Cross cultural stories

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Cross cultural stories

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

I'd encourage you to write your cross-cultural stories. An example being wetting the babies head in Cambodia where local traditions take precedent.

Don't be frightened of being trolled. They'll all get warned and then kicked off if they persist.

Let's make CEO more friendly towards like minded people and stop the bullying culture that is all too common in online forums.

I'm aware this post may antagonise the ones we want off of here, however it seems they get gnarly at the drop of a hat.

Be grateful to those who have hurt or harmed you, for they have reinforced your determination.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cross cultural stories

Post by John Bingham »

Once upon a time in Phnom Penh it was dark and stormy. There was this thing and also there was some stuff. No one knows what happened to this thing, and most of the stuff is gone now. But back then it was quite right. And there was these people and they did some stuff at this place, over by where that thing and the other stuff was, in the stormy night.
Well, some of the people died and we think it was because of this thing but I'm not sure because some of these people were also doing some dubious stuff that I would not recommend in polite society, not by a long shot, and that's for sure.
So let that be a lesson to ya.
THE END
Silence, exile, and cunning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

DAY OF ALL THE BLOOD IN CAMBODIA

THIS IS THE STORY OF A DAY WHERE THERE WAS ALL THIS BLOOD. A MAN WAS WALKING AROUND AND BLOOD STARTED COMING OUT OF HIM EVERYWHERE. THERE WAS SO MUCH BLOOD THAT IT FILLED UP AN ELEVATOR. HE WENT TO THE STORE AND THERE WAS JUST BLOOD ALL OVER THE PLACE! PEOPLE WERE SLIPPING IN IT AND THEY WERE ALL GROSSED OUT. HE TRIED TO GO SWIMMING AND ALL OF THE SHARKS WENT NUTS AND BITTENED EVERYBODY. HE GOT CHASED BY ALL THE VAMPIRES EVER. ONE TIME THE BLOOD GOT A KID AND A DOG. AT THE END OF THE DAY EVERYONE DECIDED THEY WOULD SEND HIM TO SPACE SO THAT HE WOULD STOP GETTING BLOOD EVERY WHERE. THE SCARIEST PART IS THAT THE MAN WAS YOU!!! (OR HE WAS A LADY IF YOU ARE A LADY) AND YOU FORGOT THAT THIS HAPPENED
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:12 pm DAY OF ALL THE BLOOD IN CAMBODIA

THIS IS THE STORY OF A DAY WHERE THERE WAS ALL THIS BLOOD. A MAN WAS WALKING AROUND AND BLOOD STARTED COMING OUT OF HIM EVERYWHERE. THERE WAS SO MUCH BLOOD THAT IT FILLED UP AN ELEVATOR. HE WENT TO THE STORE AND THERE WAS JUST BLOOD ALL OVER THE PLACE! PEOPLE WERE SLIPPING IN IT AND THEY WERE ALL GROSSED OUT. HE TRIED TO GO SWIMMING AND ALL OF THE SHARKS WENT NUTS AND BITTENED EVERYBODY. HE GOT CHASED BY ALL THE VAMPIRES EVER. ONE TIME THE BLOOD GOT A KID AND A DOG. AT THE END OF THE DAY EVERYONE DECIDED THEY WOULD SEND HIM TO SPACE SO THAT HE WOULD STOP GETTING BLOOD EVERY WHERE. THE SCARIEST PART IS THAT THE MAN WAS YOU!!! (OR HE WAS A LADY IF YOU ARE A LADY) AND YOU FORGOT THAT THIS HAPPENED
Needs more blood.
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

Xai Yok area (north west of Kanchanaburi, Thailand)

Meet a girl in Bangkok at 1am. Sleep for an hour. Join a trip to Kanchanaburi at 7am. All chip in for the hiring of a Hilux. Drove from Kanchanaburi passed Xai Yok and Erawan national parks. From the club to a forested area in 18 hours with a waterfall and temple in between. Beers and sticky rice cooked in bamboo awaited us at Earth's family home, as did a camp fire. After a few beers the only other farang, a Swede started hallucinating. He was seeing ghosts so wanted to sleep alone in the car.

Earth worked with the girl I met the night before. With the Swede we were travelling as four. He was a salesman in Bangkok and all the commissions he made paid for the electricity lines from the main road to his parents isolated house. The girl was poor at sales, but what small commission she made she spent on colleagues. She had a heart of gold.
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

Dont you love it when we meet locals who have a good command of English, but make a mistake with similar sounding words. Somewhere my ex learnt the term country bumpkin, however she always pronounced it country pumpkin. My response was never to correct her. It tickled me and I would often smirk like a clown or if I had a mate beside me I would just make brief eye contact with him to see if he noticed it. There are loads of mistakes made by locals that I picked up on whilst travelling that were subtle and the smaller the mistake the more I liked it.

I speak Vietnamese quite well some say. With it being a tonal language I do however make tons of mistakes with my pronunciation and often locals would burst out laughing when I did. That humoured me when they did teased me.

Word play is fun and all you need is a medium to large vocabulary and a few linking words. Often basic Vietnamese sentences comprise only three words; a subject, an object and a verb. Some examples; Cho an xuong = dog eat bone. Khong say, khong (di) ve nha = No drunk, no go home. More complex sentences can be learned in time.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

alright, can this thread be locked now?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

theKid wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:40 pm alright, can this thread be locked now?
better idea
Lock Phnom Penh Pal and his drivel

Never mind, i just put him on ignore, i can see wont miss anything :beer1:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

@mods. I thought I posted this in Cambodian Culture, can you move it over there please.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

The inability of Khmer to pronounce the x sound makes interesting english lessons when the kids are reciting stuff loudly about a fox.
Locked Previous topicNext topic