Khmer logic

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Khmer logic

Post by IraHayes »

ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:58 am On the flip side, the expats that thrive here generally represents the very elite of their respective societies :whistler:
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

The lack of awareness while driving is noticeable. Whether it be a car overtaking into oncoming motos and forcing them into potholes and rough ground off the edge of a highway while doing 80+km/hr, or the "I'm gonna u turn wherever the f*ck I like" attitude, I wonder if khmers live very much in the here and now. In the exact moment. This is not to say they are spiritually aware like at some silent Buddhist retreat teaching hipsters how to meditate and be in the present, but in a way that shows they lack any kind of foresight or ability to pretict various possible outcomes from an action.
And I don't think it's done out of malice. I've been in taxis with really pleasant drivers that still behave like maniacs on the road without even knowing it.

An expat friend and I regularly make a noise/grunting sound that signifies khmer stupidity at its finest, and is most aptly applied when we either witness something utterly brainless, or when we are guilty of doing something particularly foolish.
This noise cannot be conveyed in any written language, but I guarantee any long term expats will know exactly how it sounds.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Little_Vicious wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:52 am
mannanman wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:32 am I’m beginning to think the KR had no influence on killing all the intelligence in the country. I think they’ve always been like this.
I mean, you could just leave. There are a ton of cultural differences, some more frustrating than others, but if you think that you are hanging out with the bottom-of-the-barrel, perhaps you should consider returning to whatever highly-educated place you came from.
Never said bottom-of-the-barrel. You’re misquoting me.

I was simply replying to the often quoted mantra that the KR “killed of all the intelligent people”.
I don’t think that’s true. They do things differently and not the way we (westerners) do.

And if you don’t like the subject matter then I suggest you move on cupcake.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

lagrange wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:17 am You can argue all the cultural differences you like, but when you are living with and dealing with poorly educated, low IQ peasant classes all these behaviours are to be expected. Lack of planning, inability for self-reflection, no foresight, no ability to learn from mistakes, no consideration for others. We deal with a bottom -of -the -barrel gene pool that was all that the KR left behind. But like with the Social Media (and like this comment), life is easier if you just learn to shake your head and move on.
mannanman wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:32 am I’m beginning to think the KR had no influence on killing all the intelligence in the country. I think they’ve always been like this.
Oh great! Let's turn this topic into a Khmer disparaging one. Reminds me of another member who was always looking down his nose at khmers..

And the KR did not wipe out intelligence, rather they killed those who were more educated and had jobs of higher standing. The latter don't necessarily have higher IQ..just opportunity for education.. there's a difference.

Next we'll be putting down khmers for their driving techniques...wait, that's been done already. :facepalm:
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Just for everyone's information - I didn't start this thread as a way of putting down or insulting our hosts. It was just intended as a tongue-in-cheek discussion about the times I'm sure we all encounter when things happen or people say or do things that don't really make sense to us as Westerner - tongue-in-cheek being the operative phrase there.

Let's try and keep it light-hearted eh?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:11 pm
lagrange wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:17 am You can argue all the cultural differences you like, but when you are living with and dealing with poorly educated, low IQ peasant classes all these behaviours are to be expected. Lack of planning, inability for self-reflection, no foresight, no ability to learn from mistakes, no consideration for others. We deal with a bottom -of -the -barrel gene pool that was all that the KR left behind. But like with the Social Media (and like this comment), life is easier if you just learn to shake your head and move on.
mannanman wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:32 am I’m beginning to think the KR had no influence on “killing all the intelligence in the country”. I think they’ve always been like this.
Oh great! Let's turn this topic into a Khmer disparaging one. Reminds me of another member who was always looking down his nose at khmers..

And the KR did not wipe out intelligence, rather they killed those who were more educated and had jobs of higher standing. The latter don't necessarily have higher IQ..just opportunity for education.. there's a difference.

Next we'll be putting down khmers for their driving techniques...wait, that's been done already. :facepalm:
FFS.
Ok. I’ve edited my post. Maybe I should have worded it differently but anyway I’ve added quotes.
I’ve never said anything bad about, and don’t look down on, Cambodian or Cambodia.

And for the record saying the “Khmer” people does not cover the whole population. “Cambodians” would be more accurate.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Aren't you saying therefore that khmers have always had no or little intelligence? That's how I read it.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:37 pm
Aren't you saying therefore that khmers have always had no or little intelligence? That's how I read it.
No I’m not.
I’m saying that intelligence has nothing to do with how they are, if you can use that term.
As I said I didn’t word it well. I’ve got a small child running around smashing stuff up so I type fast before I construct a sentence!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

xandreu wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:22 pm Just for everyone's information - I didn't start this thread as a way of putting down or insulting our hosts. It was just intended as a tongue-in-cheek discussion about the times I'm sure we all encounter when things happen or people say or do things that don't really make sense to us as Westerner - tongue-in-cheek being the operative phrase there.

Let's try and keep it light-hearted eh?
Well put OP. Let's move on with regard to that.. :thumb:
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Bar Management Logic

Ca$h flow flu$h: Friendly service. 50c/75c Happy Hours. $1.50 - $2 draft. $2 can. $3.50 - $4.00 Lady drink. Guest bills paid on day.
Pony(rides) up to a Bullseye: *nudge and a wink*

Cash flow flushed: Unhappy service for hours. $2. $2.50. $4 - $7.50. Guessed bills "fix ya up payday." Bullseye (equal odds of hitting) to a C-note (now you don't): misjudge and a wank. Respectfully.

Local logic: Less business so need to charge more to increase margins. Overlooked: Most are struggling. They're not Robinson Crusoe!
Result: "No one like business. Not show any business. No like no show business, I know... Footprints in the sand.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic