Australia and New Zealand pull out of Rugby League World Cup in England over Covid concerns

Title says it all really...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Australia and New Zealand pull out of Rugby League World Cup in England over Covid concerns

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Player welfare and safety concerns cited by both nations
ARLC and NZRL urge postponement of 2021 tournament

Australian Associated Press
Thu 22 Jul 2021 08.52 BST

Holders Australia and New Zealand have withdrawn from the Rugby League World Cup due to be held at the end of the year in England, citing player welfare and safety concerns.

In a joint statement on Thursday afternoon, the Australian Rugby League Commission and NZRL urged the tournament to be postponed until 2022 to avoid the risk of a player catching Covid-19.

The extraordinary move comes just a week after tournament officials confirmed the event would go ahead with or without defending champions Australia. Eight of the last nine world cups have been won by Australia, with the exception being New Zealand’s 2008 win.
England are due to pay Samoa at St James’ Park in the opening game of the Rugby League World Cup and the tournament is likely to get the green light to go ahead as planned on Thursday.
Australia’s NRL clubs want Rugby League World Cup postponed until 2022
Read more

However, organisers were confident they could assure the ARLC to sign the participation agreement by enforcing strict bubble conditions for participating athletes.

But not even that could persuade the ARLC and NZRL that the risk is worthwhile, saying in the current environment in the UK the risk is too great for athletes and officials.

Extended time away from home including quarantine periods was also cited as a reason for withdrawal.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... d-concerns
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Australia and New Zealand pull out of Rugby League World Cup in England over Covid concerns

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Good call! ^^

:stir:

:mrgreen:
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Australia and New Zealand pull out of Rugby League World Cup in England over Covid concerns

Post by Spigzy »

Fair play tbh, why on Earth Euro2020 & the Olympics has gone ahead is beyond me. Surely better to have COVID firmly in the rear view mirror before folks are travelling, gathering, etc. Domestic competitions maybe not so much, but even those still puzzle me - EPL last season was diabolical, not least for Leeds surviving the drop by a long way, but just the stadia atmosphere, etc was all but dead. What was the point? Give it some more time, 2022 seems be a fair bet to restart this sort of thing.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Good call, imo, but still unfortunate.
Either Au or NZ playing a thumping good match against the Poms at Hull is one of the few events of any kind i would travel right around the world to see.

Or NZ v. France
:director: "Remember the Rainbow Warrior, you frog eating frogmen** Bastards!"

:D

(** look it up)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

But when it comes to rugby it's all good, Australia's in lockdown the bubble has busted , but the wallabies can fly over to NZ no quarantine, play there game, reason $$$ . So they come over, play then the all blacks go home to thier families no worry's we've made $$$
Meanwhile Aussie and kiwi's are stranded unless you can find a quarantine spot and fork out $3000.
Something just doesn't add up, is it a super spreader virus or not.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

atst wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:21 am But when it comes to rugby it's all good, Australia's in lockdown the bubble has busted , but the wallabies can fly over to NZ no quarantine, play there game, reason $$$ . So they come over, play then the all blacks go home to thier families no worry's we've made $$$
Meanwhile Aussie and kiwi's are stranded unless you can find a quarantine spot and fork out $3000.
Something just doesn't add up, is it a super spreader virus or not.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... -wallabies
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

OK, no need to watch the World Cup then.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

England might actually win a tournament this time!

Rugby's coming home, it's coming home...
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:56 am England might actually win a tournament this time!

Maybe, as I guess the Saffers won't be coming either.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hanno wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:03 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:56 am England might actually win a tournament this time!

Maybe, as I guess the Saffers won't be coming either.
We won't let them in, BETA variant!

Things are looking better and better.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic