Travel to Cambodia - Pre-Flight COVID-19 PCR Test Requirements

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Travel to Cambodia - Pre-Flight COVID-19 PCR Test Requirements

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Pre-Flight COVID-19 PCR Test Requirements:

It is a requirement for ALL travellers, including Cambodian Nationals, to have a negative COVID-19 PCR Test prior to travelling to Cambodia, the requirements are outlined in an official directive issued by the RGC, however individual experiences will differ depending on the airlines people travel with, the airlines check-in staff, and even the MoH officials on arrival, but at a minimum follow the below guidelines to avoid disappointment.

1. TIMING: Conduct your PCR Test no more than 72 hours prior to your initial international embarkation point.
Example: First international leg of your journey is at 1500hrs on Friday, so count back 72 hrs, the earliest you can conduct your test is 1500hrs on Tuesday.

*Note: The official directive states “Medical Certificate ISSUED no more than 72 hrs prior to departure”, however most lab reports/medical certificates indicate the time the test was conducted, and most airlines staff will count the 72 hrs from the time the test was conducted, therefore it is best to be on the safe side and conduct your test within that 72 hrs.

**Note: If you transit en-route, and pass-through immigration control into the transit country, then your departure from that country is considered your initial international embarkation point. If you transit airside without passing through Immigration, then nothing to worry about.

2. MEDICAL CERTIFICATE/LAB REPORT: Ensure that the Lab Report/ Medical Certificate meets the following requirements and includes the details mentioned:

• Original hard copy (not photocopy or electronic),
• Printed on Clinic/Testing Facilities/Physicians letterhead and includes name, address & contact details,
• Travelers Full Name, Date of Birth/Age and Passport Number (as per passport bio-page),
• Type of Test (MUST state PCR or RT-PCR),
• Date of Test (ideally time also, as people have faced issues with airlines when there has been no time of testing annotated),
• Test Result (MUST state Negative or Not detected)
• Wet ink signature & stamp of the clinic/testing facility/doctor

*Note: If unable to get the ink stamp from where you received your lab report, then either take the lab report to a GP/Clinic and ask them to confirm the report by producing a Medical Certificate...or, some people have had success with an “Original” stamp from a stationary store, although the latter option is not recommended & should only be used as a last resort, there are no guarantees this will be accepted by all parties checking your documents.

**Note: The official directive states “Medical Certificate”, although most lab reports meet the criteria, people have been denied boarding for not having a separate medical certificate accompanying the lab reports (ie. Air NZ from Auckland), ensure you double check the requirements in advance with the airlines you are flying with.

Examples of Medical Certificates/Lab Reports...

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Travel to Cambodia - Pre-Flight COVID-19 PCR Test Requirements

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

UPDATE: The Ministry of Health issued a Directive and SOP on 19th October 2021 which states all Passengers must have the PCR test conducted no more than 72 hours before ARRIVAL into Cambodia.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:22 pm UPDATE: The Ministry of Health issued a Directive and SOP on 19th October 2021 which states all Passengers must have the PCR test conducted no more than 72 hours before ARRIVAL into Cambodia.
I seem to remember those were the conditions last year, and that made even my trip from London too tight if it was strictly enforced

I had my test on at 9.30am Tuesday morning, results back Wednesday afternoon and get the certificate, and fly the next day in the evening, arriving Phnom Penh on Friday night. The certificate was within 72 hours of arrival but the test date and time was not. It was one of the many worries I had when I made the journey in July 2020. Admittedly private PCR tests were hard to find then, expensive and slow with a minimum of 24 hours turnaround.

Since then it was changed to time of departure so why this retrograde step? What harm are they trying to avoid?

And doesn't this sod up anyone travelling from north America and crossing the international dateline? Do the guys at the airport know about that phenomena?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:53 pm I seem to remember those were the conditions last year, and that made even my trip from London too tight if it was strictly enforced
The official Cambodian requirement up until this new directive has always been "no more than 72 hrs prior to DEPARTURE", the problem was many airlines had somehow misinterpreted it as "within ARRIVAL", which caused many travellers to be denied check-in/transfer. I had an issue with Emirates in July last year when Dubai finally opened up it's airspace, but I had all of the official Translations printed out and the MoFAIC Website bookmarked to show them, they finally contacted Cambodian Immigration & confirmed that it was indeed "no more than 72 hrs prior to Departure", not "arrival".

Why the change now? Fuck knows :unknown: Was hoping maybe it was an error, but have not been able to get any clarification. Airlines are now starting to enforce the "within Arrival" policy, which is going to make it very difficult for some travellers.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:53 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:22 pm UPDATE: The Ministry of Health issued a Directive and SOP on 19th October 2021 which states all Passengers must have the PCR test conducted no more than 72 hours before ARRIVAL into Cambodia.
I seem to remember those were the conditions last year, and that made even my trip from London too tight if it was strictly enforced

And doesn't this sod up anyone travelling from north America and crossing the international dateline? Do the guys at the airport know about that phenomena?
This ruins any travel plans to Cambodia for me. I need to travel at least 10 hours just to get to LHR or AMS. So for anyone not close to a major international airport this is a major problem.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Not forgetting that many airports now have on-site PCR testing, with results within 3 hours.

I know for certain-
Oslo

possible/maybe
Amsterdam
Brussels
Heathrow

plus-
Singapore have some deals with certain points of departure, I believe, which are geared up to work with the schedule.

Generally, for the UK, most high street outfits such as Boots will generally have the results within 24hrs. 17hrs of travel- LHR to PNH. 3 hrs check in. It's getting tight, but for the organised traveller with obligations, its not insurmountable.

It does make something of a mockery the efforts to open up tourism, and reduce quarantines, when new hurdles will put many off.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Definitely gonna be tight for me, no express PCR testing available where I am, and due to the long routes and transits will be cutting it very fine, doable, just.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:21 pm Definitely gonna be tight for me, no express PCR testing available where I am, and due to the long routes and transits will be cutting it very fine, doable, just.
Especially if flying from the U.S.--- NYC.. i am already 12 hours behind PP...
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

Much too tight and too much worry and hassle for me from the UK. I will wait until they come up with some sane testing arrangements
Be your own toy.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Haha. This is Cambodia we are talking about. You could be waiting a looooong time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic