quarantine at Phnom Penh Hotel

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

quarantine at Phnom Penh Hotel

Post by BklynBoy »

-- if post needs to be moved, go for it. I wasn't sure where to place it

I just arrived this evening in quarantine at the Phnom Penh Hotel. They seemed to be pretty quick -- From entry into the hotel to getting a room within 1 hour.

The only other reason why is that i was on the first bus coming into the hotel but unsure. There were approx 17 people on my bus but then another bus pulled up after we already were upstairs.

They ushered us into some room which was taking people 2 or 3 at a time. Give your blue slip along w/ filling out another form for the hotel. I arrived in my room approx 830pm. I tried to order food but they said it was closed. Like an hour or so later someone came by and dropped off food.
In the room they give a list of what they serve for Lunch and dinner. They also just list "Breakfast".. but no info.

I am unsure if the food is mandatory or can opt out. Does anyone know about the rules in this location? I will ask tomorrow morning. Any other questions, ask away.

On a negative note- I didn't realize the covid test requirement for entry - Delta airlines told me I couldn't board for my flight because my TEST DATE fell out of range of 72 hours. I was telling them that even on the embassy website its TEST RESULT DATE. Futile to argue w/ airport employees.

Just an expensive mistake on my part. It seems that even the Test itself should be within 72 hours. Simply having the Test Result within 72 hours will or might not work.

Any questions on the hotel I am in, let me know. The food was decent. Some kind of beef stew and braised pork.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.
I hope I can opt out of the meals
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: quarantine at Phnom Penh Hotel

Post by Freightdog »

It’s unfortunate, but in the early days of PCR testing for travel, a great many testing providers in Europe included in their fine print (not really obvious until you read every single bloody line, as ever). That they couldn’t guarantee having the results within the 72hrs time required for travel.
In most cases (that we experienced) it seems this was down to the courier service, and not the lab. The negative effect being that you might turn up to check in, having still not received the results. The further complication, fortunately short lived, was when it was interpreted as 72hrs of arrival, rather than departure.

The PCR test can actually be done well within the hour, given the resources, as several airports have already managed.

Thinking rationally about this, (I’m not criticising) it does of course matter that the 72hrs is relative to the sample being taken. It’s not so much the 72hrs, but the reasonableness of being able to get a test sample taken, and having the results delivered. Otherwise, they’d drop air travel down to unsustainable numbers, and we might as well all stay at home.
Unless the rules are set so that you have a test just prior to check in, which in itself would be a logistical nightmare to get sufficient passenger throughput, though some airports are equipped to be able to do so, there simply must be a balance between the likelihood of you being tested negative, getting the results, and then going out and getting infected. I’m fairly sure this is happening- else, how do they explain people having a negative result when they check in, but manage to test positive on arrival?
If all that makes sense?

And this is where the courier bit comes in-
An example based on a testing company that I used a while back.
If you have your test prior to 12:00 noon, the results will be ready within 24hrs. If you have your test after 12:00 noon, the results would be with you within 48hrs.
The samples taken were being stored until the next once daily pickup, for the then 100mile journey to their partner laboratory, which is also receding batches from other test centres. So, if you had your test at 12:05, your sample might have been hanging around for a while.

It largely came down to a logistics issue. Available couriers, available approved laboratories, with a good dash of money raking. My first PCR test for travel was £300.
Move on 8 months, and the cost of testing has dropped by nigh on 70%, and the processing time including transport gets results generally within 30hrs of the sample being taken, and the shortest non-rush for me was 3 hours.

Ps. Welcome back
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

Some people have successfully provided financial encouragement to the staff of some hotels to get outside food and drinks brought in. It is definitely worth a shot. If you are stuck in a room for two weeks...you could at least eat, and drink well.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

I was able to order out after 5 days of barely eating and complaining.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Welcome back @BklynBoy, as discussed via PM and for the benefit of other travellers I created a thread about pre-flight PCR testing here
the-road/travel-cambodia-pre-flight-cov ... 45863.html

Here are a few reports from guests who have been quarantined at the Phnom Penh hotel which may give you some insight, appears you can opt of the $30 p/d MoH meal plan at least...
Hotel/Date: Phnom Penh Hotel/arrived 06/12
Period Quarantined: 14 days
Room Rate: $65/day
Meals: $10/meal
Meals Optional: yes
Facilities: can walk around the corridor, although I haven’t done this yet
Deliveries: yes, but this was before the ministry of health banned them. Called asking for a yoga mat from the gym and they said no but I can get someone to buy it and deliver, so am trying to receive that today. Will comment if it was allowed through.
Additional Charges: laundry $15 per day (if required), drinks additional (small water bottles provided)
Wifi: unlike above, wifi was fine, sometimes a bit weak but overall sufficient
Comments: windows not open like above, called to ask if we can open them but they said no. Although you can walk around in corridor, it smells very intensely of smoke. They also clean the rooms.
Children (if applicable):
Star Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️
Hotel: Phnom Penh Hotel
Period Quarantined: since 22/02
Room Rate: 65 USD
Meals: 10 USD x 3 meals. Decent to okayish, both Eastern and Western style. Vegetarian limited, but available, lots of fried noodles. Further options on request, e.g. tofu sweet and sour. Usually accompanied by fresh fruit. Cake on weekends.
Meals Optional: Yes
Facilities: Kettle, mini-fridge, rain shower with hot water, bathtub, hair-dryer, locker, air conditioning, television with Khmer and international channels. Cleaning with fresh sheets and towels every 3-4 days and on request. Walking the halls apparently tolerated. Gym and pool closed.
Deliveries: None, as far as I know.
Additional Charges: Beer 2-3 USD, SIM card 7 USD cash, laundry 15 USD.
Wifi: Provided. Sometimes quite slow during the day. A lot better in the evenings.
Comments: Room rather clean, 30sqm, not extremely bright. Staff very nice and accommodating. Reception not always available by phone. No temperature checks. Drinking water minimum two liters per day, more upon request. Coffee good, but only two packages every 3-4 days.
Star Rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
Hotel/Date: Phnom Penh Hotel 26 March -- 09 April
Period Quarantined: 14 nights
Room Rate: $120 for a "suite"
Meals: $10/boxed meal (not included in above price). The food is edible. Rice at every lunch and dinner with a protein (mostly beef, seafood and some fried chicken). Breakfast varied between fried noodles with shrimp pot stickers and beans with hot dog and chicken salad sandwich. The food was always cold by the time it arrived.
Facilities: confined to room.
Deliveries: allowed. I only used delivery services. It took an average of 35 minutes for the hotel staff to bring our deliveries... so cold french fries.
Wifi: Internet - provided. Sufficient speed in down times, bogged down at peak times.
Comments: small fridge (18in x 12in x 12in); good in-ceiling A/C; a 1 liter hot water pot; consistent supply of bottled water (supposedly at no cost); NO microwave; NO hot water in bathroom
Children: 2 toddlers. No additional charges besides the food they eat. (I will update once the final amount is given)
Star Rating: If I was reviewing on Google...2.5/5. Based on the experiences of others in this thread...4/5
I would highly recommend that you bring some food items with you. The cheddar cheese, summer sausage, salami, packaged tuna, peanut butter, and crackers we brought with us helped supplement the meals.
Hotel /date ; phnom pehn hotel , arrived march 25 .
Room rate : since i know i dont have a choice but to pay i decided not to ask how muchvthey were riping me off.
Meals : only 1 in 4 edible , mostly bland unseasonned ,overcoocked rice ,with either khmer dishes that smelled like they were cooked two weeks ago, and i m guessing an american approximation of food with dried fried chicken or overcoocked meat .i asked for a plate that i could keep and clean myself so as to not eat in a smelly plastic box and they said no .
Meals optional but no alternative
Facilities: fridge and kettle.a tv , air con is stuck on polar and is noisy as hell , i asked for a fan , they said no .
Rooms are nothing spécial, exept for the lack of sound proofing which allowed to enjoy the work done on one side with drilling and banging , my neighbour passion for martial arts vidéos and the guard talkie bleeping and static all night and day .apparently allowed in the hall which is kinda counterproductive since the floor isnt single flight or even single arrival date .....
No deliveries. Choice of soft drink pretty limited .
Staff was rude tried to scam me on tp 2 dol a roll until.i called réception , took 5 days to make them understand i was allergic to shellfish ,until i gave and went for végétarian option .
Spoty wifi .
Rating : 2/5 for the matress and the shower ,only two good things
Hotel/Date: Phnom Penh Hotel, May 22 to June 6
Period Quarantined: 15 Nights
Room Rate: 65$/Night, I was alone
Meals: Charged additionally, 10$ each
Meals Optional: Yes, Firstly I opted only for 1 meal a day and then quickly gave up the meal subscription. Poor quality dishes, mixing fish and meat (🙄) alongside white steamed rice.
Facilities: Confined to room, could walk down the hallway but pretty pointless.
Deliveries: Officially only dry food is allowed in delivery (cup noodle etc.) but they are not very regarding on what your order usually 🙃
Additional Charges: Like mentioned, you will have security charges and doctor charges, around 40$ and 90$ respectively as far as I remember
Wi-Fi: Very decent Wi-Fi, up to 4mb/s which was enough for my usage
Comments: Fridge, kettle, TV with international channels, ac fan pretty well furnished room. 4x 500ml water every day, Full cleaning every three days (with no extra charges) with replacement of towels, sheets etc, and they bring along tea coffee and sugar.
580$ Back
Star Rating: 4/5, mainly because of the deliveries but also for the cleaning and the very comfortable room. One star is missing because :
- You couldn't fully open the windows only about 1/4 of its width
- On the 14thday, they announced a backlog from the ministry of health, fair enough. The next day they said we will be charged for a half night (65$/2) if we stay after 5pm. The results were announced at 5:15 🙃. I don't know if it was made on purpose but suspicious enough to mention it.
- Very poor sound isolation, could hear your neighbor's conversation and TV 🙃
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

With reviews like that and all the bars closed for the foreseeable future, do you think you should of gone to Cancun instead? @@BklynBoy

$290 NYC/CUN return. No pre flight tests, no tests on arrival, no nothing. Just fill in a form online and hit the beach bars in under two hours from touch down.

You must be bonkers mate... :D
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:38 am Welcome back @BklynBoy, as discussed via PM and for the benefit of other travellers I created a thread about pre-flight PCR testing here

Here are a few reports from guests who have been quarantined at the Phnom Penh hotel which may give you some insight, appears you can opt of the $30 p/d MoH meal plan at least...
Deliveries: yes, but this was before the ministry of health banned them. Called asking for a yoga mat from the gym and they said no but I can get someone to buy it and deliver, so am trying to receive that today. Will comment if it was allowed through.
Additional Charges: laundry $15 per day (if required), drinks additional (small water bottles provided)
Comments: windows not open like above, called to ask if we can open them but they said no. Although you can walk around in corridor, it smells very intensely of smoke. They also clean the rooms.
Meals: 10 USD x 3 meals. Decent to okayish, both Eastern and Western style. Vegetarian limited, but available, lots of fried noodles. Further options on request, e.g. tofu sweet and sour. Usually accompanied by fresh fruit. Cake on weekends.
Facilities: Kettle, mini-fridge, rain shower with hot water, bathtub, hair-dryer, locker, air conditioning, television with Khmer and international channels. Cleaning with fresh sheets and towels every 3-4 days and on request. Walking the halls apparently tolerated. Gym and pool closed.
Wifi: Provided. Sometimes quite slow during the day. A lot better in the evenings.
Comments: Room rather clean, 30sqm, not extremely bright. Staff very nice and accommodating. Reception not always available by phone. No temperature checks. Drinking water minimum two liters per day, more upon request. Coffee good, but only two packages every 3-4 days.
Meals: $10/boxed meal (not included in above price). The food is edible. Rice at every lunch and dinner with a protein (mostly beef, seafood and some fried chicken). Breakfast varied between fried noodles with shrimp pot stickers and beans with hot dog and chicken salad sandwich. The food was always cold by the time it arrived.
Deliveries: allowed. I only used delivery services. It took an average of 35 minutes for the hotel staff to bring our deliveries... so cold french fries.
Wifi: Internet - provided. Sufficient speed in down times, bogged down at peak times.
Comments: small fridge (18in x 12in x 12in); good in-ceiling A/C; a 1 liter hot water pot; consistent supply of bottled water (supposedly at no cost); NO microwave; NO hot water in bathroom
Children: 2 toddlers. No additional charges besides the food they eat. (I will update once the final amount is given)
Star Rating: If I was reviewing on Google...2.5/5. Based on the experiences of others in this thread...4/5
I would highly recommend that you bring some food items with you. The cheddar cheese, summer sausage, salami, packaged tuna, peanut butter, and crackers we brought with us helped supplement the meals.
Room rate : since i know i dont have a choice but to pay i decided not to ask how muchvthey were riping me off.
Meals : only 1 in 4 edible , mostly bland unseasonned ,overcoocked rice ,with either khmer dishes that smelled like they were cooked two weeks ago, and i m guessing an american approximation of food with dried fried chicken or overcoocked meat .i asked for a plate that i could keep and clean myself so as to not eat in a smelly plastic box and they said no .
Facilities: fridge and kettle.a tv , air con is stuck on polar and is noisy as hell , i asked for a fan , they said no .
Rooms are nothing spécial, exept for the lack of sound proofing which allowed to enjoy the work done on one side with drilling and banging , my neighbour passion for martial arts vidéos and the guard talkie bleeping and static all night and day .apparently allowed in the hall which is kinda counterproductive since the floor isnt single flight or even single arrival date .....
Staff was rude tried to scam me on tp 2 dol a roll until.i called réception , took 5 days to make them understand i was allergic to shellfish ,until i gave and went for végétarian option .
Spoty wifi .
Meals Optional: Yes, Firstly I opted only for 1 meal a day and then quickly gave up the meal subscription. Poor quality dishes, mixing fish and meat (🙄) alongside white steamed rice.
Deliveries: Officially only dry food is allowed in delivery (cup noodle etc.) but they are not very regarding on what your order usually 🙃
Additional Charges: Like mentioned, you will have security charges and doctor charges, around 40$ and 90$ respectively as far as I remember
Comments: Fridge, kettle, TV with international channels, ac fan pretty well furnished room. 4x 500ml water every day, Full cleaning every three days (with no extra charges) with replacement of towels, sheets etc, and they bring along tea coffee and sugar.
580$ Back
Star Rating: 4/5, mainly because of the deliveries but also for the cleaning and the very comfortable room. One star is missing because :
- On the 14thday, they announced a backlog from the ministry of health, fair enough. The next day they said we will be charged for a half night (65$/2) if we stay after 5pm. The results were announced at 5:15 🙃. I don't know if it was made on purpose but suspicious enough to mention it.

Thanks so much for putting this together. All of these are right on the money.. described correctly. I opted out of lunch .. the guy said "forever" lol. I wanted to make it as easy as possible. Save 10 bucks per day. Let's see when the bill comes tho. I even had a khmer friend call and gave my room #. The management of the hotel contacted me to confirm this. They seem pretty good so far with communication
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

BklynBoy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:01 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:38 am Welcome back @BklynBoy, as discussed via PM and for the benefit of other travellers I created a thread about pre-flight PCR testing here

Spoty wifi .
580$ Back

Thanks so much for putting this together. All of these are right on the money.. described correctly. I opted out of lunch .. the guy said "forever" lol. I wanted to make it as easy as possible. Save 10 bucks per day. Let's see when the bill comes tho. I even had a khmer friend call and gave my room #. The management of the hotel contacted me to confirm this. They seem pretty good so far with communication
so they allowed my khmer friend to drop off fruit and even a breakfast.. The breakfast i was surprised about considering they might see it as taking away from their revenue stream.. I tipped the guy a few bucks for bringing it up.

Hope i can work out some deal . Moving forward maybe i can opt out of breakfast also..
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

I have to say this hotel is really good with communication. I got my 2nd test today and should be out tomorrow. They called my room and told me exactly when to go to the testing area. There was a line. It went pretty quickly. THey stab your brain tho.. shit.. just the cost of doing business here.

They couldn't find my name at first. Maybe because not used to the spelling or something but went quick. .Also noticed a few muslim or Malaysian looking group. They might of been Cham? Unsure.
Any questions, let me know but this hotel has been a good experience considering the flip side. Opt out of food, allow friends to bring food and good communication-- and staff speaks English
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

the check out was even easier.. very quick and my total for the 14 days was 1,1,70
i am going tomorrow to get the refund.. Unless i read that wrong it seems like more then what others are getting back.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic