Experience with Bred Bank

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Experience with Bred Bank

Post by rockyboy612 »

I recently opened a personal savings account in preparation for an employment with a company. They seem to be super slow and have a very dodgy process.

1. they allowed me to open the account based on screenshots of my address
2. they told me to deposit the money, gave a deposit slip then told me to wait tmrw
3. I followed up the next day says wait till the evening - did not happen
4. I followed up the 3rd day says evening again, then continued to ignore me the whole day
5. I tried going to the branch (Norodom) but found it's closed where clearly a giant sign outside says 8am to 8pm

This feels very familiar as a traditional khmer style operations where mistakes happen and people are left out to wonder.

Anyone with similar experience?
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Experience with Bred Bank

Post by The Judge »

Never even heard of that bank, but I don't live anywhere close to that area either.

Curious, many employers will direct you to the bank they use, and sometimes have a rep come to the business to facilitate account opening paperwork if multiple new employees have just started.

Was there a reason you chose not to use any of the more reputable banks (ANZ, ABA, ACLEDA, Canadia, and others)?

I hope your initial deposit was a small one!
Last edited by The Judge on Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I don't know about opening an account there but I've used my OZ debit card to withdraw from my OZ bank accounts from their ATMs.

They have the highest daily withdrawal limit of $US1500 for me that I know of and local ATM fee of only $US4. So on that score, it gets the :thumb: from me. Many of the others have a lower limits of $USD1000 or even less and charge $USD5-6 for ATM fee.

Nevertheless, following your (or others) experience opening and maintaining an account there.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

The Judge wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:03 pm Was there a reason you chose not to use any of the more reputable banks (ANZ, ABA, ACLEDA, Canadia, and others)?
Bred is a French bank. Why would they be any less reputable than the locals? :wink:
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

It's a French bank, running in Cambodia, what did you expect? Relax!!

#LeTired
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:09 pm
The Judge wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:03 pm Was there a reason you chose not to use any of the more reputable banks (ANZ, ABA, ACLEDA, Canadia, and others)?
Bred is a French bank. Why would they be any less reputable than the locals? :wink:
I said I had never heard of it. Should I have said 'more popular in Cambodia'?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

The Judge wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:11 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:09 pm
I said I had never heard of it. Should I have said 'more popular in Cambodia'?
It's interesting really coz Bred bank is a relatively new entrant to Cambodia (I've only noticed them in the last 2 years I think). Then again ABA is owned by a Canadian Bank, Acleda a Thai bank, Sathapana is a Japanese bank, Hattha Kaksekar owned by Thai bank, Maybank a Malaysian bank etc etc

I dunno whether keeping the parent bank's brand name makes a difference but I would think so..reputation wise. Then again, I have no idea of Bred's reputation in France..maybe one for @Ghostwriter
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I don't think the Norodom spot is an actual branch, but rather their corporate office. At least that's the vibe I get from it.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

BRED is the ex- Banque Populaire + Natixis basically.
Banque Populaire is fine as far as i can say, Natixis is dodgy though. Big losses and shady investments.
About a Cambodian branch missteps....well, you know. Are Apple stores in L.A and PP delivering the same level of service and satisfaction ?
Mmmh, should, but didn't think so.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

The Judge wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:03 pm ... (ANZ...
ANZ Cambodia ceased to exist in 2019
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic