Khmer logic

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Khmer logic

Post by Grand Barong »

FrankReynolds wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:08 pm Edited as I forgot to quote the clutch man. See below.
Shame you cant be edited out for a week or so...Do you good I reckon.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Grand Barong wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:57 pm
lagrange wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:17 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:53 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:37 am God - what a stupid idea. At least Buddhist Khmers are not burdened by that dead weight.
But apparently it is the guiding light for some nations and their leaders.

I know - you couldn't make this up. Nuts hey?

:stir:
Next up in the hexagon we have mass psychosis vs fuzzy logics, place your bets now it's going to get messy 🙈
You can argue all the cultural differences you like, but when you are living with and dealing with poorly educated, low IQ peasant classes all these behaviours are to be expected. Lack of planning, inability for self-reflection, no foresight, no ability to learn from mistakes, no consideration for others. We deal with a bottom -of -the -barrel gene pool that was all that the KR left behind. But like with the Social Media (and like this comment), life is easier if you just learn to shake your head and move on.
Pretty Shit post mate.. Don't know how the mods have let you get away with this Garbage? You got friends in high places on here?
members been banned for less.. ffs. even equating peasant class to a low IQ?
I agree..pathetic post, albeit I did quote it earlier.

He can have a week off.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I remember going to a motorcycle parts place and buying a endcan for a moto, he had a pair of rear-sets and shocks I wanted to buy, but at the time I didn't have the cash on me. We aranged that I would return the following day to buy the parts.
The following day arrived, I took the same parts from the shelves and waited at the desk to make payment. The shopkeeper said "No, I not sell you today", but "you can come tomorrow and try to buy".
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:51 pm If we are going to discuss the driving in Cambodia, I'd like to point out that not so long ago (like in my living memory), the main means of transport was motorbike, there were few cars, and much fewer trucks. A lot of roads were unpaved and full of potholes (admittedly, that hasn't changed much), so driving all over the road to avoid obstacles made a lot of sense. Anyone who has been to countries with shit roads, like Kenya (for example) will have seen this driving style.
Together with the shitty roads in Cambodia, there is also a lot more traffic, and a lot more cars that can drive faster than road conditions allow.

I'm not saying that Cambodian drivers are not dangerous, and even positively reckless. But there are some logical reasons for this - like lack of instruction for drivers, the very sharp increase in the amount of traffic on the roads, the state of the roads, and also the dangerous condition of many vehicles on the road, as well as overloading (esp trucks.)

Ok, that wasn't very light-hearted. :facepalm:
Yes, and whilst it might look like chaos at times to some barangs, I similarly think there is a 'method in the madness' (metaphorically speaking) to keep the traffic flow under the conditions you mention.

When I first started riding my moto here, I found myself in more difficult situations in the beginning as I applied my 'western road rules' thinking. That, with hindsight, is potentially dangerous. I found that once I did like the locals do, there was less drama. Why? Coz then they can anticipate what you will do. Of course I don't mean reckless activity but yeah I go with the flow these days and much less stressed.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:09 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:51 pm If we are going to discuss the driving in Cambodia, I'd like to point out that not so long ago (like in my living memory), the main means of transport was motorbike, there were few cars, and much fewer trucks. A lot of roads were unpaved and full of potholes (admittedly, that hasn't changed much), so driving all over the road to avoid obstacles made a lot of sense. Anyone who has been to countries with shit roads, like Kenya (for example) will have seen this driving style.
Together with the shitty roads in Cambodia, there is also a lot more traffic, and a lot more cars that can drive faster than road conditions allow.

I'm not saying that Cambodian drivers are not dangerous, and even positively reckless. But there are some logical reasons for this - like lack of instruction for drivers, the very sharp increase in the amount of traffic on the roads, the state of the roads, and also the dangerous condition of many vehicles on the road, as well as overloading (esp trucks.)

Yes, and whilst it might look like chaos at times to some barangs, I similarly think there is a 'method in the madness' (metaphorically speaking) to keep the traffic flow under the conditions you mention.

When I first started riding my moto here, I found myself in more difficult situations in the beginning as I applied my 'western road rules' thinking. That, with hindsight, is potentially dangerous. I found that once I did like the locals do, there was less drama. Why? Coz then they can anticipate what you will do. Of course I don't mean reckless activity but yeah I go with the flow these days and much less stressed.
sorry 'ive got to call BS: you cant anticipate what a khmer will do, as most likely he/she has no idea>
all i do his hit my horn when i see a motorcyclist turn his head and look as it means... i might be turning, i might be stopping, i might be merging, i might be making a u turn in front of you , if i think i can get away with it, I have no idea what i am going to do, but checking to see whats behind me

I've driving all over the world on motorcycles, cars & bicycles and most of that time was in SE Asia and got to say the Khmer are the worst
in the west, one might say he/she drives like a little old lady, here its the men that drive either to slow or hauling ass>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:51 pm

sorry 'ive got to call BS: you cant anticipate what a khmer will do, as most likely he/she has no idea>
all i do his hit my horn when i see a motorcyclist turn his head and look as it means... i might be turning, i might be stopping, i might be merging, i might be making a u turn in front of you , if i think i can get away with it, I have no idea what i am going to do, but checking to see whats behind me

I've driving all over the world on motorcycles, cars & bicycles and most of that time was in SE Asia and got to say the Khmer are the worst
in the west, one might say he/she drives like a little old lady, here its the men that drive either to slow or hauling ass>
Sure, I've come across that situation a lot in PP where you don't know what a guy in front of you is going to do next..as you say, if he's looking right and left and/or slowing down as if he's lost..I stay clear of them. Part of being aware what's around you here.

Of course I'm generalising when I said it's better to go with the flow and ride like they do but I do believe that being hesitant/indecisive or erratic in your moto riding can be more risky imo.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:51 pm

Agreed. These drivers are brain dead. I drove in Indonesia for years, also Turkey, nothing compares to this lot. Indeed, they themselves haven't a fucking clue what they'll do, stop, turn, whatever. And little regard for others' lives or indeed their own families. Completely brain dead.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

There is no Khmer logic.

It’s just the way it is done in Cambodia.

Missus is between both worlds and has become more vocal about all the concerns that are voiced on CEO. In Cambodia she’s just quiet, because that’s the way it is. Plus can’t publicly look down on Cambodian culture.

I think that driving is part education, part enforcement.

That being said, many locals drive without a license. Some have moto licenses and drive cars. Other don’t have a moto license and drive motos. So no education.

On the other hand, the cops don’t routinely stop and check. Why would a local cop put his life on the line to stop a crazy driver? They don’t pay enough kickbacks to risk their lives. So no enforcement.

So lots of people have no idea how to drive, and no one to tell them that driving that way is wrong.

A perfect storm.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I don’t know. I think a month or so as a passenger, and driver in India and Bangladesh might reset some expectations. Unless they’ve changed in the last decade or so, I think Cambodia will be an improvement, if for no other reason than traffic density, and the lower population of selfish fuckwits.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:01 am There is no Khmer logic.

It’s just the way it is done in Cambodia.

Missus is between both worlds and has become more vocal about all the concerns that are voiced on CEO. In Cambodia she’s just quiet, because that’s the way it is. Plus can’t publicly look down on Cambodian culture.

I think that driving is part education, part enforcement.

That being said, many locals drive without a license. Some have moto licenses and drive cars. Other don’t have a moto license and drive motos. So no education.

On the other hand, the cops don’t routinely stop and check. Why would a local cop put his life on the line to stop a crazy driver? They don’t pay enough kickbacks to risk their lives. So no enforcement.

So lots of people have no idea how to drive, and no one to tell them that driving that way is wrong.

A perfect storm.
Driving like an idiot and putting other people's lives at risk is "culture"?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic