Do You Have Problems Sourcing Medications in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Do You Have Problems Sourcing Medications in Cambodia?

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:18 pm
AndyKK wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:59 pm What we probably don't expect, or up to now with the addition of the pandemic, is to be refused hospital treatment, or at least it too be made difficult to receive medical attention.
Denying treatment when there's no dosh to cover for it is common practice in the KoW. Problems will surface when you have no insurance and you end up needing high quality emergency care, maybe emergency surgery, and you only have some small notes in your pocket.
A 300k deposit is (seems?) outrageous, but for someone with serious head and leg damage without insurance you're looking at a pretty high hospital bill I guess.
Agreed!
But do these professionals in their business, rule out the care and compassion for a fellow person who are in need for their professional skills. These professionals already know of the fate or outcome if a person who does not receive treatment.
Has you know a few years back I could not receive the treatment that I was needing, but only part treatment to keep me in some kind of position of what to do next, I was lucky enough that I could travel, although that was always difficult and worrying at the time. But I was able to get the treatment needed. With regards to a more serious injury and adding the situation of today's pandemic, it makes things more complicated.

Just an additional note on care! Regards that of my partner's illness, I had contacted one or two professional organisations that have in past years had programs in the country with help and aid to support and give treatment to such cases. Of course the program has ended it's support and had no contact address anymore here, but I was able to contact the person's who matter, they regretted that they could not help, being that I was referring to a single person, but wishing us well and hoping that I can still source the medication needed.
Medication has been problematic from the offset, limited where to buy, being who and where it maybe stocked, and importantly who was the supplier and importers, plus I have gathered who, was in favour by the distributor, resulting in, you can guess of its costs. I have looked myself at importing the medication from verious countries, but the stumbler became the taxes. Believe it or not on more probing this situation, I have found that there is now a change too the supplier of one of the medicines I need. The supplier (western) is situated in the big city here, but up to date refuses to except my emails.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do You Have Problems Sourcing Medications in Cambodia?

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:55 am
Kammekor wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:18 pm
AndyKK wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:59 pm What we probably don't expect, or up to now with the addition of the pandemic, is to be refused hospital treatment, or at least it too be made difficult to receive medical attention.
Denying treatment when there's no dosh to cover for it is common practice in the KoW. Problems will surface when you have no insurance and you end up needing high quality emergency care, maybe emergency surgery, and you only have some small notes in your pocket.
A 300k deposit is (seems?) outrageous, but for someone with serious head and leg damage without insurance you're looking at a pretty high hospital bill I guess.
Agreed!
But do these professionals in their business, rule out the care and compassion for a fellow person who are in need for their professional skills. These professionals already know of the fate or outcome if a person who does not receive treatment.
Yes, they should according to my values.
But, the hospital would be out of business in weeks or months if they did.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:55 am The supplier (western) is situated in the big city here, but up to date refuses to except my emails.
They're not allowed to deliver to you. All medicine deliveries in Cambodia must go through a single company, forgot their name. You will find their sticker on each legit box. They must be making serious money.......

If you want direct delivery you will have to somehow bring the medicine in from abroad.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:04 am
AndyKK wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:55 am The supplier (western) is situated in the big city here, but up to date refuses to except my emails.
They're not allowed to deliver to you. All medicine deliveries in Cambodia must go through a single company, forgot their name. You will find their sticker on each legit box. They must be making serious money.......

If you want direct delivery you will have to somehow bring the medicine in from abroad.
Like I had said too import the medication, example from India because they produce some of the medicines at their pharmaceutical companies, and their costs and amount is subject to negotiation.
Reading an article about pricing, depends on someone's recommend pricing, and I have seen the prices that the world health organisation had listed, going by the prices quoted it would be not possible for your normal person of the country to afford the medicines. Although the prices in the pharmacy (if you're able to find) are actually a fraction of what has been recommended has sale value. Australia is too expensive to buy at the outset, and the crunch comes in at the price of the import tax, that alone makes it not feasible, though I was told by the outside distributor if it was added to another of their shipments it would be cheaper. But this all sounds like it could get a little complicated.
The other way is if there is a health organisation running a program in the country, but again that is not clear cut, because whom pick's the people who are of need, and there will be a limited number of course. But I have noticed with the situation of this in the past, the officials in charge will more than likely deny any illness of its kind existing in the country, or one of their professional medical people have eradicated the illness of such years ago.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:04 am All medicine deliveries in Cambodia must go through a single company, forgot their name. You will find their sticker on each legit box. They must be making serious money.......

That would be CamControl, would it not?

I recall a former expat owner of Mick and Craig's in SHV had a medical condition that required regular medication. His mother used to send it to him directly from the UK. Not sure whether that would work nowadays though.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:27 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:04 am All medicine deliveries in Cambodia must go through a single company, forgot their name. You will find their sticker on each legit box. They must be making serious money.......

I recall a former expat owner of Mick and Craig's in SHV had a medical condition that required regular medication. His mother used to send it to him directly from the UK. Not sure whether that would work nowadays though.
Yes, CamControl. For instance, for years they have blocked access for the antibiotic Benzathine penicillin G for instance, making it unavailable in Cambodia. It's the first recommended antibiotic for Syphilis by the way.

The people working at Camcontrol must be a special bunch.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:09 pm

Yes, CamControl. For instance, for years they have blocked access for the antibiotic Benzathine penicillin G for instance, making it unavailable in Cambodia. It's the first recommended antibiotic for Syphilis by the way.

The people working at Camcontrol must be a special bunch.
No! It's not CamControl, the organisation who have their company on the labels of the medicines my partner must take on a daily basis without missing a single dose, if she did miss only one pill the doctors told me at the time of her diagnoses that basically the medicine then would be of no value, because it would now be ineffective for its use. This situation of the particular medicine is a worry, due to its limited availability and cost. I have found it in Kompong Cham, Koh Kong and here in Phnom Penh, but only 1 pharmacy in the first two areas, maybe more in Phnom Penh has I am every so often making enquires to who may have! And that is the question, I know of some who have tried for me, but if they were able to manage to get it into stock then the price would be too high for me to afford the tablets. one of my Khmer friends watched her father die of the same illness because she could not afford the medication for him.
Anyhow I have now been able to contact the company, I am waiting for a reply.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

All importers of medicines/pharmaceutical products have to be approved and registered by the Ministry of Health and hold a valid import Licence.

One such company is Alliance Pharma Cambodge which holds Cambodian Licence ...CAM R2 3455 IP-06

And licenced importers may only import medical/pharmaceutical products approved by Cambodia for use within Cambodia.

Best regards. OML
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:31 am All importers of medicines/pharmaceutical products have to be approved and registered by the Ministry of Health and hold a valid import Licence.

One such company is Alliance Pharma Cambodge which holds Cambodian Licence ...CAM R2 3455 IP-06

And licenced importers may only import medical/pharmaceutical products approved by Cambodia for use within Cambodia.

Best regards. OML
All the posters are correct about the medicine, yes, it must be approved and registered by the Ministry of Health, that is understandable.
But that is not the problem I face, its what pharmacy stock the medicine that my partner needs daily. Like I have mentioned some pharmacists have tried to be helpful, but at the end of the day it seems to depend on the suppliers, how much they will charge in the first instance, that will be the end result of if the pharmacy can buy to stock and resell or not, the case seems to be the charge would be too high for the customers.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

I know this wouldn't work at the moment but, have you tried going to the ministry of health and seeing if they have a list of suppliers? You'd be surprised at how some people here genuinely want to help, with or without money involved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic