The Rainy Season - Where is it?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Rainy Season - Where is it?

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:38 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:29 am
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:36 pm Well there you go @Doc67

Wish it would stop long enough for me to go and get dinner!
Ha Ha. I was just about to post again here, along the lines of, "it's August... so where's the rain?" Glad I kept my powder dry.

Still, one downpour doesn't make a season.
Just been so long since we had rain like that. In the last month (? six weeks?) just one downpour in the middle of the night I think. At least the streets got a good wash and flush. They've really needed that, with markets being closed down at times, and vendors selling fish and stuff on the streets. Hopefully more to come.
But it always comes when I am either wanting to go to or leave the pub.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Before it pours it rains. Walk home in the rain, you'll know you're alive.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:09 pm Before it pours it rains. Walk home in the rain, you'll know you're alive.
Until you get hit by lightening...
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Doc67 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:08 am
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:09 pm Before it pours it rains. Walk home in the rain, you'll know you're alive.
That would get it out of the way forever. My Grandfather tagged me with the moniker "Lightning", when I chopped the wood.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:16 am
That would get it out of the way forever. My Grandfather tagged me with the moniker "Lightning", when I chopped the wood.
My guess is not for being quick but more likely not being able to hit the same place twice :plus1:
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Arget wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:23 pm
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:16 am
My guess is not for being quick but more likely not being able to hit the same place twice :plus1:
It was meant to be obvious but thanks for the explanation
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cambodia is lucky in that it doesn't get much seismic activity (earthquakes) and it's sheltered from Tsunamis by the Isthmus of Kral. However much of the central part is incredibly flat, and often quite damp. Whatever it is, Cambodia has some of the highest death rates from lightning in the world. I remember this Japanese tourist sheltering from a storm under a tree in front of the Royal Palace and getting fried. Sometimes dozens of cattle get wiped out in one strike.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:26 pm
Cambodia is lucky in that it doesn't get much seismic activity (earthquakes) and it's sheltered from Tsunamis by the Isthmus of Kral. However much of the central part is incredibly flat, and often quite damp. Whatever it is, Cambodia has some of the highest death rates from lightning in the world. I remember this Japanese tourist sheltering from a storm under a tree in front of the Royal Palace and getting fried. Sometimes dozens of cattle get wiped out in one strike.
Yet they are happy with 220v without any earth wires, or RCD breakers or any control or regulation over dangerous electrical appliances - (case in point, two teenagers recently getting killed by their phone chargers). Yet lightning will have their sweet faces go all ashen and run to hide under the bed.

I sometimes wonder if they know the two are closely related.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ever place I've lived had breakers inside, and there are more in the EDC box on the street.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Not off topic as Doc is the OP. We took shelter under a tree, during a rugby match in Canada, until lightning split it in 2 and we unanimously voted to play on. The crack is deafening.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic