Government signs nuclear power agreement with China and Russia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Government signs nuclear power agreement with China and Russia

Post by techietraveller84 »

Caught my eye: the focus is on "nuclear technology in priority areas such as industry, agriculture, food safety, energy, construction, the environment and medicine."
A senior official says the three countries have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU).

Environment Minister Say Samal said the government inked the agreement with the Russian Atomic Energy Corporation and the China National Nuclear Corporation.

The MoU aims to boost cooperation on nuclear energy and the use of nuclear technology in priority areas such as industry, agriculture, food safety, energy, construction, the environment and medicine.

Cambodia already uses nuclear technology to treat cancer patients at Calmette Hospital in Phnom Penh.

The government is also setting up an information centre, with China’s assistance, to raise public awareness of the potential of nuclear power.

Cambodia has already been working with the two countries on nuclear power. In 2016, Cambodia signed an MoU with Russia to create the Nuclear Science and Technology Centre. A year later, Cambodia and China also reached agreement on nuclear energy cooperation.

Russia has also offered training in nuclear technology. Two Cambodian students graduated from St Petersburg Polytechnic University this month with degrees in Nuclear Power Engineering.

Prime Minister HE held talks with the International Atomic Energy Agency in 2014.

He said at the time there would be no nuclear power development in the Kingdom.

However, Cambodia has since asked the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) for help drawing up laws on nuclear safety and radiation, environmental protection and controlling radioactive waste.

In 2020, Cambodia’s power supply consisted of 60 percent coal and gas, with the remainder coming from a combination of hydropower, solar, biomass and other renewables.

Energy Minister Suy Sem said this month that he expects Cambodia’s economic recovery to push up power demand to pre-Covid levels. Demand before last year was growing at an annual rate of 15 to 23 percent, he said, adding that demand may even outstrip pre-2020 growth levels.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50902106/g ... nd-russia/
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Government signs nuclear power agreement with China and Russia

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I now realise that this place will have further changes and become less familiar, and comfortable.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Surfing, 'Plume. ^^
We are all surfing three dimensional moving planes in Cambodia these days.
Nothing is fixed, and we are already a long long way down the line from were were only yesterday.
Forget yesterday except as History.

Learn to surf 3D shifting planes OR become that old wooden wreck half buried in the sandbank and cluttering up the surf zone.

nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

In general I’m pro-nuclear, but I’m not sure Cambodia is best equipped to handle it safely. Not too hard to imagine some contractor taking a huge fee to take care of the waste and then just quietly dumping it in the Mekong.

And let’s not forget what happened in Bhopal when an outside country tried training a bunch of random locals in a less developed country to handle dangerous substances…
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

nerdlinger wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:57 am In general I’m pro-nuclear, but I’m not sure Cambodia is best equipped to handle it safely. Not too hard to imagine some contractor taking a huge fee to take care of the waste and then just quietly dumping it in the Mekong.

And let’s not forget what happened in Bhopal when an outside country tried training a bunch of random locals in a less developed country to handle dangerous substances…
Chinese construction standards meet the people who gave us Chernobyl. Sounds like fun.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:02 am
nerdlinger wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:57 am In general I’m pro-nuclear, but I’m not sure Cambodia is best equipped to handle it safely. Not too hard to imagine some contractor taking a huge fee to take care of the waste and then just quietly dumping it in the Mekong.

Chinese construction standards meet the people who gave us Chernobyl. Sounds like fun.
Japan haven’t got the best track record.

The 20 Worst Nuclear Disasters in World History
Chernobyl (1986) – Ukraine (USSR)
Windscale Pile (1957) – United Kingdom
Kyshtym (1957) – Russia
Fukushima Daiichi (2011) – Japan
Fukui Prefecture (2004) Japan
Buenos Aires (1983) – Argentina
Forsmark (2006) – Sweden
Saint Laurent des Eaux (1980) – France
Simi Valley (1957) – United States of America
Tokaimura (1999) – Japan
People of the world, spice up your life.
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

I'm a pro nuclear too.

It really depends what kind of reactor they plan to use.
China seems to go in the right direction and will sell starting in 2030 thorium reactor or molten salt reactor.

If so it'll be a safe solution for nuclear in Cambodia.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

orussey98 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:18 am
nerdlinger wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:57 am In
I'm a pro nuclear too.

It really depends what kind of reactor they plan to use.
China seems to go in the right direction and will sell starting in 2030 thorium reactor or molten salt reactor.

If so it'll be a safe solution for nuclear in Cambodia.
If the build in Kampot they can they make a molten pepper reactor? :hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic