Expat in Kampot Needs Help After Traffic Accident

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Expat in Kampot Needs Help After Traffic Accident

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:59 pm What we probably don't expect, or up to now with the addition of the pandemic, is to be refused hospital treatment, or at least it too be made difficult to receive medical attention.
Denying treatment when there's no dosh to cover for it is common practice in the KoW. Problems will surface when you have no insurance and you end up needing high quality emergency care, maybe emergency surgery, and you only have some small notes in your pocket.
A 300k deposit is (seems?) outrageous, but for someone with serious head and leg damage without insurance you're looking at a pretty high hospital bill I guess.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:54 am
For information:
Expat Rudy Schmittlein, founder of The Dive Shop Cambodia and Paradise Villas, was in Kampot Referral Hospital after an accident, but friends have arranged his transfer to Phnom Penh and they have set up a fund-raiser.
Are you sure this is real? that facebook account looks fictitious. This has been verified by someone in person?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

This post and the following replies have been moved to a new topic. You can read and comment here:

Do You Have Problems Sourcing Medications in Cambodia?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:33 am
Stiliko wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:25 am So what’s the story about this “accident?” For instance: Car? Or moto? Did it involve another vehicle? Etc. Details?

I don’t recall it hitting the news.
2 vehicle RTA, victim was in smaller vehicle and suffered nasty head and leg injuries

Royal Phnom Penh required a 300K deposit before treatment, it has been said, due to the patient allegedly having a positive covid test
You mean $USD 300k? Last year, for the first time, I took up expat health insurance rather than my previous periodic travel insurance coz I figured I would be 'stuck' here for some considerable time... Besides, when does a habitual tourist become an expat?

Anyway, the company I went with for expat health insurance assured me I was covered for covid (even tho I'm supposedly entitled to free medical treatment at a local public hospital as advised by HE last year).

However, my membership certificate specifies covid treatment coverage for minimal expenses of $USD100k. On that basis, if you're referring to USD300k then, I would be covered...then again, I can't help but think they would make damn sure the fees exceeded USD100k, no?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:06 pm
Stiliko wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:25 am So what’s the story about this “accident?” For instance: Car? Or moto? Did it involve another vehicle? Etc. Details?

2 vehicle RTA, victim was in smaller vehicle and suffered nasty head and leg injuries

Royal Phnom Penh required a 300K deposit before treatment, it has been said, due to the patient allegedly having a positive covid test
You mean $USD 300k? Last year, for the first time, I took up expat health insurance rather than my previous periodic travel insurance coz I figured I would be 'stuck' here for some considerable time... Besides, when does a habitual tourist become an expat?

Anyway, the company I went with for expat health insurance assured me I was covered for covid (even tho I'm supposedly entitled to free medical treatment at a local public hospital as advised by HE last year).

However, my membership certificate specifies covid treatment coverage for minimal expenses of $USD100k. On that basis, if you're referring to USD300k then, I would be covered...then again, I can't help but think they would make damn sure the fees exceeded USD100k, no?
I'm no expert but I know surgery and ICU stays can be extremely expensive. You can easily clock 10k a day that way. That's why the coverage of medical insurance runs into millions. 300k is about 5-10% of what a medical insurance would cover, just to put the 300k number into perspective.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:06 pm

Yes Royal PP, 300k USD, their logic being that the surgeon and his team would need to isolate for 2 weeks afterwards due to covid+ patient

I believe that he since went to the khner soviet hospital and has regained consciousness but remains in critical condition
Last edited by Jerry Atrick on Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:49 pm

Yes Royal PP, 300k USD, their logic being that the surgeon and his team would need to isolate for 2 weeks afterwards due to covid+ patient
Smart.... Thinking.....
Makes a terrible amount of sense.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:52 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:49 pm

Smart.... Thinking.....
Makes a terrible amount of sense.
Maybe? But if every doctor in any country that treated a Covid patient had to isolate for 2 weeks then surely there would be no doctors left. Is it because the vaccines and PPE are so bad here?
drozd
Expatriate
Mexico

Post by drozd »

Sorry to write this but my friend Rudy didn't make it.
He passed away yesterday evening.

Rest in your paradise Rudy.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

sad news,
did he die from the accident?
No treatment in time?
or
Of covid?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic