When does a tourist become an expat for medical insurance purposes?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:06 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:33 am
Stiliko wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:25 am So what’s the story about this “accident?” For instance: Car? Or moto? Did it involve another vehicle? Etc. Details?

I don’t recall it hitting the news.
2 vehicle RTA, victim was in smaller vehicle and suffered nasty head and leg injuries

Royal Phnom Penh required a 300K deposit before treatment, it has been said, due to the patient allegedly having a positive covid test
You mean $USD 300k? Last year, for the first time, I took up expat health insurance rather than my previous periodic travel insurance coz I figured I would be 'stuck' here for some considerable time... Besides, when does a habitual tourist become an expat?

Anyway, the company I went with for expat health insurance assured me I was covered for covid (even tho I'm supposedly entitled to free medical treatment at a local public hospital as advised by HE last year).

However, my membership certificate specifies covid treatment coverage for minimal expenses of $USD100k. On that basis, if you're referring to USD300k then, I would be covered...then again, I can't help but think they would make damn sure the fees exceeded USD100k, no?
What was the health insurance you went with, and yes interesting point you made when does a tourest become an expat in insurance eyes ( maybe the day you make a claim)PM me if you like
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Stiliko wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:25 am So what’s the story about this “accident?” For instance: Car? Or moto? Did it involve another vehicle? Etc. Details?

2 vehicle RTA, victim was in smaller vehicle and suffered nasty head and leg injuries

Royal Phnom Penh required a 300K deposit before treatment, it has been said, due to the patient allegedly having a positive covid test
You mean $USD 300k? Last year, for the first time, I took up expat health insurance rather than my previous periodic travel insurance coz I figured I would be 'stuck' here for some considerable time... Besides, when does a habitual tourist become an expat?

Anyway, the company I went with for expat health insurance assured me I was covered for covid (even tho I'm supposedly entitled to free medical treatment at a local public hospital as advised by HE last year).

However, my membership certificate specifies covid treatment coverage for minimal expenses of $USD100k. On that basis, if you're referring to USD300k then, I would be covered...then again, I can't help but think they would make damn sure the fees exceeded USD100k, no?
I also don't know when a tourist becomes an expat for insurance purposes, but for general Cambodia (law) purposes, a foreigner stops being a tourist after a consecutive 30-day stay.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I gather many tourist oriented policies have 30day limits per stay. I’m sure though, that the adjusters would look more closely at other factors-

Cambodia suspending Tourist visa issue last year. Therefore, not a tourist.
Stuck in country on an extension- was this info provided to the underwriter?
Passport checks- frequent long stay visitor?

Among others, probably.

The underwriter would have a whole team to ensure that they were legally bound or absolved.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: When does a tourist become an expat for medical insurance purposes?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

atst wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:53 am

What was the health insurance you went with, and yes interesting point you made when does a tourest become an expat in insurance eyes ( maybe the day you make a claim)PM me if you like
After seeing it mentioned on another related thread and discussing with @Doc67 who used them too, I ended up going to a local insurance broker in PP run by a French guy https://www.agcambodia.com/

I found them very professional and helpful in tailoring a policy that meets my unique needs. So I went with April International https://fr.april-international.com/en/l ... ernational Of course the proof of how good they are will be in the pudding if I ever have to claim..

As the good doc wisely mentioned on another thread before, with personal medical insurance, it's not a case of one size fits all. So no one policy can be considered the 'best' and the doc has a different policy with a different company for his own requirements.

To elaborate, there are many factors:

Do you want hospital and medical or just hospital?
What deductible do you want.. (in my case, I selected $5k)
What coverage do you want? Worldwide or just regional?
Do you want repatriation?
Do you want coverage for post hospital services treatment/
And so it goes on..
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

As to the topic of when does an insurance company consider you a tourist or an expat.. Or more importantly would they cover you? I think it might come down to a question of residency..and sure as eggs, if the insurance can find a loophole, they will..

I was previously in a situation where I was spending a lot of time in Cambodia yet also maintaining a house in my home country. For all intent and purposes, I nevertheless considered myself a resident of my home country for tax purposes and had not made a decision to permanently relocate to Cambodia.

So, in the beginning and as I was periodically returning for visits to my home country, I was availing myself of free travel insurance as part of my credit card service. So each time I would return to my home country, I would renew it with the forward travel dates. This particular policy would cover for periods of up to 12 months away.

As time went on however, and despite being confident that I could argue that I was a tourist rather than having permanently relocated ie an expat, I grew increasingly uncomfortable over time that, in the event I had to make a claim, they would argue that point. Then, last year with covid and having made the decision to stay in PP and ride it out so to speak (much longer than I ever expected), I decided to bite the bullet and take out expat hospital insurance even though I still don't consider myself a non resident of my home country.

This insurance costs me heaps by the way, given I'm over 60, but I felt it was something I needed to do to sleep at night. Seems to me this area of policy is a tricky area depending on one's circumstances.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I think travel insurers would consider you to no longer be a tourist once you have a long term lease (not that they'd know though).

Get a quote from SafetyNet: https://www.safetynet-health.com/
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

The annual travel policies I had before I moved to Cambodia all specified a maximum length of any single trip outside of my home country and a maximum number of days abroad in the 12 month validity. As for what travel insurers do or don’t know, or how they can get out of paying, don’t underestimate them, it’s what they do for a living. As an example, a reasonable request might be to see your visa on the grounds that being here illegally might have hampered your access to free or emergency treatment. If they see an EB then it might be difficult to claim to be a tourist.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Bluenose wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:47 pm The annual travel policies I had before I moved to Cambodia all specified a maximum length of any single trip outside of my home country and a maximum number of days abroad in the 12 month validity. As for what travel insurers do or don’t know, or how they can get out of paying, don’t underestimate them, it’s what they do for a living. As an example, a reasonable request might be to see your visa on the grounds that being here illegally might have hampered your access to free or emergency treatment. If they see an EB then it might be difficult to claim to be a tourist.
That's what I would have considered, you are whatever visa you hold in the country visiting, I would think there is no argument of you being a tourist if that is the visa you have in your passport. Under normal circumstances, was you not alowed to extened the tourist visa for 30 days inside the country then leave at the end of that period, being in the possition once again to start the process over again.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Thanks everyone I'll have a dig around for the relevant thread about insurance , seems another cost of being an expat because those medical cost being talked about are more scary than driving around
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Got a quote I think I'll do the same as the insurance company and gamble I don't need to claim
I'll just put $2600 in bank at 7% every year, in ten years I'll have $37500,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic