Tough new smoking laws soon?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Tough new smoking laws soon?

Post by Anchor Moy »

The ruling CPP and opposition CNRP made a rare show of fraternity Wednesday morning in unanimously passing the country’s first tobacco control law—which bans sales to minors, smoking in public and most advertising—in a bid to combat related illnesses.
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/part ... law-81703/

As a smoker, I'm quite ok with banning sales to minors, advertising etc - but "smoking in public"? Hmmm.

And this is also questionable IMO:
The law states: “Any act of selling or distributing all types of tobacco products to persons aged under 18 years or to pregnant women whose pregnancy is obvious or is realized must be punished with six days to one month in prison and a fine of 100,000 riel [about $25] to 1 million riel [about $250].”
I haven't heard of it being illegal to sell cigarettes to pregnant women before? Undoubtedly, it is not good for pregnant women to smoke, but this law will give them the legal status of a minor. (!!)

From my experience, it's the older generation who smoke in Cambodia anyway. Don't think I know any Cambodians under 40 that smoke.
Anyway, will see what happens - so easy just to make more laws... :popcorn:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Tough new smoking laws soon?

Post by Username Taken »

I usually send my kids to the shop to buy my cigarettes.

Wonder how long it will take before they are told they can't buy them anymore. :o
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Username Taken wrote:I usually send my kids to the shop to buy my cigarettes.

Wonder how long it will take before they are told they can't buy them anymore. :o
Something tells me this law won't take that away from you in practice.

Wonder what lobby organization ordered this. Recently they were prepping gross imagery, now they're banning public smoking. That was a quick turn.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Wow, restricting the "sale" to pregnant women is hardcore.

I have a feeling the first pregnant woman to spend 6+ days in jail for this law will just happen to be a member of the opposition party. :stir:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

General Mackevili wrote:Wow, restricting the "sale" to pregnant women is hardcore.

I have a feeling the first pregnant woman to spend 6+ days in jail for this law will just happen to be a member of the opposition party. :stir:
You misunderstand, read it again:
Any act of selling or distributing all types of tobacco products to persons aged under 18 years or to pregnant women whose pregnancy is obvious or is realized
Pregnant women don't go to jail. People who sell to them do.

Wonder if they will consider second hand smoke near pregnant women distribution of tobacco products to pregnant women. I.e. going to jail for smoking next to a minor.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

There is no way these laws will be strictly enforced...it's not even worthy of discussion. No smoking in public, yea right!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Speaking of laws that will never be enforced...

What's the deal with shisha/hookah lounges these days?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

^ I did see people smoking shisha at a bar on 172 about 5-6 weeks ago, but I noticed its definitely not out in the open like it used to be. Was never really that popular in PP like it is in Thailand, more of just a fad amongst the Khmer youth (which was the main cause of the ban), apart from the few expats and tourists that indulged.

I've got a couple of hookahs (not to be confused with hookers) at home which normally only come out when I have friends over for drinks, haven't been able to find anywhere to buy the shisha in town since the ban so I normally have to buy it from the ME airports I regularly transit through on my home from work.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote:I usually send my kids to the shop to buy my cigarettes.

Probably about the same time the two-adults-to-a-moto rule starts being applied.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Maybe HE has stopped smoking ?
Hence the no smoking in public (so he doesn't feel tempted.) :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic