When does a tourist become an expat for medical insurance purposes?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: When does a tourist become an expat for medical insurance purposes?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

atst wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:47 am I'm starting to think about not being an expat when this covid crap is over and you can fly, doing just two months at a time on tourist Visa doing visa runs ,I'm retired and $3000USD a year in premiums would go a long way towards air fares. Travel insurance on my visa card only. More thinking juice needed :beer3:
Any thoughts everyone.
In theory I don't see why being a constant tourist traveller in retirement as you describe, would be denied travel insurance. But of course I suggest you go through your credit card's travel insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) with a fine tooth comb and look for anything that might cause ineligibility.

I think the only time where some risk comes into it IMHO is if your residency status changes. That is, if there's evidence that you've relocated and are no longer a permanent resident of your issuing country.

So if for example, you start doing things like: going to the same country each time, no longer on a tourist visa (eg say, you opt for a retiree visa extension for convenience in KOW), you no longer stay in hotels but take out a long term lease on rental accommodation, you rent out your house and sell your assets in your home country (or put in storage), et al Then, I think, they are likely to start asking questions in the event of a claim and the onus will be on you to prove to them that you are still a permanent resident of your home country. In that event, it could drag things out and hamper coverage.

My CBA credit card travel insurance had a maximum trip period of 12 months.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: When does a tourist become an expat for medical insurance purposes?

Post by atst »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:11 pm
atst wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:47 am I'm starting to think about not being an expat when this covid crap is over and you can fly, doing just two months at a time on tourist Visa doing visa runs ,I'm retired and $3000USD a year in premiums would go a long way towards air fares. Travel insurance on my visa card only. More thinking juice needed :beer3:
Any thoughts everyone.
In theory I don't see why being a constant tourist traveller in retirement as you describe, would be denied travel insurance. But of course I suggest you go through your credit card's travel insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) with a fine tooth comb and look for anything that might cause ineligibility.

I think the only time where some risk comes into it IMHO is if your residency status changes. That is, if there's evidence that you've relocated and are no longer a permanent resident of your issuing country.

So if for example, you start doing things like: going to the same country each time, no longer on a tourist visa (eg say, you opt for a retiree visa extension for convenience in KOW), you no longer stay in hotels but take out a long term lease on rental accommodation, you rent out your house and sell your assets in your home country (or put in storage), et al Then, I think, they are likely to start asking questions in the event of a claim and the onus will be on you to prove to them that you are still a permanent resident of your home country. In that event, it could drag things out and hamper coverage.

My CBA credit card travel insurance had a maximum trip period of 12 months.
What you advise me not to do is basically what I'm doing now, ( so uninsured) but when covid stops and travel opens I think I'll become a tourist again with a base in my home country as I've suggested earlier. I did have nomad yearly travel insurance which covered me ( but not so sure once I got a retirement visa).
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic