, but when it did it made a right mess down there directly outside two apartments. The keep piles of crap outside and generally don't care about the outside, so if it is wet it is less of a fire hazard.

I was completely unaffected by this and I was wondering just how long it would take before someone did something about it (and if they tried to tap me up for some contribution towards the cost). I waited and waited and waited.

They, the second floor occupiers, did nothing for at least 2 weeks. They seemed happy to put up with the occasional mess rather than fix the problem.

Then it dawned on me. The floor below them is two apartments knocked into one and owned by a foreigner. His ceiling is directly below the now rain-exposed second floor. And they know that.

Did they tell him? No, they didn't. I found him and told him. He was mighty grateful too as he saw the inevitability of water damage in his home in the next few weeks. He had the roof repaired with 24 hours and didn't ask anyone for a penny.

Either the occupiers of the second floor were happy to have flooding outside their door front door from time to time, or they knew that the rich foreigner downstairs would pay for it when he finally figured out why his ceilings were going brown and falling in.

But they didn't tell him. Why? Couldn't they see what was going to happen next, or did they just want to hide behind their doors in case someone asked them for a contribution?

Or are they just stupid? :D
I honestly doubt they contemplated on it for over 30 seconds.

Oh water, Image, not my problem, move along....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic