Khmer logic

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Khmer logic

Post by Freightdog »

Ok.
Back to one of Khmer (but maybe just local) logic.

Cash is everything here. You can’t hail a tuk-tuk and pay with plastic.
At open of business, small shops, tuk-tuks, coffee shops. No one is able to give change on even a 10000r note. No have…

In my stash of filthy luoy, I would normally have 10000 or 20000r in small notes- 500, 1000, 5000. Enough to get a tuk-tuk or be able to rustle up enough for a coffee. But SWMBO will use all the small change early, and then we’re left trying to find small money to pay for a tuk-tuk.

These small things sometimes feel like the old conundrum- immovable object and irresistible force.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:16 pm Ok.

At open of business, small shops, tuk-tuks, coffee shops. No one is able to give change on even a 10000r note. No have…

In my stash of filthy luoy, I would normally have 10000 or 20000r in small notes- 500, 1000, 5000. Enough to get a tuk-tuk or be able to rustle up enough for a coffee. But SWMBO will use all the small change early, and then we’re left trying to find small money to pay for a tuk-tuk.

These small things sometimes feel like the old conundrum- immovable object and irresistible force.
True that no one is able to give change for 10000r notes but cash being king is not really true anymore (in cities that is). Already for few years you have been able to pay pretty much every where with mobile here. At your next door mom'n'pops store and even many of the tuktuks and of course if you take count all the hailing apps, then almost 100% of tukstuks are cashless. Developing countries like Cambodia jumped over the "plastic era" totally and already ahead of the western world with mobile payments.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:27 pm
Freightdog wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:16 pm Ok.

True that no one is able to give change for 10000r notes but cash being king is not really true anymore (in cities that is). Already for few years you have been able to pay pretty much every where with mobile here. At your next door mom'n'pops store and even many of the tuktuks and of course if you take count all the hailing apps, then almost 100% of tukstuks are cashless. Developing countries like Cambodia jumped over the "plastic era" totally and already ahead of the western world with mobile payments.
True. My ABA debit card inexplicitly stopped working some weeks ago. Not sure what's wrong with it. ATM's just spit it back out at me, shops can't get it to work in their machines and it even started getting rejected as payment on Grab. It's not expired. It seems to have been cancelled by someone for some reason but I don't really see the point in going to get a new one when almost everyone has those QR codes and on the odd times I need physical cash, I can just use the E-Cash service. Being cardless for several weeks now hasn't really caused me any bother so far.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

clutchcargo wrote:
Next we'll be putting down khmers for their driving techniques...wait, that's been done already. :facepalm:
It's all been done already. Henceforth, we'd
better only ever start discussions about topics that have never made the forum before. Or else we keep shrugging and mumbling tired cliché like, 'kingdom or wonder' and 'if you don't like it, leave'.
ImageImageImage
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

FrankReynolds wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:03 pm
clutchcargo wrote:
Next we'll be putting down khmers for their driving techniques...wait, that's been done already. :facepalm:
better only ever start discussions about topics that have never made the forum before. Or else we keep shrugging and mumbling tired cliché like, 'kingdom or wonder' and 'if you don't like it, leave'.
ImageImageImage
No disparaging tone in your post here at all:
The lack of awareness while driving is noticeable. Whether it be a car overtaking into oncoming motos and forcing them into potholes and rough ground off the edge of a highway while doing 80+km/hr, or the "I'm gonna u turn wherever the f*ck I like" attitude, I wonder if khmers live very much in the here and now. In the exact moment. This is not to say they are spiritually aware like at some silent Buddhist retreat teaching hipsters how to meditate and be in the present, but in a way that shows they lack any kind of foresight or ability to pretict various possible outcomes from an action.
And I don't think it's done out of malice. I've been in taxis with really pleasant drivers that still behave like maniacs on the road without even knowing it.

An expat friend and I regularly make a noise/grunting sound that signifies khmer stupidity at its finest, and is most aptly applied when we either witness something utterly brainless, or when we are guilty of doing something particularly foolish.
This noise cannot be conveyed in any written language, but I guarantee any long term expats will know exactly how it sounds.
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

Edited as I forgot to quote the clutch man. See below.
Last edited by FrankReynolds on Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

clutchcargo wrote:
FrankReynolds wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:03 pm
clutchcargo wrote:
ImageImageImage
No disparaging tone in your post here at all:
The lack of awareness while driving is noticeable. Whether it be a car overtaking into oncoming motos and forcing them into potholes and rough ground off the edge of a highway while doing 80+km/hr, or the "I'm gonna u turn wherever the f*ck I like" attitude, I wonder if khmers live very much in the here and now. In the exact moment. This is not to say they are spiritually aware like at some silent Buddhist retreat teaching hipsters how to meditate and be in the present, but in a way that shows they lack any kind of foresight or ability to pretict various possible outcomes from an action.
And I don't think it's done out of malice. I've been in taxis with really pleasant drivers that still behave like maniacs on the road without even knowing it.

An expat friend and I regularly make a noise/grunting sound that signifies khmer stupidity at its finest, and is most aptly applied when we either witness something utterly brainless, or when we are guilty of doing something particularly foolish.
This noise cannot be conveyed in any written language, but I guarantee any long term expats will know exactly how it sounds.
I thought it to be a very accurate representation of the truth. Nothing at all related to the tongue in cheek request by the OP. Nope.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

The point is that some members have used this topic as an opportunity to stick the boot in and disparage khmers. And once started by one a few more pile in.. Effectively derailing the gist of the topic with a negative tone.

There is no need for this on the forum if it's pervasive imo. Obviously there are joys and frustrations in living here but when I see members who continually come in with disparaging comments that belittle khmers, I'll step in.

I wonder too whether those that do this refuse to acknowledge and accept that things are done differently here. Why the need to compare with or expect the standards/practices to be the same as our home countries? It is what it is. You either live with it, accept and adjust to it or you moan about it..and be bitter.

That's what makes living here different right? I mean if I want everything nice, orderly and clean with lots of rules, I might as well have stayed in my boring home country right? Glass half full not half empty..
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

If we are going to discuss the driving in Cambodia, I'd like to point out that not so long ago (like in my living memory), the main means of transport was motorbike, there were few cars, and much fewer trucks. A lot of roads were unpaved and full of potholes (admittedly, that hasn't changed much), so driving all over the road to avoid obstacles made a lot of sense. Anyone who has been to countries with shit roads, like Kenya (for example) will have seen this driving style.
Together with the shitty roads in Cambodia, there is also a lot more traffic, and a lot more cars that can drive faster than road conditions allow.

I'm not saying that Cambodian drivers are not dangerous, and even positively reckless. But there are some logical reasons for this - like lack of instruction for drivers, the very sharp increase in the amount of traffic on the roads, the state of the roads, and also the dangerous condition of many vehicles on the road, as well as overloading (esp trucks.)

Ok, that wasn't very light-hearted. :facepalm:
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

lagrange wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:17 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:53 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:37 am God - what a stupid idea. At least Buddhist Khmers are not burdened by that dead weight.
But apparently it is the guiding light for some nations and their leaders.

I know - you couldn't make this up. Nuts hey?

:stir:
Next up in the hexagon we have mass psychosis vs fuzzy logics, place your bets now it's going to get messy 🙈
You can argue all the cultural differences you like, but when you are living with and dealing with poorly educated, low IQ peasant classes all these behaviours are to be expected. Lack of planning, inability for self-reflection, no foresight, no ability to learn from mistakes, no consideration for others. We deal with a bottom -of -the -barrel gene pool that was all that the KR left behind. But like with the Social Media (and like this comment), life is easier if you just learn to shake your head and move on.
Pretty Shit post mate.. Don't know how the mods have let you get away with this Garbage? You got friends in high places on here?
members been banned for less.. ffs. even equating peasant class to a low IQ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic