'Malevolent Cretin' Accused of Doing a Runner in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

'Malevolent Cretin' Accused of Doing a Runner in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

From social media:

"Mods, please feel free to remove this is not the correct forum to place this notice.

I gave this guy, ELLIOT ARNOLD, an American national, a massive discount on renting my spare room after a convincing sob story about his former housemate, who at the time I didn't know was owed money too. This offer was made on the proviso that he would work for me to help mitigate the unsustainable subsidy. We were friends, so I paid for all his food (literally every meal) and everything else including antibiotics, which I never received a cent for, despite endless promises, which we have since learned are the bread and butter of perpetual moochers.

By the end of June, I knew this slippery gypsy was no good, having racked up a debt of over $400 with me alone, for his share of rent and his share of the electric bill which was nearly a month late.

He left in the middle of the night, with all his stuff in a duffel bag, wearing my shirt and treading silently. My girlfriend noticed and alerted me, so I confronted him at the elevator where he looked sheepish and just kept saying he would pay when he could before skulking into the lift and disappearing into the night.. this was now a month ago.. I was so angry after all the opportunities we had given him to thrive where his rent was really cheap, he was being taught how to repair computers, every meal was Food Panda and paid for by us.

Now we are blocked, unable to find him and unable to recover the funds so desperately needed. Now he rides around drunk in tuk tuks at 3am with hookers and doesn't care who he has debts with. Please share this to your page to support.

He left with his rent unpaid at the Irish Pub where we lived (guess who had to pay it so they didn't get kicked out). I have since found out I am one of many people Elliot Arnold has tricked and deceived into helping him, each time living outside of his means until he is ejected. He then fabricates a story to make himself look like a victim and uses it to find his next host.

It is my understanding that there are a number of individuals in PP who have had similar interactions with Elliot and also never got their money.

Today I am starting a campaign to raise awareness of this malevolent cretin around town so that he can no longer suck the blood of those who enter his radar.

I would never write a post like this aside from out of sheet frustration. He has blocked me and another friend to whom he is also in debt.

He was last known to be living with Michael Van, who is the new supply and has not yet had his wallet chewed.

PP, please speak up and validate my accusations.

PS: yes, that is me cringing in the background.

Many thanks
David Aristole
0973 453 115 telegram"

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: 'Malevolent Cretin' Accused of Doing a Runner in Phnom Penh

Post by Anchor Moy »

Sad to say that barangs in Cambodia are not always honest. I feel bad for the people who try to do a good deed and get fked over like the OP. Expat scammers are the worst - they play on your emotions and your common ground as expats - mostly they are professional rip-off artists. Some are trapped in Cambodia now with Covid border closures. They will keep scamming, so stay on the lookout.
post503813.html#p503813
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm really surprised by this as he looks like such a trustworthy individual. Who could have even guessed?

For fucks' sake he looks worse than the twat in my avatar. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

You look like you know already, and he looks like he knows that you know while he doesn't give a damn about that...
Good meme potential.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

He looks like a total cnut and turned out to be one. Amazing.

What amazes me the most is how much patience some people have. In case I help someone who presents me with a sob story, I make it short and sweet.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Looking for the good in someone while ignoring the red flags will come back to bite ya 100% of the time.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

The OP got mugged off by a scrounger. Nothing new there, the world is full of them.

What is new is people bleating to anyone who will listen about how they are a victim. This is to achieve their victimhood status and elicit sympathy and support, because the are raising awareness, Raising awareness is a fancy way of saying "I am moaning about [insert cause here]" It's a catch-all justification for all the shit-stirrers and activists with their petty little causes.

The OP is a victim of his own gullibility as much as the scrounger. Until he starts to accept most of the blame and learn from it, he will be a mark forever.

People used to get praise and respect for doing something good, courageous, maybe even heroic. They aspired to that. These days all you have top do is be pathetic and invite sympathy and the attention will flow.

It's $400. Take it on the chin and learn from it. Don't make matters worse by mugging yourself off again by telling everyone.
Alf Tupper
Tourist
Tuvalu

Post by Alf Tupper »

The OP says this unsavoury character is now living with a Michael Van. If it's the same Michael Van I know then he really has met his match.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

Op is a guy who in the same sentence will try to sell you his shitty "custom built" PCs and brag about getting girls right after they get out of high school.

You can frequently find him at the deck.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:45 am The OP got mugged off by a scrounger. Nothing new there, the world is full of them.

What is new is people bleating to anyone who will listen about how they are a victim. This is to achieve their victimhood status and elicit sympathy and support, because the are raising awareness, Raising awareness is a fancy way of saying "I am moaning about [insert cause here]" It's a catch-all justification for all the shit-stirrers and activists with their petty little causes.

The OP is a victim of his own gullibility as much as the scrounger. Until he starts to accept most of the blame and learn from it, he will be a mark forever.

People used to get praise and respect for doing something good, courageous, maybe even heroic. They aspired to that. These days all you have top do is be pathetic and invite sympathy and the attention will flow.

It's $400. Take it on the chin and learn from it. Don't make matters worse by mugging yourself off again by telling everyone.
This.. so much this!?

What amazes me the most is that they don’t get embarrassed by posting this publicly. I doubt I would find myself in a similar situation but I know for a fact I would:-
A. Learn from it.
B. Never ever hope anyone found out I was so stupid and gullible to be in the situation in the first place.

These people will never be able to deal with a true adversity and will always need their hands holding by people while they softly whisper “there, there. Everything will be ok” in their ear. I have no sympathy and couldn’t give a flying fck about them or their situation.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic