What's a good gift to give Khmers?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Deefer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: What's a good gift to give Khmers?

Post by Deefer »

Super Duper have a selection of Danish shortbread biscuits in a presentation tin as a standard stock item. Price is reasonable.
I have also seen them occasionally in Smile mini mart.

Deefer
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Big Daikon wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:56 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:02 pm Add a tin of those Danish butter/shortbread biscuits to your basket.
If I may jump in here, are those widely available in KoW?

Loved them since I was a kid.
Lucky has them but you can even buy them at the markets.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:38 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:56 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:02 pm Add a tin of those Danish butter/shortbread biscuits to your basket.
If I may jump in here, are those widely available in KoW?

Loved them since I was a kid.
Lucky has them but you can even buy them at the markets.
Nice to know. Thank you!
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Giving them something easy like flowers, fruit basket, whatever doesn't show a lot of thought. Is there something they enjoy e.g. gardening (unlikely) where you could get them the latest gadget. Buying for the kids is always appreciated by the parents. Are their specs falling off - day/night ones (bit exey). If you want food, make them something if you can. Point is, people appreciate thought/effort - I once kept a homemade card for months - and relevance. Can go pear-shaped though, as I found out buying a day at the spa, but she didn't like strangers touching her. I ended up getting a 3 hour massage for myself!
Easier said than done, I know, that's why you are asking for help. It is also why it holds more value.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:33 pm Giving them something easy like flowers, fruit basket, whatever doesn't show a lot of thought. Is there something they enjoy e.g. gardening (unlikely) where you could get them the latest gadget. Buying for the kids is always appreciated by the parents. Are their specs falling off - day/night ones (bit exey). If you want food, make them something if you can. Point is, people appreciate thought/effort - I once kept a homemade card for months - and relevance. Can go pear-shaped though, as I found out buying a day at the spa, but she didn't like strangers touching her. I ended up getting a 3 hour massage for myself!
Easier said than done, I know, that's why you are asking for help. It is also why it holds more value.
I recommend NOT to give flowers on this occasion. Food is a much safer bet.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I agree, but they are both gone soon after - the biscuits might hang around for awhile, I guess - I can't recall ever buying flowers. Do people still eat junk? I thought most had kicked foody bad habits since researching how to strengthen our bodies to combat the VID. How about a big bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar. About $8 and can cure interior and exterior ailments - cholesterol, blood sugar, acne, weight loss, blood pressure, heart health, cramps, constipation... - so long as you keep your potassium levels up. Also handy if you have too many teeth, as the acid will wear enamel, so dilute or use straw.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Box of instant noodles
12 Tins sardines
Half a case Ganzberg
Fish oil and soy sauce
20kg Rumdoul
A krama
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Smart watch.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

How would you do that ? Just wondering how would you wrap it up ? Image
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Chuck Borris wrote:Smart watch.
Needs a dedicated… not hotspot phone internet to set up. Phone to set it up with needs a dedicated internet to set it up, too.

Great if the recipient lives the the big city with stable internet, useless out in the villages.

Fruit sounds great. Or an emergency food package at this point - 20 kilo sack of rice and dried fish.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic