The Rainy Season - Where is it?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

The Rainy Season - Where is it?

Post by Doc67 »

After a bit of a good start, the rain seems to have disappeared in PP. The occasional shower here and there, but it never lasts for long. Plus there have been many days when there has been cloud for most of the day and a few spits, but that's it.

I used to have my TV drowned out with the rain on the tin balcony roof, and I can't remember the last time that happened.

I have missed a few June's or July's here, but it always seems a lot wetter than now.

Am I wrong?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: The Rainy Season - Where is it?

Post by atst »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:58 am After a bit of a good start, the rain seems to have disappeared in PP. The occasional shower here and there, but it never lasts for long. Plus there have been many days when there has been cloud for most of the day and a few spits, but that's it.

I used to have my TV drowned out with the rain on the tin balcony roof, and I can't remember the last time that happened.

I have missed a few June's or July's here, but it always seems a lot wetter than now.

Am I wrong?
As dry as the bars have been, don't worry the big man will get his friends to release a couple of dams if we get short. :stir:
trouble is the streets aren't getting washed
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The Chinese have probably stolen all the moisture.* The clouds we see are actually cheap plastic, made in China.

*they’ll sell it back or donate it in an aid package, later.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Its all being dumped in Subic Philippines not stopped raining hard there for over a week
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:57 am The Chinese have probably stolen all the moisture.* The clouds we see are actually cheap plastic, made in China.

*they’ll sell it back or donate it in an aid package, later.
This is actually partially true.

There is currently serious problems with flooding in China right now with a number of reservoirs and dams under serious threat of adding to the unprecedented levels of rainfall they are currently experiencing.
That, coupled with numerous people watching the 3 gorges dam for signs of trouble I think the problem might even be bigger than we are seeing at the minute.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Have noticed this too.

The maps on this page all agree that rainfall is - and is predicted to be - below average here:
https://asmc.asean.org/asmc-seasonal-outlook/#
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:58 am After a bit of a good start, the rain seems to have disappeared in PP. The occasional shower here and there, but it never lasts for long. Plus there have been many days when there has been cloud for most of the day and a few spits, but that's it.

Am I wrong?
For the heaviest rain, you always have to wait for September and October.
https://en.climate-data.org/asia/cambod ... penh-4857/

If you want earlier rain, Kampot and the coast has that.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Been pelting it down here every day for weeks
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:42 pm Been pelting it down here every day for weeks
The rain is weirdly localized here. I'll be in the center city at work and there'll be a crazy storm, while a few km away at home it's dry as a bone.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic