Khmer logic

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Khmer logic

Post by nemo »

Not socks, for skivvies I go commando.
Folding socks LOL.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

nemo wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:11 pm Not socks, for skivvies I go commando.
Folding socks LOL.
A most traumatic incident occurred recently.

SWMBO dressed Freight Jr in white socks with his sandals.
…and posted this on Facebook!
How do you explain to a Khmer woman who wears socks with a separate big toe, that socks and sandals for a guy are a fashion no no?

How do I prepare my son for the trauma to come, when it is recognised that such a faux pas not only occurred, but was absolutely intentional?
Folded and ironed undies are a mere trifle.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:40 pm
nemo wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:11 pm Not socks, for skivvies I go commando.
Folding socks LOL.
A most traumatic incident occurred recently.

SWMBO dressed Freight Jr in white socks with his sandals.
…and posted this on Facebook!
How do you explain to a Khmer woman who wears socks with a separate big toe, that socks and sandals for a guy are a fashion no no?

How do I prepare my son for the trauma to come, when it is recognised that such a faux pas not only occurred, but was absolutely intentional?
Folded and ironed undies are a mere trifle.
Socks and sandals are also mere trifles in the fashion stakes.
:santa: Santa hats and bunny ears are also popular - and not only for kids. :)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

God - what a stupid idea. At least Buddhist Khmers are not burdened by that dead weight.
But apparently it is the guiding light for some nations and their leaders.

I know - you couldn't make this up. Nuts hey?

:stir:
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:37 am God - what a stupid idea. At least Buddhist Khmers are not burdened by that dead weight.

Next up in the hexagon we have mass psychosis vs fuzzy logics, place your bets now it's going to get messy 🙈
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:53 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:37 am God - what a stupid idea. At least Buddhist Khmers are not burdened by that dead weight.

Next up in the hexagon we have mass psychosis vs fuzzy logics, place your bets now it's going to get messy 🙈
You can argue all the cultural differences you like, but when you are living with and dealing with poorly educated, low IQ peasant classes all these behaviours are to be expected. Lack of planning, inability for self-reflection, no foresight, no ability to learn from mistakes, no consideration for others. We deal with a bottom -of -the -barrel gene pool that was all that the KR left behind. But like with the Social Media (and like this comment), life is easier if you just learn to shake your head and move on.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I’m beginning to think the KR had no influence on killing all the intelligence in the country. I think they’ve always been like this.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Little_Vicious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Little_Vicious »

mannanman wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:32 am I’m beginning to think the KR had no influence on killing all the intelligence in the country. I think they’ve always been like this.
I mean, you could just leave. There are a ton of cultural differences, some more frustrating than others, but if you think that you are hanging out with the bottom-of-the-barrel, perhaps you should consider returning to whatever highly-educated place you came from.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

On the flip side, the expats that thrive here generally represents the very elite of their respective societies :whistler:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

lagrange wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:17 am You can argue all the cultural differences you like, but when you are living with and dealing with poorly educated, low IQ peasant classes all these behaviours are to be expected. Lack of planning, inability for self-reflection, no foresight, no ability to learn from mistakes, no consideration for others. We deal with a bottom -of -the -barrel gene pool that was all that the KR left behind. But like with the Social Media (and like this comment), life is easier if you just learn to shake your head and move on.
Of course we're all highly educated in Khmer language to get our message across, right?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic