Frangipani attacked by black ladybug

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Frangipani attacked by black ladybug

Post by velvet_thunder »

Hello Guys,

I got some kind of black ladybugs on my frangipani, and some kind of a white substance (ladybugs food or maybe the ladybug offsprings?)
ImageImage

I can blow away the black ladybug. Today is windy, so not sure if they are just being carried away or are actually flying..
Any advice to save my beloved tree ? i think i will try to spray some black soap on it as a starter.

Thanks in advance!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Frangipani attacked by black ladybug

Post by Kammekor »

Lice.

Ladybug might actually be feasting on them.

Try water + 10% soap added on the lice. Might work.
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Post by velvet_thunder »

Thanks, i will try that right away
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

velvet_thunder wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:25 pm Thanks, i will try that right away
Poor lice :whip2:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

The white things are mealy bugs. You can kill them off by soaking some cotton wool with rubbing alcohol and wiping it on them. Keep doing that till they're all gone.
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Post by velvet_thunder »

They have been sprayed. not sure of the effect yet.

After some research, i think it might be Cochineal (i dont know if this is related to lice), which is one of the favourite dish of the ladybugs.
There are people selling packs of 20 ladybugs on gardening websites, each ladybug eating about 25 cochineal per day. go team!

Amazingly, dried cochineal is used as a red colorant since at least 16th century it seems. It was brought by the Spanish from Mexico to Manilla and then to China, Cambodia and Siam (according to this book : https://books.google.com.kh/books?id=sH ... ia&f=false

It is largely used in the food industry and cosmetics too (https://www.bbc.com/news/business-43786055)
Now i am not sure if I should kill them, or start some businesses with those ladybugs and the cochineal
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

velvet_thunder wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:03 pm They have been sprayed. not sure of the effect yet.

After some research, i think it might be Cochineal (i dont know if this is related to lice), which is one of the favourite dish of the ladybugs.
There are people selling packs of 20 ladybugs on gardening websites, each ladybug eating about 25 cochineal per day. go team!

Amazingly, dried cochineal is used as a red colorant since at least 16th century it seems. It was brought by the Spanish from Mexico to Manilla and then to China, Cambodia and Siam (according to this book : https://books.google.com.kh/books?id=sH ... ia&f=false

It is largely used in the food industry and cosmetics too (https://www.bbc.com/news/business-43786055)
Now i am not sure if I should kill them, or start some businesses with those ladybugs and the cochineal
Sorry, not a native speaker. Translated from the (Dutch) word 'luis' but I am pretty convinced the ladybug wasn't there to destroy your plant but for lunch.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

They're mealy bugs!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:10 pm They're mealy bugs!
Yes, wolluis in Dutch. Luis.

We use water and soap but maybe Australians like it stronger? If soap doesn't do the trick we add 'spiritus' to the mix.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Anyway, don't blow the ladybugs away but instead give 'm a hug or two.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic